Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Things Are Working Out

Though we have more snowstorms on the way and continue to have below freezing temperatures, I did see a sign of spring yesterday. I looked out the window to see one Magpie sitting on Bombay's back and another one sitting on Lostine's back. I find it amazing how the horses don't mind letting these big black and white birds ride them.

My arms felt well enough for me to walk some Pit Bulls at the animal shelter, but I regretted it afterward. One guy pulled so hard on the leash that he brought all the pain back in my right wrist and elbow. The other gal brought me a lot joy by playing fetch with me in the snow. I'd throw a ball with my better arm, she'd chase it, and then dig through the snow to retrieve it. I didn't want to stick my hand in between those powerful jaws, so I taught her to drop the ball before I would take it and throw it again. I love making little strides in training these dogs who have been in the shelter for months or years that no one wants to adopt. And you know what? Even though Pit Bulls have very short hair, they love being brushed.

While feeding the horses last night, I struggled to pull the flakes of hay out from underneath the tarp. I heard a truck engine and looked up to see a man sitting in his truck in the street, stopped at the end of my driving watching me. I thought, "Oh no, here we go again. Someone is going to pull into my driveway and ask for directions."

Sure enough, he pulled into my driveway. I walked over to see what he wanted and was surprised to find my hay farmer stepping out of that truck. He came by to investigate my property to assess whether he might be able to get a truckload of hay down my drive without snow tires. He decided he could, and he's bringing a block for me today. The really good news is that I should be able to afford it, because my husband did taxes, and we are actually getting a return this year.

9 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Good news, hay and a tax refund. Awesome for one day's work.

Linda said...

Wow, that is a turn for the better!!! Yay! What a great hay guy to do that for you. I have a hay guy like that and I just love him. So, are there a lot of pitbulls at the shelter? Sad.

Ms Martyr said...

I'm very glad things are getting better. Your previous post sounded so disheartened. It's almost March, spring is on the way and hopefully you'll be trail riding again in no time.

Cheryl Ann said...

YYYEEEAAAHH~~~and,yes, March is on its way!

Crystal said...

glad to hear things are looking up again!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay! That's really great news.

Now I really want to see a photo of magpies sitting on your horses' backs.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! hay and a refund!

My main hay guy is like that. He came unasked and blew snow out of the drive and yard to make room for a hay delivery (36 tons worth) while I was visiting my hubby in the hospital and hour and a half away. He took extra care to clear snow as close to the door to the house as possible so hubby had an easier time when we brought him home. Needless to say, I Heart my Hay Guy!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That's good news all around. In great times of need, I've always been able to come up with the money, so far...

achieve1dream said...

Yay! That's awesome. I'm so happy for you.