Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Stills: Camera Equipment

My first digital camera, a gift from my husband, was a Kodak EasyShare DX7630 with a Schneider-KREUZNACH 19mm to 117mm 3x optical lens.  I carry this portable camera in my saddle bag when I ride, so that I can easily take pictures from the saddle.  I'm always happy with the quality of the pictures and rarely need to do any post-processing.

My second digital camera, another gift from my husband, was a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS with 10.0 mega pixels and a 5.0-100mm 20x zoom lens.  I'm always impressed with the speed and auto focus of this camera.  This is the one I grab when I need to take a picture in a hurry.

My third digital camera, another gift from my husband, is a Nikon D300s.  It's a very powerful camera that picks up on small details that I don't see in photographs from other cameras.  It has just about every manual adjustment under the sun, but also allows you to set things to automatic if you want.  I trust this camera.  I've performed a gray card test with it, and know that it's light meter is spot on.  It's great for portraits as well as capturing high speed sports.

I have a good variety of lenses, some that were gifts from my husband and some that were hand-me-downs from film Nikons that he and his father and grandfather used, everything from a 50mm prime lens to a telephoto to a macro lens.  I'd love to have a wide-angle lens some day.

A sturdy tripod will serve you well.  I keep this one in my studio because it is rather heavy.  I take a lighter tripod and my monopod with me on trips.

This is one of my studio lights aimed into a metallic silver umbrella.

Now that we've finally got some sunshine, I can get out and start taking new pictures.  Say cheese!

13 comments:

Breathe said...

Very cool gear! Have you ever tried a gorilla pod? We have one and it's fun for all kinds of things. You could artsy your camera (probably only the little one) to the top rail of your round pen, for example...

Glad you'll be out taking more pictures!

TeresaA said...

I am jealous! I love my nikon (d5000). it's not as advanced as the 300 but it works for me. but would love some more lenses. :)

Linda said...

You have some wonderful cameras and lenses!!

achieve1dream said...

I wish I knew more about cameras and had all your awesome gear lol. :) Great pictures of your cameras. I like the last one. That's awesome. My mirror shot didn't turn out so great.

Rising Rainbow said...

Very cool. You have lots of great stuff.

Crystal said...

I would like a camera I could change lenses on, but I am not sure I know enough about them. I could learn, but auto is so quick and easy

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Very nice cameras- especially the last one. I don't feel confident enough for something that good in my hands. You've got talent besides good equipment.

aurora said...

Nice post, gear & camera's!

Ms Martyr said...

Just wanted you to know that you're in my thoughts and I hope that you aren't too stressed with what you're having to deal with.

Maery Rose said...

I have cameras on the brain so your post caught my eye. I have a Canon Powershot S1 IS. I don't think that's as nice as your Canon. It's the best camera I have but it is just way too slow for action photos, which is what I like to take the most. I also really struggle with low light, which ends up very pixelated and blurry. I was only looking at and comparing Canon and Nikon but one website recommended the Pentax K5 for the type of photos I like to take. It's more pricey than I was planning, but with all the photos I take and the ones I want to take but can't, I think it might be worth it. Can't wait to see what you do now that the weather is getting better.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! You have quite a great selection of camera gear. I enjoyed seeing and reading about them. And I didn't know you had a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS, too! I love mine and it's the only camera I use.

I'd like to know when and how often you use your monopod. I won a Manfrotto monopod from Ed a few months ago, and find that I rarely ever use it because I feel it's cumbersome and takes me too long to set up before the photo moment is gone. I also find it difficult to fit my Canon PowerShot onto the top without it wiggling.

I'd like to utilize it more, but can't figure out how it can benefit me. Got any ideas?

~Lisa

baystatebrumby said...

Love the progression of that little thing to the more elaborate. How lovely that the hubster is so supportive!

Gina McNale said...

I need to start putting money into my equipment - I love what you have.