Saturday, March 26, 2011

Available on Smashwords

For those of you who were interested in downloading my suspense novel, THE NEXT DOOR, but didn't want to read it on the Kindle or Kindle for the PC, I reformatted it for Smashwords.  Katharine Swan at Pony Tales Blog told me about this site.  Smashwords converts the book into a variety of formats, so that readers can view it through more methods and devices.
  • HTML for online reading in your browser, just like this blog
  • JavaScript, also for online reading
  • Mobi for the Kindle or Kindle for the PC
  • ePub for a wide variety of devices, such as the Barnes & Noble Nook, iPad and iPhone
  • PDF for Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • LRF for Sony eReader
  • Palm Doc PBD for Palm devices
I chose not to format my poetry book HOMESPUN & WOVEN for this site, because I would have had to remove all the indents, and I feel that indents are an integral part of formatting poetry to get breaks and pauses in just the right locations.  It's tough getting poetry that relies on visual form to behave itself on any ebook device since the line breaks change as the reader adjusts the font size.

Apparently, Smashwords is a very popular site for authors, because at the time I uploaded my book, there were about 1,600 books ahead of mine waiting to be processed.  So, if you have been looking for books on a certain subject and not having any luck, you might want to search Smashwords.  They have a huge collection.  I am waiting to see if my book will be approved to be in their Premium Catalog that gets sent out to other sites.  Right now you can download my book to your PC or laptop in any of those formats, and then you would have to transfer it onto any reading device you have if you don't plan to read it on your computer.  However, once it gets into the Premium Catalog, you should be able to download directly to other reading devices such as the Nook, Sony eReader and the iPad.

I know a few of you have been talking about publishing beyond your blogs.  I recommend that you look into publishing on Smashwords.

8 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

Whoo hoo! I'm so glad you liked the site and their publishing process. I'm excited to be able to get your book in epub format! And guess what -- I'm getting a Nook for my birthday! YAY! :o)

fernvalley01 said...

Thanks gilr! you do all the leg work , so we reap the benefits! Cool!

Breathe said...

I have smash words on my list (I am working on a crib notes collection), but there is a kindle app for the iPad.

I'll be posting a review and link on my site to your work, let me know which link you'll prefer...

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Breathe - Thank you. The difference between downloading from the Kindle or Smashwords is that the Kindle formatting looks more professional to the reader and I get 70% of the royalties, while with Smashwords I get 85% of the royalties. So, I make a few more cents through Smashwords, but the formatting isn't as traditional.

achieve1dream said...

That is very cool! I'll have to check it out. :D

Rising Rainbow said...

Thanks for the information. I'm seriously considering getting my act together and writing/finishing my book.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'll have to try this out so I can read your book. I think PDF would work best for me.

Thanks NM!
~Lisa

Once Upon an Equine said...

Thanks NuzMuz! I had not heard of Smashwords before. So I bought a Nook Color last night and your book is the first eBook I've downloaded. I'm on Chapter 1 and I will be taking it with me to the dentist office this afternoon. :-)