Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On the Homefront

I take back what I said about being excited about having the time to clean house. I've forgotten that no matter how fast I can clean house, the natural course of things can mess it up faster than I can clean. See all those tiny gold Locust tree leaves on my walkway? Well, no matter how often I sweep them away, they keep coming back and getting tracked all over my freshly mopped, vacuumed and/or scrubbed floors.

It's been raining since Friday. You can't see because the clouds are in the way, but there's snow in the mountains.

The horses are in their stalls with blankets on, because it is cold and wet and they were sinking up to their fetlocks in mud. They are going to be full of themselves once I release them when the sun comes out. I'll have to remember to bring the movie camera, because ultimately one or two of them (usually Bombay and Gabbrielle) get the fitz, slip in mud and fall down. Splat.

Our yard is puddling in the low spots. My husband says that we are getting about a year's worth of rain out of this one system or series of systems that plan to stick around for the rest of the week.

It's a good thing I bought those rain boots for mucking, because now I need them for rain and mud. I wore them to the movie theater today. My husband had a couple of days off from work, so we saw "The Social Network". I enjoyed it. Good dialogue. Usually when I see a movie in the theater I'm nervously shifting around in my chair the entire time thinking about all the work I've got to do back home, but for once I was able to see a movie without being in a hurry.

When we got home, Scrappy did his happy dance. He scrunches his body up tight, wags his tail fast, rears up on his hind legs and spins his front paws like he's pedaling a bicycle to show us how glad he is to see us. The other day I went out to get the mail and my husband said that Scrappy got upset and started barking at the door, so he picked him up and let him watch me through the window. Scrappy was very tense in his arms, but as soon as Scrappy saw me come back up the driveway, he instantly relaxed and started wagging his tail. It's like having a toddler with separation anxiety.

8 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It's been raining here too. I can see the snow on the mountains. Enjoy your time off. And yes, cleaning is never ending!!

Crystal said...

yikes snow! its way to early for snow.
Scrappy sounds sweet.

The D-Meister said...

"God made dirt and dirt don't hurt."

That phrase usually applies to kindergartners who dropped their fruit snacks on the floor, but it can also apply to cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Instead of viewing cleaning as something with a beginning and an end, I try to see it as something that needs a bit of attention each day, kind of like showering, eatin, or sleeping. This change in attitude made me less resentful of the whole cleaning vs dirtying thing.

Glad you got to sit still through a movie. Nice toi relax, eh?

Aw, Scrappy reminds me of my Blossom, just at 20% of her size. She was a rescue and she acted the same way.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

When you speak about Scrappy I always think of Dobbie. They act so much alike. It's so cute, and endearing.

We've been getting some rain here, too. Bad timing with the balloon fiesta though. I hope we'll be able to go back and use our rain check...without it raining again! This is so unlike our typical early October New Mexico weather.

~Lisa

JennyB said...

Heh just be careful or you'll jinx yourself! Dogs with real seperation anxiety that completely tear the house apart when you go away are no fun lol

~~JennyB, Horsefeathers

achieve1dream said...

Oh no I hope it isn't separation anxiety. That is so miserable to deal with. I'm glad he's settled in so nicely though and you seem to have bonded well with him. :)

We actually need some rain because it is dry and dusty, but I'm not looking forward to it. I don't like dark, muddy, cold, wet, rainy days hehe.

I look forward to seeing a video of the splat. :D

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay! I just realized I'm finally all caught up on your blog now :)

~Lisa