Monday, November 8, 2010

Sneak Peek

Here's a sneak peak of the photography studio that I've been working on for the past 5 weeks...


I ordered a 6x9' backdrop frame that came with three muslin backdrops in black, white and the type of green that allows you to superimpose your own background. I placed an old ottoman under the muslin for a platform. I also ordered two strobe lights, an umbrella that is silver on the inside and black on the outside, and a softbox.


Previously the walls were green and the carpet was a darker green. I had to paint the walls and ceiling white and install a gray carpet to avoid having all that green color picked up and placed on people's and pets' faces.


I'm planning on filling up this desk with order forms.  Right now all I've got on it is a photo album with example of my photos.


I'm also building a gallery on the wall across from where the subjects sit...


This is the eyesore section of the room...


I had to shove drop cloths under the rim of the spa since it popped up out of the deck years ago.  I just fear that someone will bring her kitten or ferret in for a portrait and it will get loose and slip down underneath the spa.  Then we'll have to call either a spa company or the fire department to lift the spa all the way out of the deck to retrieve the animal.  I don't need that kind of nightmare.

Ultimately I want to remove the spa all together and fill in the hole with more decking.  That would give me a lot more space.  We've already tried repairing the spa, but the repairs are very costly and only last until the next winter when the ground swells with water and pushes the spa back up out of the deck, ripping out all the wires and tubes underneath. 

To truly fix it, we would have to hire a carpenter to build steps and a platform that is at least three feet higher than where it sits now.  That would mean having less space because of the steps.  My feeling is that if I want to soak in hot water, I'll take a bath.  I'd rather have a deck to walk on.

Our snow ended up only coming as far down as the foothills, so we have a white view, but no snow on the ground here in the valley.  That's fine with me. 

11 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Looks great so far!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That's looking really nice!

Mikey said...

It looks fabulous! That's going to be so great!!

Breathe said...

Looks GREAT! You look ready to open up!

I hear you about the spa. Ours is perpetually out of order.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Realizing that I've seen this space in person....what a huge difference between then and now! It's apparent how hard you've been working getting things ready. Awesome job! And I really like the photo wall, too.
It's great that you've got some windows in your studio. You'll have the option to take photos using soft natural light. Very nice!

~Lisa

ps I'm glad to read you didn't get clobbered by any snow. Today I was outside in a short sleeve shirt. Weird weather we're having this Fall. :-O

lytha said...

looks great, i love the grey carpet.

but this room is really confusing me. it appears that it has 3 sliding glass doors. is that true? how can a room have so many fullsize sliding glass doors? oh wait, it was originally outdoors, it's an added-on room? that's why there's a hottub in it???

it's an architectural mystery to me *lol*

oh, i also love that you have a green screen!!! how cool!!!

Horses Are Our Lives said...

the studio looks amazing! Could you take the hot tub outside on a deck??? and here I am looking to get a hot tub, probably need to wait until next year! I hope to be soaking in a jet tub soon.

thanks for visiting my blog! I enjoyed your comments!
Brenda

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

To explain the mystery of the three sliding glass doors... This was indeed an outdoor patio and deck at one time. The owners before us decided to cover it, but went a little too far by making it into a room illegally. There is actually a septic pipe sticking up out of the ground in that room. Also, because they built the walls and ceiling directly over the patio, the patio cracked and the room settled, so now the floor underneath the carpet is uneven and jagged. If we need to sell this house, it will be difficult in its condition. We'd have to bulldoze the entire room and possibly rebuild the add on with a proper foundation. The only way we could buy the house was by having a seller's real estate agent, a buyer's real estate agent, and a home inspector who were all willing to look the other way regarding this add on. So, when people tell me to "just move" regarding the nosy, noisy neighborhood I live in, you can now see that it's never that simple. If we had to pay to do anything more to this room to make it legal or demolish it all together, we wouldn't have any money to move.

Dreaming said...

You have done a fabulous job on your studio. It looks great! Can't wait to see more of your work on the walls!!!
I laughed about the ferret comment - I can almost see one scampering to that nice, dark opening. Ouch - good for you to think ahead!

Crystal said...

yikes that room sounds like a nightmare, but you have done a really good job fixing it up, if it wrent for all the sliding doors and the spa in it, it would look like just another room. Looks great, very professional.

achieve1dream said...

Wow that looks great! Very professional. I like it. I can't wait until you get your first client. I'm jealous you get to do this. I would love to be a photographer. :)