Saturday, January 1, 2011

Almost Out With a Bang

2010 almost went out with a bang for me.  The horses keep rolling in the mud with their blankets on, which causes their blankets to hang lopsided.  Each night when I put them in their stalls, I straighten their blankets for optimum warmth.

For safety's sake, I always approach the horses from the front or side and say the word "blanket" with my hands extended toward the blanket.  They understand that means I'm going to start tugging on their clothing.  However, on New Year's Eve Bombay got his head through his stall window before I got inside to adjust the blanket.  All I could see was his body, and he couldn't see me at all.

I thought he had seen me walk into the stall.  For some reason, I forgot to say the word "blanket" and I just reached out to straighten it.  As soon as my hand brushed up against him, Bombay startled and tried to jump through his window, banging his knees into the wall.  When he realized he couldn't escape, he swung his hind end at me and bunched up to let loose a flying, double-hoofed kick.

I yelled his name as I jumped out of the way and fortunately, he stopped himself from actually kicking out.  I was really shook up -- I mean I was literally shaking from head to toe.  It's like just barely avoiding getting hit by a truck.  So, I made it into the new year without a trip to the hospital, thank God.  I think for now on I'll just let those dang blankets hang how they want and stop being such a neat freak.

In other news, I would like to make door knocking and doorbell sounds on TV, and siren sounds on the radio illegal.  I'm not sure how to go about creating a new law, but these noises have caused me more grief.  Last night I woke up at 2:00 in the morning feeling like I was starving.  If I wake up hungry, I have no chance of getting back to sleep until I fill my tummy.

So, off I went to the kitchen to fix a snack, and the dogs followed, of course.  I settled into my recliner, picked up the remote, and turned on the TV to a low volume since everyone else in the house was sleeping.  Unfortunately, the TV was on a station that had a sitcom, and you know that sitcoms revolve around relatives, neighbors and friends flooding in and out of houses while everyone competes for the funniest one-liner.  If it's a show in which people just walk into the house, I'm fine with that, but if it's a show where each person has to knock or ring the doorbell, that's where I start having problems.

Before I could change the channel, the dogs heard "DING DONG!" and they both raced for our front door barking at the top of their lungs at freakin' 2:00 in the morning!  I was chasing them yelling, "Quiet!" -- yelling because otherwise they can't hear me over their barking, and they will get themselves worked up into such a frenzy that my eardrums feel like they are about to burst.  This happens every time the dogs hear a knock on a door, a doorbell, or even a truck driving by on the television set.

Of course, this woke my son up who had just gone to bed at 1:00 AM after coming home from a New Year's party.  He didn't get any sleep all night.  

Then there's the sirens that radio stations love to use as sound effects or in commercials.  Here I am driving down the highway minding my own business listening to the radio and out of the blue I hear this emergency siren screaming at me.  I get such an adrenaline burst that I feel like I'm having a heart attack.  I look all around for the emergency vehicle, but can't see it.  Sometimes I even pull over before I realize that it was just a sound effect on the radio.  For that reason, I refuse to listen to the radio anymore.  I just bring CDs along.

I wish I could say the same for TV -- just get rid of it all together and watch what I need on the computer over the Internet, but my family is addicted to it.  I guess I should just learn to eat my midnight snacks in silence without the need for something to look at and listen to while I'm eating.  Better yet, I should just start taking a double dose of sleeping pills to get me through the night.

13 comments:

Mikey said...

Lol, mine do that too, and we don't even HAVE a doorbell! Drives me bonkers!
Be careful with those blankets. I know what you mean. I always approach with caution. You never know when they'll get spooked and run you down.

horseypants said...

Have you ever tried Chinese herbs for sleeping problems? I had some last year and they fixed me up beautifully. Also mood swings went bye-bye. It was great. Not selling anything here, just was so happy for the help myself that I feel like sharing.

fernvalley01 said...

the door knocking on TV doesn't get me too bad but the sirens on the radio!!!!! yeesh! glad you didn't get hurt and HAppy New Year

Jeni said...

Happy New Years Nuzz Muzz ! Glad Bombay realized it was you and you avoided injury!

Breathe said...

I always have to start talking to Lily before I come up to her. Glad you dodged that one!

I had the radio throw me off recently too. There is actually a law that you can put traffic related signs on billboards. It's time to make that a requirement on the radio.

Maybe you could get headphones for the television - the wireless kind work great at our house.

Happy new year!

baystatebrumby said...

I'm glad you didn't have to end the year with two broken legs because of a horse kick. From afar, I find the two rear leg kicks facsinating. Isn't is crazy how they throw their bodies around like that? But definitely not so cool if it is directed at you! Good thing it had an uneventful ending.
Darn those blankets.

Reddunappy said...

Wow, I am glad you didnt get hurt!!! I hate close calls!!

Do your blankets have rear leg straps? If they do, I learned to cross them between the hind legs so that the blankets dont slip so much. Maybe you do, but it really helped me, thought I would pass it on.
Stay safe!!!!
Happy New year Nuzz Muzz!!!

sue said...

Happy New year ... so very glad that y ou weren't hurt in the barn!!! quick thinking on your part... I have an idea for "barking" though (putting on my dog trainer's cap).. try a "shaky can"... which is a soda can that has pennies (or the like in it).. when the dogs bark, make that "shhh" sound (like we do with little kids).. which is very soft and quiet.. then - because the dogs aren't listening... you pick up the soda can and rattle the daylights out of it. In time the dogs will learn to "hear" that small quiet sounds even though they are being loud, because they understand a louder noise will follow if they don't hush. we have 8 dogs who respond all the same with knocks or doorbells, being on the farm I do appreciate "some" barking.. but once I make the "quiet" command, I mean business and it's time to hush... the shaky can works great around here (if I need it , which is rare now!!!) good luck....

Dreaming said...

I had a near miss with Pippin's hooves, too...so I know what you mean about the shakes! He also didn't actually kick, but he was darn close and I was too darn close!

Doorbells on TV..yup. Always interesting! Luckily we have one of those door chimes that plays a little tune, so that's all that Tucker knows. He's never heard the simple ding-dong they use on TV, so we are OK, until we move to our new house!

Have a great new year!

Ms Martyr said...

So I'm not the only one who freaks when sirens sound on the radio. It shouldn't be allowed.
I second the suggestion for wireless headphones. Mine work great.
Glad you didn't get nailed by Bombay.

Rising Rainbow said...

I've had issues with the sirens on the radio as well. I'm looking around for flashing lights and someplace to go and it's that stupid radio. Seesh!

Glad that Bombay pulled his punches. That could have been bad. I have to remind myself to tell the horses I'm going to adjust a blanket too. They can go balistic about it sometimes if I don't.

Hope you're having a Happy New Year!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Siren sounds should be outlawed on the radio for sure. There are quite a few songs that use sirens and car horns as sound effects. Drives me batty! And can be very unsafe, too!

I'm glad you didn't get kicked. I know how horrible that can be.....

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Wow I'm glad Bombay didn't kick! That must have been terrifying. I'm glad he wasn't hurt either trying to go through the window. Yikes.

I'm so glad my dogs ignore the T.V. lol. I think it's because when they were puppies I had the T.V. on ALL the time. I rarely watch it but I like to have it on for background noise. I think Jackal has reacted to it maybe two or three times in almost three years. :) I hope your son wasn't too upset at being woken up.