Sunday, November 7, 2010

Just in Time

One thing about home improvement projects is that you can never buy enough of whatever you need. We usually end up having to make 2 or 3 extra trips into the city because we ultimately run out of something. So, even though I was just in the city yesterday, I had to go again today.

I was torn, because I wanted to take Scrappy with me to try on his jackets or sweaters to assure that the fit would be correct, but that meant I couldn't go to the home improvement store or do the marketing, because dogs aren't allowed in those stores and I didn't feel comfortable leaving him in the car alone. I decided to just trust my intuition regarding the fit.

I exchanged the size M for a size L. There was no XL in the brand I bought. There was a bigger fleece jacket in a different brand, but the Velcro straps were too thick and didn't look comfortable. It turned out that the size L fleece jacket fit perfectly...

I did our grocery shopping at Wal-Mart and found that they had plaid doggy sweaters for just five dollars. Even though Scrappy's a boy, I thought he'd look smashing in this purple plaid...

My son accused me of not really wanting to keep Scrappy warm, but just trying to make him look cute. Scrappy didn't feel like posing much today, so I got an action shot of him jumping up on the bed to escape my camera...

Pretty cute feet, huh?

This purchase was just in time, because it started raining when I drove home, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. We went from temps in the 70's to temps in the 40's just like that. I was able to capture a few snapshots of sunsets with the clouds and fall colors around the neighborhood...



With this (hopefully) last purchase toward renovating our spa / tack room into a photography studio, I should be able to actually set up my backdrops and lights pretty soon and show you all some pictures of the new studio. Right now our house is a mess, because I had to move everything that was in that room out, so I'm hard pressed to find some extra space for our drum set.

My farrier agreed to let me go to his house and take pictures of his horses and dog to use in my portfolio. He's also going to pass out my business card to all of his clients. Now that the weather has taken a nose dive toward winter, I suspect I won't receive many calls to photograph horses, but with the studio I might get a few clients wanting family and pet portraits for Christmas cards.

12 comments:

Sydney_bitless said...

I hope your studio goes well. Please do show us some pictures you have taken with it once it's up. I have to admit other than using reflectors I have very limited experience with studio lights other than helping my aunt whos a photographer when I was younger.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Scrappy sure looks dashing in his purple plaid!

Mikey said...

If you were here I'd hire you to do our Xmas card for sure. That reminds me I need to get on that... take some Xmas pics of your farriers pets, it will remind people like me...
Scrappy looks fabulous!! I love the plaid! You're such a good pet owner to make sure he's comfortable this winter. Again, reminding me I need to find a sweater to replace last years (that ahem *someone* ate) for LD, who doesn't grow enough hair. I totally believe in dressing the dogs if they need it. Sounds like it's about to get BRRRR cold up your way.

Anonymous said...

Scrappy looks very snazzy in plaid.

And, yes, those little paws are adorable!

duffylou said...

Scrappy is really going to appreciate the sweaters when the thermometer starts to really drop. My little dog loves keeping warm.

Your photos are lovely. Good luck drumming up customers!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You might be surprised. I loved taking photos of Baby Doll in the snow or covered in frost. Horses are so beautiful in the snow and photos can capture that wonderully.

I really don't like that snow is coming your way, because that usually means we'll get it next.

We've not had any snow this Fall, which as you know it's pretty odd. Last Fall we had several snowfalls in October and November and lots of cold wind. This Fall the weather has been gorgeous and warm!
My daughter was outside jumping on her trampoline wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Crazy!

Please no snow!

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh! And Scrappy looks dashing in his purple plaid sweater and warm and cozy in his grey fleece sweater.

Do you have a Target not too far away? I've found some adorable doggie t-shirts and sweaters in their discount bins at the front of the store. I bought Dobbie her Pumpkin shirt there for a two dollars last year. :)
~Lisa

fernvalley01 said...

Scrappy looks quite regal in purple! Sounds like things are coming together nicely ,and so nice of your farrie to help with your marketing.

Dreaming said...

Yup, your weather is heading our way! It seems you are one day ahead of us. Today was our last day in the 70's - tomorrow we'll only be in the 60's then snow on Tuesday and throughout the week. Ugh! I'll miss our beautiful fall!

alive said...

your blog is good and usefull.thank you.

Breathe said...

Purple is the color of kings. Scrappy wears it well.

Holiday photos are great! Hope to see photos of the studio up soon!

achieve1dream said...

Those sweaters are cute! I mentioned in my last comment that the sweaters work better than the jackets, but I see now you were getting the stretchy fleece sweater ones (when I think dog jacket I think of those stiff ones with sleeves that are impossible to put on lol). Good job! And yes you're right he looks awesome in purple!!

I can't wait to see pictures of your studio.