Sunday, January 16, 2011

Soupy With a Chance of Grooming

It was a fairly routine Sunday morning. Scrappy refused to get out of bed, so I made the bed on top of him...

Then I wandered outside into the warmth of a mid-January fluke of nature kind of day to find Lostine in heat, as usual.  I don't think this girl is ever going to outgrow her hormones...

Then I looked around to see all the manure that had piled up during this ice age and had been frozen to the ground and buried under snow.  I took a picture of this offensive scene while Gabbrielle konked me on top of the head to tell me she's hungry...

I shooed her away and she sloshed a path through some soupy mud and ice...

Bombay showed off his knee-high mud socks...

He thought all that mud and manure was disgusting and even stuck out his tongue to illustrate his feelings...

Come on, clean all this cr*p up, will ya?

I can't stand being dirty anymore!  Clean it up and clean me up!

Gabbrielle posed by the ice chunks that I removed from their water troughs several days ago.  They still haven't melted...

I might have to change the color in Gabbrielle's pedigree.  Right now I have her down as a gray, but I think she's more like a bay and gray pinto coloring with a little dappling on the side.  I actually have been grooming the horses, but this gunk is ground in to their fur...

They need baths, but there's no point, because they'll just roll in the mud right after I wash them.  Another flock of geese flew overhead, but this time they were flying south...

I did actually spend about three hours shoveling manure. I cleaned the stalls and the round pen, but the fence line will have to wait. I know better than to overdo it. If I try to shovel too much, I'll throw out my back and not be able to shovel for several weeks, but if I do a little bit each day, I can get it done in less time.

The road that runs through my property is dirt, and because so many drivers think that our dead-end dirt road is such a good place to turn around when they are lost or forgot something, the end of the street is thrashed. There are huge potholes filled with water. So, I took several loads of manure and D.G. mixed together out to the biggest hole and filled it. My husband warned me that it may be against the law, because people are funny about feces.

Well, if they'll put it in their gardens, they shouldn't worry about me putting it in the road. I decided I would make myself as visible as possible so that if any neighbors had complaints about what I was doing, they would hopefully stop me before I got too far along. Nobody said anything, although I noticed that everyone was driving around the manure to avoid getting it on their tires. I also got a lot of stares and funny looks from random strangers driving past on the main road.

Technically, the road is within my property line, so I should be able to do what I want with it, but since my neighbors have to drive it, I was willing to take suggestions. I was even more willing to take money, though, so we could ship in some real dirt filler instead of using horse waste. Every year my family does all the work to fill in potholes caused by both the U-turners and by certain neighbors who drive an excessive amount, and every year no one offers to help. So, I've kind of got a bit of a Little Red Hen syndrome going at the moment.

7 comments:

achieve1dream said...

Sigh. Darn gray horses. That's what I have to look forward to someday . . . sigh.

How old are Gabrielle and Bombay? How long did it take them to go dappled and flea bitten (if you've had them long enough to know)? I love wondering about how long it will take Chrome to gray out. I should take bets lol.

Sorry the road is so crappy. I wouldn't go out of my way to help ungrateful, rude, irritating neighbors and I definitely wouldn't spend my hard earned money on them. It's a two way street, if they aren't willing to chip in, you shouldn't have to do it yourself. You should spread manure all across the road on the edge of your property, then maybe people will leave you alone lol!!

Crystal said...

I love the second icture, took me a minute to figure out it was Gabbrielles fur on top!

Paint Girl said...

Mud socks! I am used to those! My horses have so much ground in mud I literally couldn't get it all off even by currying them!
Very cute picture of Scrappy being made into the bed!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - Bombay is 13 and Gabbrielle is 6 this spring. Bombay was born a bay and I think he turned mostly gray by the age of 6. Gabbrielle was born a grayish, brownish black and she started turning gray right away. I got her as a yearling, so she was turning gray by the age of 2, and has been getting lighter with each shedding.

fernvalley01 said...

We are going to be deluged with mud in a few months , but for now it is all white and crisp around here, a couple fooet of snow over the last few weeks

achieve1dream said...

Wow Gabrielle turned gray fast!! Chrome is going on two and just has sprinklings of white, kind of like a silver sheen, so I bet he'll be slow like Bombay was. I think he's going to go fleabitten too. His mom was. Thanks for sharing!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

The pictures were a lot of fun and your quotes were cute :)

~Lisa