Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Customized 2011 Calendar

Every once in a while something goes smoothly, and it's an amazing feeling.  Of course, it always seems to happen when you put in a minimal amount of effort, and by some miracle, everything just falls into place.  Last summer I was offered a free photo album from Shutterfly.  It wasn't until December that I actually registered for my free album.  In the process of registering, I was given 250 free 4x6 prints.  I didn't have the time to upload my photos after registering, so when I logged back into Shutterfly.com in January, I found that my free prints were no longer available.  They expired.

I was a bit irritated, but no major loss.  Then I received an offer for a free 2011 calendar.  Nobody got me a wall calendar for Christmas this year, so I decided to give it a try.  I only had to upload 13 pictures for the 12 months and the cover.  Easy peasy.  I picked out the proverb style for my calendar and uploaded pictures of people and pets in my family for the months they were born.  I didn't know what the proverbs were for each month until I was all done.  Amazingly, many of the proverbs ended up being incredibly appropriate for the corresponding picture.  Here's the cover with my favorite picture I took of Lake Tahoe...

I don't know when Scrappy was born, so I put his picture in January.  I thought it was funny that he's a tiny dog chewing on a huge bone, and the proverb reads, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  -Chinese Proverb

My husband's birthday is in February, and I liked this picture of him hiking beside our son.  Again, the quote was perfect:  "A loving heart is the truest wisdom."  -Charles Dickens

Gabbrielle's birthday is in March.  Her quote reads, "Be yourself.  Everyone else is taken."  -Oscar Wilde.  That's perfect for her, because she's so silly and sensitive. 

Bombay's birthday is in April.  I chose this photo for the motion, not because I love my butt.  His proverb reads, "A kind word is like a spring day."  -Russian Proverb

May just may be my favorite.  May is Lostine's birthday.  I worry about her, because she is a senior horse.  I never know how much longer we have to be together.  Her proverb reads, "May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live."  -Irish Proverb

Midge's proverb reads, "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

July is my son's birthday.  Again, the quote was eerily appropriate for the picture and the person:  "Energy and persistence conquer all things."  -Benjamin Franklin

August is my daughter's birthday.  The proverb fit the person and the picture perfectly:  "There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart."  -Celia Thaxte.  My daughter is grateful for everything and her personality is filled with sunshine.

September is my birthday.  When I think about how far I've come in my path to good horsemanship, the proverb is right on the mark:  "Everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was."

October is just plain colorful.  "It is not what you are called, but what you answer to."  -African Proverb

November sports my favorite photo of Gabbrielle asking my son for a kiss.  "Carpe diem.  Seize the day."  -John Keats.  How perfect is that?

December sports my photo of (rein)deer fighting.  "The journey is the reward."  -Chinese Proverb.  I loved the placement of that quote, knowing I watched these deer cross a busy street just barely avoiding being hit by cars in order to get to the other side, and get into this fight.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the calendar, and the fact that Shutterfly's website warned me when I attempted to upload a photo that wasn't the right resolution for this purpose.  I think I'll buy more stuff from them in the future.

10 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

That is great! they did a lovely job of my Christmas cards this year. Thier calenders are slightly more expensive than the ones I made at Stapes but they sure look good

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Very nice! The photos you chose are all so special. And the quotes matched so well, too. Very cool!

~Lisa

Rising Rainbow said...

Great choices. I love the pic of Gabrielle reaching towards your son. Arabs are such hams.

Anonymous said...

My daughter uses shutterfly for all her pics, she has the kids pics made into thank you notes, greeting cards and it also allows me to go to the site and order prints of the grandkids.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is a great calendar! Awesome photos and captions too.

Linda said...

It looks really nice. I especially like March! Funny.

Paint Girl said...

The calendar is perfect! Love the quotes! I did a calendar through Snapfish before, it was so easy.
I also got a free shutterfly album, haven't done it yet, but was thinking of doing an album of Chance, kinda like a baby book! I need to remember to do that!

achieve1dream said...

What a beautiful, beautiful calendar!! You're right the quotes just turned out perfectly and you picked some incredible pictures! :) Good job. Now I'm going to have to go make one. That's so much better than a store bought calendar.

Ms Martyr said...

This is very cool and it's neat that each picture has special meaning and an appropriate saying.

Brenda said...

great calendar and pics! I made one for our parents, but from Walgreens, and it isn't nearly this nice! great job!