Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Jaunt Around Lake Tahoe

I took a break from my ongoing studio painting project and fixing things that break and wrapping poultices around my horse's hoof in order to return some equipment to my office. I spent the rest of the day driving around Spooner Lake and Lake Tahoe taking pictures and looking for a good spot to plant a letterbox.

I first stopped at a vista I've driven past hundreds of times on the way to and from work all these years. I finally had time to stop there and explore since I got laid off. Just below a deck with restrooms were trails leading everywhere.


Unfortunately, they don't give you time to explore all of them with their 20-minute parking limit. I ran around looking for a winter-proof spot to hide my letterbox, but people were everywhere. I finally found a secret trail where I planned to plant it, but then I heard some strange noises and rustling in the bushes that sent me high-tailing it back to civilization. I decided that the 20-minute parking limit would put too much pressure on the letterbox hunters anyway.  Despite all the locations where I stopped, I couldn't find a good spot for my letterbox, so I'll have to save it for the next trip.


I stumbled upon someone's memorial, which made me wonder how it ended up here in these bushes...


I love this next photo, because the water in the lake is blue while the water pooled on the rock is red...





Despite all the beauty, someone always has to ruin it somehow...


I took pictures of fall foliage that I'll be including in this week's Sunday Stills. Come back and see more pictures then...

7 comments:

Jeni said...

Beautiful NuzzMuzz

fernvalley01 said...

You certainly do have some beautiful areas around you .Too bad about the graffiti.Makes you wonder why

Stacey said...

Great pics as always! You and Laughing Orca Ranch post about letterboxing, now I'm tempted to go read more about it.

Crystal said...

that is really cool with the red water on the rock, wonder what caused that?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I wonder if the red water is caused by iron and minerals leaching from the rocks?
That's so ridiculous they put a limit on the amount of time you can park. How do they enforce it? Do they have meters? A camera?

Sorry about not being able to place your letterbox.
With views and beautiful trails like those, I'd want to explore for hours, not a measely 20 minutes. Poo!

~Lisa

Reddunappy said...

Beautiful country!

My Mom worked at a resort at Lake Tahoe when she was a teenager. I remember pictures of her folks cabin with about 6 foot of snow!
That would have been in the early to mid. 60's My folks grew up in Concord, CA.

Leah Fry said...

Beautiful pix.

I covet your studio.