Friday, March 11, 2011

Gabbrielle Update

Just a quick update on Gabbrielle's condition: The swelling on her one hind leg went down after she suffered some kind of accident on the day that the horses next door were cut loose and caused a stampede. However, this morning I brought her out of her stall and found that she skinned her hock and had other cuts in the same general area, so she had some other kind of accident during the night in the high winds.

She also has been sleeping in mud puddles, so I gave her a sponge bath this morning with warm water carried in a bucket from the house. I cleaned and treated her wounds. She and the other horses will be seeing a vet tomorrow for their annual vaccinations and teeth floats.

I've been working on getting Bombay and Gabbrielle comfortable in the trailer throughout the week whenever it wasn't too windy or raining or snowing, but it's all been a bit in vain, because all goes well until something ridiculous happens in the neighborhood, and then they just become nervous wrecks all over again. I never got them to the point where I could actually drive off with them locked up in the trailer, because they freaked out as soon as I locked them up.

So, now I'm taking the tack of giving them calming feed in hopes that by the time their appointment arrives they will be herbally relaxed enough to not injure themselves in the trailer. In the past, I would have just ignored their pawing and kicking and drove off, but now that I know they can kick their own legs bloody with leg protection on, I'm more cautious. I guess the bright side is that if they do injure themselves in the trailer, we'll be headed to the vet clinic anyway, and they can get treated there. Wish us luck and low vet bill.

8 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good luck and a low vet bill....
and no injuries and no stress for you or your horses.

xoxo
~Lisa

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm sure everything will go smoothly. Good luck and fingers crossed for low vet bills. Hope Gabrielle heals quickly.

Linda said...

Sounds a little too exciting....can you give yourself some of that calming feed, too?!? lol. Sure hope it goes well for you.

Dreaming said...

It sounds like she may have kicked at the stall in reaction to the wind. Pippin had a small scrape on his hock - but I think his is from sleeping in his sandy paddock.
Good luck with the vet visit.

fernvalley01 said...

Aww man!!! That sucks! hopefully tomorrow is a good ride for them .Are you using VAlerian to calm them? it can be quite helpful

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I sure hope all goes well on the vet trip.

appydoesdressage said...

I was going to recommend a tube of Calm and Easy but you are feeding something already. I have great luck with it on a donkey who isn't great with her feet and the farrier. It is pretty cheap too, only $9 at my tack store. Good luck!

achieve1dream said...

Duh. I can't believe I didn't think of a calming supplement. Good luck and low vet bills!