Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Little of This, A Lot of THAT!

Since today was the last dry day we'll have for a while, I had grand plans to load Bombay and Gabbrielle into the trailer and take them for a ride to the Fairgrounds as a trial run for the equine vaccination clinic next weekend.  I walked outside several times in the morning and saw that the neighbors had company.  I didn't want any interruptions or distractions or accidents, so I opted to go geocaching in the morning and see if the afternoon looked more promising for working with the horses.

My husband actually came with me this time.  I found the first cache, neither of us found the second, he found the third, I found the fourth, and he found the fifth.  The fifth one was my nemesis.  I had searched for it on at least three other occasions and could not find it.  However my husband found it this time around.  It turned out to be a flat magnet that was the same color as the sign it was attached to, and when you turn the magnet over, the GPS coordinates to the next geocache were typed on the back.  That's the first time I've come across that type of a cache series.  We were too tired and hungry and had too many other things to do to make the hike to the next geocache, so I just recorded the coordinates for another time.

When I returned home, my neighbor's visitors had gone, so I unlocked and opened up all the doors to the trailer.  I caught Gabbrielle and wrapped her legs,  I led her to the back of the trailer, and she jumped right in.  Then she jumped right out before I could even find my clicker and give her a treat.  I think she jumped in and out of the trailer only three times before I heard a ruckus next door.

Gabbrielle was in the trailer with me.  I was holding a treat out for her, and her head shot up and ears went back.  I saw sheer panic in her eyes.  She ran backwards to bolt out of the trailer and took off running with her tail up over her back, snorting all the way.  I had to catch her before she saw the gap between the gate and my horse trailer, and escaped out onto the highway.

It turned out that the neighbors' horse boarders showed up and cut their horses loose into their front yard.  Those horses were galloping around and around the house, and my horses galloped alongside the fence out of excitement.  Then the other people's horses stopped and started sniffing the noses of my horses.  I instantly felt sick to my stomach.  From what I have heard, these people do not take good care of their horses.  They only feed them once a day, they don't trim their hooves or shoe them, and they don't vaccinate them.  The last thing I needed was for my horses to catch some disease.

I tried herding my horses away from the other horses into a back pen where they couldn't touch noses, but they wanted to stick with the herd on the other side of the fence.  So, I had to catch each horse, halter it, and lead it to a location where it couldn't come into contact with the other horses.  Gabbrielle still had her leg wraps on and I needed to remove them.  I knew I had no chance of finishing my plans to trailer the horses out at this point.  One of the mares next door was flirting with Bombay, and he can act a bit like a rig sometimes, so trying to get leg wraps on him and get him into the trailer while a mare is trying to mate with him would have been impossible.

I tied Gabbrielle to a post and started removing her leg wraps, but each time the horses next door stampeded, Gabbrielle would dance around, rear up and pull back to try to get loose.  That made it impossible for me to take off those leggings.  I screamed as loudly as I could, "GET CONTROL OF YOUR HORSES!!!"

I waited for the two women to come out and halter them, but no one responded.  I thought maybe they were in the house.  So, I had to go inside my house to get my husband to help me get control of Gabbrielle, so I could finish removing her leg wraps.  Just when I was putting her away, the neighbors who own the house drove up.  All of the sudden the boarders appeared out of their hiding spot, and they stood there on the other side of the fence with the neighbors pointing and staring at me and whispering.

I wanted them to come close enough to talk to me, because I wanted to let them know that they just robbed me of the only day I had to trailer train my horses.  I wanted to tell them that next time they see me trying to train a horse in my yard, talk to me before cutting their horses loose to just run willy-nilly all over the front yard.  But the reality is that if the man who lives there can come outside and fire up his band saw every time I'm working with a horse, and they allow trucks to idle behind my barn, ignoring the fact that my horses are screaming and trying to kick their way out of their stalls, and they slam doors and honk horns every time I'm out riding, chances are they are either the most ignorant, inconsiderate people on earth, or they just don't care.  Worst case scenario:  They are purposely trying to hurt me and my horses.

Well, guess what?  I discovered that Gabbrielle has a leg injury now.  One hind leg is swollen to twice the size of the other hind leg.  I didn't have my video camera out to prove that this injury happened during a stampede caused by the action of people next door, but I'm sure that has to be the case.  All I needed was half an hour without any activity next door and I could have been happily trailering those horses down the road away from the ruckus, but these people have the worst timing in the world.

Timing is an art.  Here's a perfect example.  Yesterday I was walking out to my car to run an errand and I saw my neighbor walking down the road in front of my house.  I got in my car and took my time adjusting the seat and mirrors to give her plenty of time to pass.  She was about 15-feet away from the end of my driveway when I last looked up, so my two minutes of dorking around should have given her plenty of time to move past my driveway.  I started up the engine, put the car in drive, started pulling around, looked up, and there was my neighbor standing at the end of my driveway blocking it!

I had to slam on my brakes.  What was she doing during those 2 minutes I gave her to walk 15-feet?  All I can figure out is that she must had stopped to stare at me, because staring is what she and her husband do best.  When I almost hit her, she started walking down the street again.  I turned out of my driveway and my tires slipped in some mud, so I had to accelerate to get some traction.  She heard my engine revving, and she took off running for the mailboxes.  I guess she thought I was trying to hit her or maybe she was afraid I would try to beat her to the mailboxes.  Who knows?  She's an odd woman.  I do tire of not being about to get out of my driveway because she or her husband are always either standing there or idling their vehicle there, blocking me.  This is probably the tenth time this has happened since they moved in. 

I'll never forget the time that I was racing to get my son to a baseball game, and the neighbor who lived in that house before them actually cut me off in my own driveway and blocked me from being able to get out with her car.  She then ran to my driver's side window to ask me to do some favor for her.  I told her not now, we are late and have to go.  She ignored me and kept talking.  She literally held me hostage in my own driveway.  The result was that because I got my son to the baseball game late, he was punished by having to sit on the bench for the entire game.  Neighbors are a pain in the a$$.  Time is money, and they always have a way of taking both away from me.  I paid good money for my son to be able to play baseball, and a neighbor ruined that.  Every time one of my horses gets injured because of something my neighbors do to cause a stampede, I may as well set $500 on fire and become a full-time vet.

2 comments:

achieve1dream said...

Good grief! I despise your neighbors. :(

Let us know if Gabrielle is okay.

Caitlin said...

Every neighbor story I read leaves me wanting to do mean things to them for you. My old barn used to have neighbors much like that and it was all I could do sometimes to not do something horrible back. They would shoot at the horses, set big bonfires up just on the other side of the pasture fence, and be high as a kite when helping themselves to riding of the barn horses... not my favorite people at all. Then suddenly one day they left. Maybe yours will do the same?

In response to your recommendations on saddles on my post... you have a Circle Y, right? How is that on your arabs? Mine is pretty typical arab build but I can't find someone with one to try it out on her and I'm very curious.