Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter and Construction

There's a saying that goes, "There are two seasons in Nevada: Winter and Construction."

Well, now we are experiencing both winter and construction at the same time...

This house in my neighborhood is up for sale and either the seller or the buyer is having some work done. As soon as this heavy equipment showed up, I predicted the construction workers would dig and hit the cable, and we'd be without computer connectivity for a while.

Sure enough, my son complained that the Internet was down. We looked out the window, and the cable repairman was laying a new cable in the hole they dug.

There are rules about marking all underground gas lines, water pipes, electrical, septic and cable routes before digging in this county, but apparently no one follows them. This happens just about every few weeks. I do so tire of suffering the consequences of other people's actions. Of course, it could have been worse. They could have hit a gas line.

This is actually one of the reasons, besides the exorbitant expense, why I've been putting off getting a solid wall installed between us and the neighbors. The cable company laid our neighborhood cable right along that fence line and there is no way we can build a wall without breaking it. If people just used their cable for pleasure, I wouldn't be so concerned, but the majority of people around here work out of their homes over the Internet, so I'd be disrupting their business.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That view of the mountains is really beautiful.

Leah Fry said...

What happened to "Call before you dig?"

Grey Horse Matters said...

Beautiful views from your house. It's too bad about the cable. But you're right it could have been a gas line and that would have been a mess. Good luck.

achieve1dream said...

They should get fined for that! That's ridiculous! I wish you didn't have to put up with those stupid people so close to home. I have enough trouble putting up with the ones I encounter at work. At least my home is a safe haven.

Crystal said...

I had to go back and look and the mountains really are beautiful! I hate when people are stupid and wreck stuff that is unnecessary, at least they fixed it relitivly fast.

Rising Rainbow said...

Haing the neighbor's cable run right down your property line where you'd put a fence seems like a really dumb place to put it. What were they thinking?

Sarah said...

Even here no one calls and checks where lines are - they just break them. It's really annoying. And that is a beautiful view! I'm jealous!