Saturday, November 27, 2010

Bombay's Snowy Day Antics

For some reason, Bombay always manages to do something totally hilarious on rainy and snowy days when I can't bring my camera outside with me because it will get wet.  It was snowing off and on all day, so I didn't want to put the horses in their outdoor pens.  However, Lostine peed so much in her stall that I had to let her out so that she wouldn't be standing in it.  I left the door to her stall open to air it out and let her choose where she wants to be as the weather changes, but both Bombay and Gabbrielle had to stay indoors or Lostine would rip their blankets.

At lunch time, I started cleaning stalls.  I decided to let the horses hang out on the RV lane together, because they like to root around for grass under the snow and that keeps them busy enough that they don't rip each other's blankets.  All of the sudden all three of their heads popped up and they watched something off on the horizon.  Deer, I'm guessing.  All three spooked and stampeded back into the paddock to be closer to me.  I started shoveling faster to try to get the stalls cleaned, so that I could separate them back into their stalls again.

I heard a ruckus of galloping hooves and looked out the door to see what was going on.  In my mind I imagined it was Lostine chasing the other two around, trying to rip their blankets with her teeth.  Instead, I saw the two mares come racing out from behind the barn and Bombay chasing them with this huge tumbleweed in his mouth. 

He kept poking Gabbrielle in the butt with it, and she was kicking out in protest.  Soon everyone settled down, and Bombay used the tumbleweed to scratch Gabbrielle's back.  She enjoyed it for a while and then turned, grabbed it with her teeth, and the two of them pulled it apart like a wishbone.  Then Bombay carried his half over to the water trough and dropped it in to watch it float. 

I finished cleaning stalls and herded Lostine into her stall first, making sure the door was locked tight before I brought out the wheelbarrow of hay.  If Lostine knew it was feeding time, the other two horses' blankets would be shredded in an instant as a warning to move off, so that she could get fed first.  I then herded Gabbrielle into her stall, and the instant I reached up to close her door, a loud slam rang out from next door.

Gabbrielle was just as startled as I was.  She reared up and lunged for the doorway.  I screamed, because I thought she was going to plow me down.  She slammed on her brakes.  I shut the door, and then turned around to see what the heck was going on next door.  The old jerk came out in the middle of a snowstorm to work under the hood of his truck.  I yelled out, "Good timing, guy!" in my most sarcastic voice.  I don't know if he heard me or not.  He's half deaf.  But my goal is to be so rude to these people that their only desire will be to avoid me.

Anyway, at least up until my nosy neighbor came outside, I had a good laugh over Bombay's antics.  In closing, and in apology for not being able to have my camera ready for such a silly moment, I'm leaving you with a picture of some cookies my daughter and I baked today.  Usually, you put Hershey's Kisses in the middle of them, but my husband picked up Hershey's Bells, which make the cookies come out looking a little obscene...

10 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

oh my!those are not the ones you should take to the church bake sale!No worries on the pics , you describe it so well I was picturing "bombays Games" in my head!

fernvalley01 said...

On second thought , maybe the church bakes sale at the nosy neighbors church?

Breathe said...

Okay between the tumbleweed story and those cookies, I'm DYING over here!!!

You are too funny Nuzz. LOL!

Reddunappy said...

My mares were full of it too when I turned them out, running and playing and shying at the bike riders going by on the road.

OMG the cookies are so funny!!!
I guess I wont use bells to make them! he he he But I bet they taste good!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

ROFLMBO!!! Those cookies....LOL! LOL! Those are actually my favorite kind of cookies, but after seeing your photo, I will never make them with the chocolate bells.
Those "bells" should be probably be covered with little glittery pasties, don't ya think?

Between the sexy cookies and your prankster Bombay's tumbleweed shenanigans....I'm rolling in laughter!

~Lisa

Katharine Swan said...

I laughed for about 5 minutes over that picture of the cookies, and called my husband over to show him, too. That should totally be your new holiday tradition! Thanks so much for the laugh... I love reading Bombay stories, too!

Leah Fry said...

Great story about Bombay and the tumbleweed!

Oh my. Booby bonbons LOL!

Sydney_bitless said...

LMFAO! THOSE COOKIES HAHHA!
Oh man, thats good.

Crystal said...

those cookies are awesome, funny!
And I am just picturing Bombay with the tumbleweed chasing the others around, thanks for a good laugh!

achieve1dream said...

LOL! Those cookies are hilarious!

It sounds like Bombay had a ball with the tumbleweed. :) Chrome would be in heaven if he had tumbleweed toys laying around lol. I wish I could have seen it but I totally understand not taking the camera out in the snow. Last year when we got so much snow (unusual for our area) I had to hold my umbrella in one hand and my camera in the other to keep it from getting wet because I just HAD to have pictures of Chrome in his very first snow. :)