Friday, February 4, 2011

Pictures of the Completed Photography Studio Window Covering Project

My goal with this project was functionality, not beauty. I didn't bother to try to hide the liner behind the sheer fabric. Everything is uneven, but I'm just happy that I was able to use all my fabric and still get it to cover the windows and sliding glass doors. Because of the amount of fabric I had, and the dimensions I needed to cut creating a minimum number of seams, the windows ended up with less draping than the sliding glass doors. I looked for some neutral gray or silver fabric to sew around the edges as a border to allow more top to bottom coverage as well as side-to-side draping, but I was unable to find any fabric that would work with the one I already had.

Here's an example of what it looks like with both the sheer fabric and liners together, blocking out all the light...

Here are a couple of examples showing one side of the window having both the block out liner and fabric together and the other side of the window just having the sheer fabric covering...

You can see that the extra draping over the door lets in less light.  Since the rings on the rods are clip-ons, I can just rearrange the fabric how I want to let in more or less light through the sheer fabric.

Here are a couple of examples of one side of the window having both coverings pulled aside, letting in full light while leaving the sheer fabric over the other side of the window...


As you can see, there are a lot of options for lighting, especially when you add in the strobe lights, the reflective umbrella, the soft box, and the camera flash to the variations in natural lighting.

18 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Looking more and more like a photography studio. Controling light is such a big issue with pics. I'll bet you're glad this project is done.

Anonymous said...

I think it looks wonderful!
Have you considered using double drapery rods? I think you can get them so the front rod would stick out further than the back, so you could use the sheer and the block out liner independently...just a thought, but the clips are also a great idea!

Reddunappy said...

Thats a lot of work!!! It isnt that easy to do all of that drapery work without a large workbench!! Looks good.

Last "curtains" I made were for our bedroom, to totally cover the windows when Hubby works graveyard, so he can sleep. Each panel,(two windows) took up my whole living room floor. I used a drapery heavy fabric, then lined it with the no light stuff. We then put them flat on the wall, so no light would come around them, there is a valance too ( which I bought at Target LOL) so it looks good.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Anonymous - Double rods would be ideal, but installing what I have up was such a pain that I'm not planning on touching anymore drapery rods with a ten-foot pole for as long as I live. Quite honestly, I don't think my walls would stay standing if they had to hold two rods. The foundation of the room is sinking and the whole room started cracking when I hung the rods, liners and fabric. Also, the liners are so thick that I'd just assume take them down, fold them up and put them away, because they don't push to the side easily. They remain covering about a third of the window.

Stephanie said...

Looks like you have made some great strides on your photography studio! Good for you! Nice set up with the drapery, lots of options for lighting and you didn't have to spend a mega fortune getting them done either :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good job. I think it looks pretty nice. You should get lots of good pictures int he studio with the improvements.

achieve1dream said...

Very nice!!! It looks great. You must be so relieved to be done with it. Sewing is a lot of hard work!

Linda said...

Very cool! It looks great.

Dreaming said...

They look great...and they look like a ton of work. You've been busy. I like all of the options you have for controlling light and I bet you will discover which ways you want to set the curtains during which part of the day to get whatever effect you desire.
You also spent a bunch of time taking the pictures and explaining. So, now it might be interesting to see pictures of the same object taken from the same space with different options!! Uh huh...don't you love how I've just suggested more work for you?!! (It's OK, you can ignore my suggestion...My feelings won't be hurt ;-)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Dreaming - I actually have that on my To Do List. It just took me so long to fix the one last rod bracket that wasn't cooperating, and then to take a picture of the drapes and curtains that I suspect it will be another few weeks before I get around to doing a study of one object with the different lighting options. I'm getting burnt out on working on the studio and trying to shift my focus to the horses now that we've got decent weather. I've also got the novel and am starting a freelance writing business... When are we going to start getting 48 hour days?

fernvalley01 said...

Wow looking pretty proffesional there

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

Wow-You really gave yourself a lot of lighting options. That's pretty cool.

Laura said...

Looks really great - you obviously put a lot of work and thought into creating lots of light options for your photography. Lighting is the key to a good shot, so it will be nice for you to be able to have lots of options to work with.

aurora said...

Looking good. Somehow I missed that a photo studio was in the making. Are you planning on specializing?

I had a dark room in my basement, back in the stone age. It was great, at the time.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Laura - I actually owe thanks to many of my readers who gave suggestions on how to design the window coverings when I first started the project.

Aurora - I started a pet and human portrait business last year, but am also open to shooting sports and other events.

Jeni said...

NM if the photo thing doesn't pan out can I commission you to make some draperies for me? *smart@$$ grin* !!!

I can't even cut a straight line.. let alone sew one so I am envious!!

Ms Martyr said...

Yay! for getting this project finished. Aren't clip-on rings the best? I don't sew often so am always surprised at the new innovations when I go to the fabric store. I read about spray-on basting last night. What a concept.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Those clip-ons are great, aren't they? It's going to be great having all those options, and once you start bringing in some props for your business, no one will even notice the imperfections of the window curtains.

Great job :)

~Lisa