Thursday, September 9, 2010

Typical Shenanigans

I got some pictures of Bombay and Gabbrielle's typical shenanigans when I'm busy riding Lostine. First, they poke their noses through the round pen railings and try to nudge my leg or bite my boot as we pass...


That doesn't get whatever result they are hoping for, so then they resort to trying to bite Lostine in the face as we pass...


They usually get bit back. After a few circles in each direction, Gabbrielle gets bored and starts trying to break the fence by putting all her weight in the middle of a wood panel and rubbing back and forth to itch herself, so Lostine and I have to open the gate and herd the troublemakers into the round pen where they promptly roll in the dirt...



That is usually followed by the "Tip Over the Step Stool Game". But first Gabbrielle must sharpen her teeth on the rubber mat...

Mmmmmm. Tastes like licorice and dirty boots.

She manages to rock the stool back and forth...

But Bombay has had enough of Gabbrielle's pussy-footing...

Just knock the dang thing over, will ya?

Bombay's impatience gets him a bite in the butt...

Now Gabbrielle has got to figure out how to pick the step stool back up so she can return to rocking it back and forth...

Oh wait! But now we are on to the next game. It's called "Desensitize Gabbrielle to the Lead Rope."

Usually humans do it to horses, but in my case, the horses do it to the horses...

Oh shoot! All the fun gets interrupted by a nosy neighbor coming outside to see what I am taking pictures of. She's talking on her cell phone telling someone how stupid I am to be taking pictures from the back of a horse. Now Bombay is more interested in the audience and telephone chatter...

Gabbrielle uses the opportunity to make her three-foot get-away...

Bombay starts a new game of twirling the rope into a lasso.

9 comments:

frizzlesworld said...

I would say to the horses very loudly, "That lady sure is rude for interrupting our fun, isn't she? She doesn't know anything about horses so she should mind her own business!"
Maybe use a singsong voice too, lol!

Your horses are smart, and they definitely seem like a handful. I think you handle them beautifully. Oh, and you need to take some pics of the little kitten. :)

achieve1dream said...

What fun! They are such characters!

fernvalley01 said...

What characters!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

frizzlesworld - I couldn't take a picture of the black kitten the night she came around, because it would have just been black on black. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the kitten since that night. I suspect she does have a home around here and just wandered onto my property. She didn't eat all the food I set out that night, so perhaps she wasn't starving but was just going through a gangly stage of growth. There are a lot of young people who can't find jobs moving in with their parents in the houses around here, and I'll bet she belongs to one of them.

Katharine Swan said...

Love the pictures! And, my goodness, Gabbrielle is sure getting light! They are almost like twins now!

Sydney_bitless said...

Gabrielle is sure getting white this year. Bombay reminds me of my pony who takes his halter off the other pony he is out with and proceeds to chase said other pony and beat him with his own halter. Evil pony.

Crystal said...

Lol your horses are pretty interesting, they make me laugh.

lytha said...

your horses are all beautiful in their own way, all so different from each other. i love how they get along so well, even when she's biting his butt, it wasn't mean.

your sand looks so lovely to roll in, my horse would roll and roll and roll if he visited you!

i would love to see some films of your horses interacting.

~lytha

Stephanie said...

Your horses have such great personalities!