Thursday, November 18, 2010

Genoa at Dusk

After leaving a photo shoot, I decided to drive along the foothills to avoid the rush hour traffic on the highway. I drove past a couple of deer on the side of the road and said, "Oh shoot! What kind of a photographer am I to pass up that?"

A little further down the road a doe ran in front of me and I had to slam on my brakes. I watched it run down the hill onto a golf course and knew that by the time I could pull over, park, and get my camera out of the trunk, she'd be gone.

So, I continued on. When I reached the town of Genoa, supposedly Nevada's oldest town, I saw a buck and a doe in some trees. I pulled over, grabbed my camera, took a few shots, turned around and saw something like twenty deer up and across the road.

I used my telephoto lens to capture the activity, so that none of the drivers could blame me for scaring deer across the road in front of them. There was a near accident at one point, as you will see...


The locals know to drive slower than the posted 25 MPH at dawn and dusk, but sometimes the tourists are so busy rubbernecking at the interesting buildings and mansions in this area that they don't see what is on the road in front of them.  In the case below, I thought the guy in the van was leaning on his horn to get the deer out of the way, but in the series of shots I took, I could see that he was glaring in his side view mirror and probably honking at the tailgater behind him who was following so close that he couldn't see the deer in front of the van.


Queen of the hill...


This doe was actually pawing at the sand just like horses do.  Below I snapped a shot right after a rather grown up adolescent fawn ran across the road to nurse.  Mama pushed her away, so I suspect it's weaning time.


A buck in the cat tails...


A fight broke out when one deer ran across the road and ran right into the personal space of another deer...


Lots of old barns with photogenic wood panels and wickedly bare trees...


Hmmmm. If the electric and gas meters weren't there, I'd think the picture were taken in the 1800's.

9 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

I remember Genoa~ Hubby and I stopped there during one of our trips to Tahoe. It is such cute little town~

fernvalley01 said...

Wow! you got some great shots , a real pro!

lytha said...

we're dreaming of a trip to tahoe/reno this christmas break, to use some of my man's freq.flyer miles and see a place we've both never been. also, we'd love to meet you. but i don't think my parents would be thrilled about us leaving. (although they drive to reno every year, they helped fund our christmas trip and really want us with them.)

Leah Fry said...

How did I live in Nevada for 6 years and never hear of Genoa? I'd say the deer maybe have the status of pests there.

Sydney_bitless said...

Funny you posted about deer, so did I. Though mine was a deer of a different colour. I suspect when it comes to traffic and them getting into stuff deer are a nuisance.

Crystal said...

hmm great pics! some action ones even!

Ms Martyr said...

Beautiful photos. Driving with my 80 year old mother-in-law on mountain roads with deer springing out of nowhere is always a death defying experience.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Those deer photos are incredible, especially since it was dusk, a very difficult time to focus a camera on moving objects with low lighting. Cool!


~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

That is so incredibly cool!!!! Fantastic pictures!!