Saturday, December 18, 2010

Indoor Arena Photography

I meant to mention this to everyone. You know how when you go to a horse show and attempt to take pictures of the horses moving around an indoor arena, all the pictures come out blurry -- even those in which the horses are merely moving at a walk? Something as simple as the turn of the rider's head can result in ghost trails. The only photography experience I've had that has had worse results is trying to take pictures of my son playing basketball in an indoor gym. You just get a bunch of orange blurs with comet tails.

Anyway, I've been reading a book written by an equine photographer, and he said that he has to rent strobe lights and install them himself in the ceilings of indoor arenas before the show. Then he has a remote trigger attached to his camera that sets off the flash of those overhead strobes when he hits the shutter release. He said it is incredibly expensive, and that most professional basketball stadiums already have them installed for photographers. Well, no wonder us hobbyists can't get good shots.

Also, he said that the short burst of a strobe from above is a lot less disturbing and distracting to the horses than a flash attached to the camera. Good to know. All I have to say is yay for outdoor arenas... in the summertime, of course.

6 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I guess that makes me feel better that even the profs have trouble at indoor horse shows. I always get so many poor photos that I'm proud when I can get one or two passable ones.

fernvalley01 said...

Interesting , and explains why I get such crappy shots indoors. I will keep on stummling along , because every now and then I get a good one

duffylou said...

I never even thought of having to install a strobe light. Can you imagine shooting at B rated shows where there might not be a catwalk?
You'd have to use a ladder to get to the ceiling.

Thank you for the information. I will be less frustrated from now on when those indoor action shots are blurred.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well that explains it. Indoor lighting and action just don't bode well for photography without a little help.

~Lisa

Crystal said...

Wow I have wondered forever how to get good indoor shots and I only try now in ones with white wall, they seem brighter. And high ISO but still comes out blurry lots.

achieve1dream said...

That's really interesting. I had no idea!