Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gifts of Music, Song and Dance

Do you recall the things you wished or prayed for when you were younger?  Have you noticed if you ever received them?  I like to tell this story about how when I was a young adult in college, I wished that I would be surrounded by live music.  I was friends with two radio D.J.s in college who were also musicians.  They both lived across the hall from me in the dorms, and they would sit on a bench outside of my room playing their guitars and singing.  I felt really happy when they played and sang.

I also went to a campus nightclub whenever they had live music and somehow always ended up living in the same dorm hall or apartment building as many of the bands that played in the nightclub, so they would visit me and bring their instruments or I would visit them and they would play and sing for me. 

I ended up marrying a man who could play several instruments and sing, so I was covered in the live music department.  However, as the years wore on, life became all about work and earning money, and I even stopped listening to music on CDs while my husband only rarely played his guitars and the piano.  Our kids were always taking music lessons in school and could play multiple instruments.  We'd go to parades, school ball games, concerts and band competitions to watch them march and play.  My daughter's high school band got to play at George W. Bush's inauguration in Washington D.C.

Then our daughter left for college and our son was taking a guitar class, but never really participated in any performances.  He made friends with another musician and the two of them tried out for the school talent show.  I thought they were fantastic, but they didn't make the cut.  My son and his friend weren't deterred.  They still practice and talk about playing in coffee houses together.  I feel fortunate that I get to listen to my son's music.

My daughter came home for the holidays and showed us a video of a group dance performance she did for her Hip Hop class at the university.  All semester she had been talking about how bad she is at dance, but she was having so much fun.  Her performance in the video blew us away.  She stole the show.  Not only does she have rhythm and knows the moves, but her personality beamed enthusiasm.

That brought back memories of when I enrolled her in ballet as a preschooler.  I remember taking her to the dance studio every Wednesday afternoon in her pink leotard, tutu, and ballet shoes.  At the end of each class, the instructor led the girls around in a line on their tiptoes saying, "Chugga chugga chugga chugga choo choo!"

Ultimately, the girl in front of my daughter would be moving too fast and the girl behind would be moving too slow, pulling on her waist, and my daughter would fall down.  Then the entire train had to stop to let her back on.  After two years she lost interest, and moved on to other things.  Who knew she'd end up doing Hip Hop?  And do it well!

The Hip Hop video isn't on YouTube, but my daughter is in a music video with her friends. The band is called While We're Up and this is their very enjoyable cover of Frosty the Snowman. For those of you stuck in snow and freezing temperatures like we are here in the Eastern Sierra, you'll enjoy winter in Tempe, Arizona in this video. Wait for it in the end...

You can also find the video at this link.



May everyone be surrounded by music, song and dance this holiday season.

7 comments:

duffylou said...

Puff up your chest proud mama! That is fantastic.

Also, don't tease us with saying there's a dance video. Tell her to upload it to youtube.

Happy Holidays!

Vaquerogirl said...

Nice video! Thanks so much for sharing!

fernvalley01 said...

Get that girls vid on you tube momma!I like the song and vid, but sure would love to see your daughters video. I love that you are so proud of your wonderful family .Wishing you all the music your heart desires

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I suggested she upload the dance video to YouTube, but there are other people in her dance group and she doesn't know if they'd appreciate it.

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow! Talented kids, that's pretty cool.

achieve1dream said...

I want to see her dance movie too, but I understand not wanting to put a video up that has other people in it without their permission.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I thoroughly enjoyed that video. They are very talented!
I sure would love to see your beautiful daughter doing her dance moves, though. I bet she rocks!

Yes, I, too have always loved music. My favorite is parade bands. Makes me get so excited! My cousins in CA marched and played in the Rose Bowl Parade every year when they were in college. I loved it!

My home was filled with music and singing this afternoon when my Dad, visiting from NC, and my twinlings were having a jam session on their guitars. I didn't want them to stop. :)

Happy Holidays!

~Lisa