Sunday, October 24, 2010

Can't Stop the Rain

On rainy days my family tends to go to the movies together. Today we saw "Hereafter". On the way home, I was white-knuckling it as my husband hydroplaned the car between lanes while passing cars. As we got closer to home we could see quite a build up of water on the shoulders of the roads, streams where there shouldn't be streams. I knew our property would be flooded, because with all of my horse troubles lately, I haven't had time to spread the manure in the low spots.

Sure enough, the path I must take to the barn is flooded. I had to put everything from the tack room into the back of the horse trailer while I've been painting the walls and ceiling. I can see water pouring out the back of the trailer, which means it is pouring in through the broken window, which means that boxes and boxes of horse supplies are getting soaked.

You can see that the 70 MPH winds threw the hay tarp around, knocking all the large rocks down that we placed on it to keep it down.

I had to take pictures of the barn through a window and screen, because I couldn't take the camera out in the rain.

You can see the horses all in their stalls watching the water rise around them. I have to go out there in a few minutes in my rain boots to feed them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the barn just floats away if this keeps up.

8 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That's a lot of water! I'm so sorry everything got wet.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Big puddles you've got there. Just catching up. Sorry to read about Bombay's abscess. And your dogs in their Halloween costumes are adorable! Your studio is coming along nicely.

fernvalley01 said...

Goodness! that is nasty ! we had a bit of rain last night and Fri as well, but nothing like that.BTW how was the movie?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wowza! When it rains it pours. We'd be happy to take some of that rain from you. It's been so dry here....and cold....brrr!

~Lisa

Leah Fry said...

The rain we had on Saturday was like that. It rained super hard for several hours and the ground just couldn't absorb it fast enough. I don't mind the rain, but getting it all at once sort of defeats the point.

Hope the stuff in the trailer is okay.

Jame said...

I'm sorry, but your horse lake looks worse than our horse mudpit...but I'll take mud any day, over what happened last year-120 mile an hour winds blew a 16 panel solar charger off it's stand & sent it spinning over to land just 5 feet from the barn where all our animals (2 draft horses, 2 cows, & barn kittens) were waiting out the storm. Mud is good, yes?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

fernvalley01 - I enjoyed the movie. It was rather inconsistent. In some parts there was some intense suspense while in others it was all just drama and dialogue, but it all tied together well. The cinematography was amazing. It didn't take a way out perspective on the afterlife, but based it on a number of well known stories and news events, making it believable.

When the movie ended, a man nearby us said, "Thank God!" but we thought he was saying that because a man nearby him who had been crinkling snack packaging really loudly throughout the movie got up and left. I don't think he said it because he was relieved that the movie was over.

Rising Rainbow said...

We're looking about the same way here so I can totally understand your frustration and it's only Oct. I think it's going to be a long wet winter.