Sunday, January 2, 2011

Upside Down Icicles

Icicles seem to be growing upside down on my barn awning.  They look a little bit like a witch's fingernails -- sharp and jutting out in all directions.

How is it possible for them to grow this way?

Well, they didn't.  They formed by dripping downward, but after they froze, the snow began sliding off the roof, which bent the icicles sideways and up.  The horses and I are wary of standing under the edge of the awning.  We've had an avalanche of snow dumped on us more than once, and those icicles look like they might hurt.

5 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Weird for sure any maybe even dangerous. Icecicles can do real harm if they catch you right. I wouldn't want to be walking under those things.

Mikey said...

When I lived in MT, I always loved making an icicle garden. Just pull em and plant em in the nearest drift. Pretty!!

Vaquerogirl said...

Well they are pretty- from the comfort of my chair here in not so cold California! Be careful! We don't want to lose you or your pony!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So unusual! Thanks for sharing them with us.

~Lisa

Crystal said...

I love icicles!! But not so much the snow coming off the barn roof, Ive had that happen and its awful (and scary)