Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Must Have a Warm Behind

Every time I get up off the couch or out of my recliner to go somewhere, I always find that a dog had stolen my seat once I return.  Scrappy's easy, because all I have to do is pretend like I'm going to sit on him, and he scrambles to get up and move out of the way. 

Midge, on the other hand, seems to just consider my butt to be her blanket, and extra layer of warmth.  I can actually sit on her, and she won't budge.  Of course, I don't put all my weight on her, because I'd crush a Corgi, but I put enough pressure that you'd think she'd get the hint.

Anyway, I think I set a personal record for how long my butt has been stuck to the couch today. Scrappy woke me up around 3:00 AM. I sat on the couch with my laptop and spent that time proofreading my novel. I then started researching the process of formatting my novel for electronic publishing on the Kindle and the Nook. I did get up a few times to feed the horses, let the dogs in and out, etc, but for the most part, my butt was stuck to that couch.

At 3:30 PM, my husband called to tell me he was on his way home from work.  I was confused and disoriented because it felt as if I had just woken up and sat down on the couch, and then suddenly my husband was calling and informing me that he put in another day at the office.  But he was still in bed sleeping when I sat down on the couch.  How could that be?  It suddenly hit me that I had been working on my novel for over 12 hours. I wasn't even sure if I ate breakfast or lunch. I wasn't hungry, so I must have. Now it is 6:30 PM and I've finally put my novel to bed. I have a few formatting wrinkles to iron out tomorrow. Who knew writing the book was actually the easiest part?  When I do get it published, I'll let everyone know the details.

9 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

That is dedication! can't wait to read more about your novel!

Linda said...

Good luck on that. My husband just finished with it. He wrote a long book on Drug and Alcohol History in America that he's still trying to find an agent to represent, but in the meantime, he had an older set of pamphlets and papers on dealing with adolescent drug use and he compiled that into a small book and sent it formatted to Kindle. The great thing about that is you can also buy a hard copy. They sent a proof last week and we're finishing up the final edits. It was a surprisingly easy process. We may be doing it again if he doesn't find someone to represent the larger work. We haven't researched the Nook yet, but that seems to be a broader format, so it's next on our list.

Crystal said...

Wow thats pretty cool! but I think my butt woulda fallen asleep after that many hours on the couch!

achieve1dream said...

I can do that when I start writing or researching my novels. :) I can't wait to read it.

I pretend to sit on Jackal too and he scurries out of the way. Usually I just say move and he will. :D Silly dogs.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh yes! I've had days like that, too. I admire your peserverance and wish you tons of success! How exciting to be moving forward with your dreams.

Thanks for those darling photos of Midge and Scrappy. Totally made me smile :)

~Lisa

Mikey said...

I am thinking hard on the "writing a book" thing myself, and I'm very interested in reading how you're publishing. Things are surely different now, and I'm learning a lot just from reading your experience. Let me know when you get it out on Kindle, I will buy a copy!

Janie said...

Very cool on the book! Keep it up!

www.timsboots.com

Rising Rainbow said...

Funny how you can get so engrossed in a project that the time just flies. Good for you for getting through your book and getting it uploaded. I'm still at the thinking stage. LOL

Let us know how it goes.

achieve1dream said...

No problem. I was just checking that everything is okay. :) Glad it is. I've done the deleting thing before too.

Yeah, actually Chrome has killed a couple of the chickens . . . I don't know if it was an accident or not, but I don't blame him. It's bound to happen, but it doesn't happen often so I try not to worry about it too much. The chickens are usually pretty fast. It is kind of funny watching him pin his ears at them when he's eating though hehe. Big bad horsey lol! :D