Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Snow, Hoof Updates and Five-Foot Wingspans


It snowed today.


Bombay wasn't happy.

In other news, I continue to pick out the horses' hooves. The farrier found a rock lodged in Bombay's abscess, which was preventing it from healing. The rock was the same color as his hoof, so I thought the hole had just healed up fast. He stuck a shoe nail into it to show me just how deep it goes and told me to keep the rocks out of it and pour some Betadine solution in there.

Lostine was having good days and bad days. Each time I got my hopes up that her lameness was only temporary, I'd be let down the next day to see her limping again. I went ahead and put the Old Macs on her to offer some cushioning, and that seemed to do the trick. She was galloping all over the place. Unfortunately, I can't keep those shoes on her all the time, because they rub and collect gunk.

Gabbrielle is actually moving a lot better at the trot than she was this spring and summer. I don't know if she was just having a good day or if this is a trend and she actually is healing from whatever the heck has been ailing her. When I took Lostine in to the vet with her limp, he wasn't seeing it at first, and Gabbrielle's lameness is a lot less obvious now than Lostine's was, so I doubt I would get anywhere if I asked the vet to investigate. Hopefully, this miraculous healing will last and I'll be able to start riding Gabbrielle again once the ground dries out.

Regarding the dogs, my husband reported that Midge was nearly attacked by a Great Horned Owl last night. This is the second time this has happened, and my husband had to shoo the owl away. He did some research and found a story about a lady with four Chihuahuas, who let them out at night to do their business, and one dog came back needing stitches while another dog disappeared. A Great Horned Owl had descended upon the dogs, tried to pick up one and took off with the other. They can carry off pets that weigh less than 15 pounds. Midge weighs 38 pounds, so I doubt an owl could carry her off, but it could cut her up with its talons, and of course it could easily carry Scrappy away. So, we are going to have to take the dogs out on leashes at night from now on. We've always felt our fencing would protect the dogs from coyotes, but we never thought a threat could come from the sky.

9 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, my! My little cat, Daisy, only weighs 5 pounds and we do occassionally have an owl stop in our cottonwood tree! I've always worried about her, but she's nearly 13 years old now, so she must go in the garage at night! She's outdoors with our two (neutered) males.

Mikey said...

How crazy! I've heard that owls do that, but I've never known anyone it's happened to. Poor Midge!

fernvalley01 said...

Poor Midge , that would have been scary.My cat came in with some wounds (that of course abscessed because ,well its a cat) 3 on one side of her and one on the other , we wondered if an owl or a hawk had tried

Leah Fry said...

Snow already? Guess that's about right for your area. I don't even want to think about it.

I always look for hawks, but never even thought about owls! I know we have them, but not what kind.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yikes! I've often thought about the attack of an gh owl and how vulnerable my Dobbie would be at night. Thankfully, she does pee on demand, and I am right beside her when she ventures out for her nightime pee session :)

Makes me glad that I keep bird netting above our chicken coop, though. The chicken house door is kept open all year long, except for when it snows or is below 20 degrees. I'm sure that a gh owl could have easily swooped in nightly for a chicken snack if the bird netting wasn't there.

~Lisa

ps I'm sorry about the lameness issues. Apache is still off and on lame, too. Walking downhill and or on the flats, noone would see any lameness at all. It's only when she walks uphill....and it's as if she is using her leg to pull herself up the hill.
Makes me wonder if this might even be something that she's learned to do after her injury in July, to protect her shoulder. And now she needs to be taught how to walk properly?

I've been thinking about this a lot, and how her issues remind me of how I had to go through physical therapy after my knee surgery to relearn how to walk and use my leg correctly. What do you think?

Vaquerogirl said...

Owls! Yikes! Glad I have BIG dogs!

Breathe said...

Snow? Egads.

I'm sorry to hear about the continued lameness challenges. I was hoping you'd at least have time to ride and work with the horses now that you've got a little more control of your schedule.

Owls.I know they have to eat, but you'd think they'd stick to mice.

Paint Girl said...

Snow? Crazy!
Can't believe that Midge was almost taken by an owl! I've heard of that before.
Hope the horses lameness isn't serious. Lameness is so frustrating.

achieve1dream said...

Wow that is scary about the owl! I wouldn't have thought of one carrying off a dog either but I guess it makes sense. I'm glad Midge was okay.

I'll send healing thoughts to the horses to go along with the progress they are making. Hopefully they will all heal up quickly.