Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Quiet Ride in the Mud

I rode one of my fat, hairy horses thanks to one lovely sunny day when the nosy neighbors weren't around. As you know, I'm a bit intimidated regarding horseback riding on ice or in mud due to the slippery nature. My most coordinated, least spastic horse is Bombay, but I wanted to try riding Lostine at a walk since her limp has gone away. I was curious to see if me putting "a few" extra pounds on her back would make her foot sore. However, I think the cushioning of the mud ultimately worked in her favor.

I forgot that even though she walks nicely on trail rides, she's a dynamo in the flats. For years she was my favorite horse to ride at the lope because of her comfortable strides, so she's a bit conditioned to go fast when we are in arenas or the paddock. I had to correct her a few times to keep her at a walk. She was sinking down in mud about four inches in some spots, so I worked on steering her around the deeper sections. She quickly picked up on the fact that this lesson was different and was more about watching where she stepped.

She is now so fat that the cinch stopped in a spot where there were no holes to put the buckle through. I had to play around with wrapping it different ways until I could secure it. She's also out of shape and was huffing and puffing while carrying my heavy butt through all that sludge.

I do hope her toe pain doesn't return, because I want to keep her alive as long as possible, and part of keeping her in shape involves exercise and doing activities that keep her mind busy. I don't know how she can see anything past those "bangs"...

9 comments:

Jeni said...

So glad you got a nice ride in!! Look at that forelock wow!

Crystal said...

I love the forelock, thats too cool!
Glad you got out riding, even if its only a walk through the mud.

Laura said...

I have forelock envy!!! :-)

Glad you managed a short ride today!

Sydney_bitless said...

Glad you got a ride in. We have been very fortunate in the way of mud and ice go this year. It rained, then got windy so by the time it froze (see last week) everything was hard and flat. Though its been snowing (Flurrying, today was the first day it stuck a little and only a cm or 2) for 8 days strait we are supposed to be in for more Sunday. I hope there's enough for my sleigh before I go away for school in Jan.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

WOW, I love her forelock! I'm glad you got a good quiet ride in today.

Breathe said...

I need to teach you the Texas tie - I never use the holes when I cinch.

Glad you got out there!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good for you getting back in the saddle. Bet it felt great.
hehe! Yes, Lostine isn't her normal svelte self...but I'm sure she'd claim her width isn't due to extra weight, but instead, extra fur. lol!
She's lovely either way, especially her "bangs".

Lucky girl :)

~Lisa

Vaquerogirl said...

Good for you for keeping her sane and focused! A good ride! To me that means not getting thrown off, and my horse and sometimes me, learned something,plus we had fun!

achieve1dream said...

Lostine is so darn cute!! I'm glad the ride didn't make her sore. :) I hope you get a bunch more pretty days to ride on. :)