Friday, March 4, 2011

Superwoman Lands

I feel like Superwoman because I've accomplished so much in the past few days.  I figured out how to upload my novel to Amazon's Kindle publishing site.  The book is being processed now.  Then I remembered that I wrote a poetry book back in 1996 and I have all the rights to it, so I published a second edition of that through the Kindle.  The fun part is using my own photography and Photoshop to create covers for the books.  I'll do a post about my experiences once the books are available to download.  Then I'll move on to learning about publishing the books through PubIt for the Nook. 

The sun came out for the first time in a long time today, so I hooked up the horse trailer and continued where I left off with Bombay's trailer training.  Previously, he got three hooves in the trailer, but that was it.  Today he got all the way in the trailer and learned that it can actually be a pretty cool place.  He was a nervous wreck at first, shaking all over and breathing hard, but then I kept his mind busy playing the target game.  He had his head stuck through the window, so I held up the target (tennis ball on a stick) high, low, left, right, etc. and each time he poked it with his nose, I clicked my clicker and gave him a treat.  Soon he was relaxed and enjoying himself.

My trailer training session did get interrupted by a talkative neighbor, but I figured the longer Bombay was made to stand at the back of the trailer and wait for the adults to finish talking, the more comfortable he'd get being near it.  I didn't attempt to close him in or drive him anywhere.  That's for next time.  This is a horse that had been riding in trailers for over 11 years, so he knows how to get in and out.  I'm dealing with psychological damage after a couple of bad experiences he had.  So, I'm not trying to train him to get in and out of the trailer.  I'm training his mind to relax in the trailer.

After that I ran some errands to pick up items we needed, filled up the tank with gas before it gets over $4.00 a gallon, and walked three dogs at the animal shelter.  Usually, I'm lucky if I can get one task done before the day is over, so it's amazing that I met all of my goals.  Now I can go into the weekend feeling free.

4 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Woohoo! Good for you! that's a good feeling when you get everything done.

Sounds like a great approach for Bombay in the horse trailer. Teaching him to relax in there is huge.

Tammy said...

I am so worried about gas prices. Seems like 2008 all over again...

Linda said...

Congratulations, Superwoman. Sounds like you did an unnatural amount in one day. I think that's wonderful that you're teaching him to relax in there. That's what I'm doing with BG, even though she hasn't had any bad experiences. I feed her in there and try to make her think like it's a stall.

Enjoy your weekend!

achieve1dream said...

That is so awesome!! You go superwoman! It sounds like the clicker training is really helping Bombay to relax. That is so great. :D He'll be cruising around in there in no time. :) I worked with Chrome on the trailer today too in preparation for the imminent gelding. I didn't close it either. Last time he was close in he got scared, so I want to get him comfortable on it first. He hasn't had much experience in a trailer. He's been hauled about four times I think. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to hear more.

And congrats on your book. I wish I had a Kindle or Nook. My mom has a Nook and loves it. She said she wants to get one for me, but she can't afford it right now. I can't either. :( I'll read it someday though. :)