Sunday, September 12, 2010

Topaz Lake

Though we had awesome weather this weekend, for once I wasn't in the mood for a trail ride. Instead I went letterboxing with my son and sunbathed at Topaz Lake. My legs were sheet white, because somehow, for some unknown reason, I spent my entire summer in blue jeans and riding breeches.

A fellow letterboxer who found one of my planted boxes, recently planted a letterbox in my area for me to find.

As soon as I read the description of the location of the letterbox, I jumped for joy and exclaimed, "It's hidden on Guinea Pig Island!"

Ever since I was a little kid, I called this outcropping of rock on Topaz Lake "Guinea Pig Island" because it is in the shape of a guinea pig if you look at it from the right angle. Unfortunately, the picture below isn't the best angle, but you can see that the small pile of rocks on the left could be a guinea pig's ear, and the mound on the right is the guinea pig's butt.

The letterbox was hidden somewhere in that gigantic guinea pig butt...

I actually didn't find the letterbox, but my son did. I tried to keep him busy taking photographs with my telephoto lens while I searched, but he was getting impatient, because he wanted to go swimming. If it weren't for him finding the letterbox, I would have given up. It's always disappointing to make a special trip and not find what you are looking for.

Here's a photo he took of a speedboat...

I love this photo he took of a fish in the water while he was standing on a huge rock...

Here's a shot I took of a seagull...

It's a good thing the seagull didn't see that fish.

13 comments:

Sydney_bitless said...

Beautiful! I want to see mountains again.

achieve1dream said...

Cool fish! I love that picture! Any idea what kind it is?

Maia said...

Ahh what a great day and I'm so glad you had this. My legs are big time white, too.

Oldqueen44 said...

The pics are beautiful. I was facinated by the fish picture. That fis looks huge.

fernvalley01 said...

What a beautiful area! I think that may have to go on my bucket list! (I will let you know if it ever happens ) Glad you got out , your son does sound like such a great kid!

Paint Girl said...

What a beautiful lake!! Sounds like so much fun and relaxing! I wish we had your weather up here, it rained cats and dogs again today, all day long! Miserable.

Leah Fry said...

Just curious: is that a natural or man-made lake?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Leah - The lake was formed by diverting waters from the West Walker River into a nearby basin that had previously contained a smaller, natural lake.

achieve1dream - It looks like a Catfish or even a Carp to me, but this lake stocks Rainbow Trout and German Browns. I really don't know what it is.

Crystal said...

Wow that lake is beautiful! I would just go there for the color. Wish it was warm enough to swim here.

JanLou said...

Wow, it looks lovely and that is on your doorstep. Lucky you. Fab pictures.

Once Upon an Equine said...

What a beautiful lake in which to swim. And so pretty. Is the water cold?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

The water was very cold. Don't be fooled by the pretty colors. All the pictures were edited in Capture One with the exception of the last one with the seagull. That's the true color of the lake.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Colt took an awesome photo of that speed boat....prefect rule of thirds, too! :)

Topaz Lake is gorgeous! What a great day to get out and go hiking and letterboxing. I'm the same way about finding a letterbox, too. I tend to over search and not want to give up.
Sometimes, if I just back track and start the search from the beginning again, I end up finding the letterbox finally.

~Lisa