Tuesday, May 10, 2011

At My Desk and Beyond

It's truly amazing how much time is required to settle an estate.  I'm sitting at my desk all day fielding phone calls, composing emails, and filling in forms until I'm cross-eyed.  My husband comes home from work asking, "How was your day?" and I've still got several hours of work to do. 

When I started this process, I had planned to only use an attorney when legal documents had to be drawn up, but now I find myself talking with him every day and asking him to handle tasks for me that I can't wrap my brain around.  I know that at $250 an hour, his bill is going to be off the charts by the time we are done with this process, but right now I can say that it is worth every penny.  I am so afraid of making a mistake that will result in many more hours or days or weeks of work to correct.  I'm such an idiot that I filled in a license plate number on the line where the car seller is supposed to sign.  I mailed off the pink slip anyway, figuring that the DMV has experience with people dumber than me and has, hopefully, learned to be forgiving.

I haven't had time to do much with the horses beyond mucking out their stalls, feeding them, and filling up their water troughs.  Bombay is getting attached to the biggest goat.  I'm sure he'll be heartbroken when it is time for the goats to go to their new home.  The goat rubs against the fence, and Bombay sniffs him.  I have to admit that it is pretty cute. 

I let the horses out onto the RV lane to graze while I mucked stalls.  When I finished, I found Bombay standing on a balled up tarp that we're going to take to the dump.  I was like, "Geez, horse.  The next time you spook at something, I'm going to kick your butt.  Your spookiness is all an act."

I took the dogs for a walk at the local dog park and actually saw some people riding horses there.  I got all excited and started to head over to talk with them until I realized they were my annoying neighbors' boarders.  These are the people who do donuts in the horse paddock in their pick-up truck honking their horn repeatedly to chase the horses out of their way.  Hello!  Their horses may be deaf, but I am not.

They are also the people to wait until I'm doing something sensitive and dangerous with one of my horses, and then they cut their horses loose into the yard next to my horse paddock and let them gallop around, triggering a stampede at my place.  I've yelled at them for their horn honking and for not having control over their horses, but they keep pulling these stunts anyway.  When they saw me coming with my dogs, they turned around and went in the opposite direction.  I guess they knew that for once they were the ones in a vulnerable position.

I, of course, would never dream of doing something that would spook their horses and cause them harm.  They, on the other hand, need to go back to the assembly line.  They seem to be missing some parts... like manners and morals.

7 comments:

Jeni said...

Ok the "assembly line" comment has me giggling!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It sounds like you've really got some tough work to do settling your mom's estate. I don't look forward to those days in my future at all.

I wish you had better, more respectful neighbors. It certainly would make your life easier.

ellie k said...

it is wise to get an attorney to help with paper work. My parents has a living will and the attorney had everything in place and about all I had to do was sign papers. It was worth the cost to have the living will drawn up in just time and head ache that it saved me. We now have one made up for us and an attorney that will handle it for our kids. it is sad when we are so upset and morning that we have to deal with so much other stuff too. I think about you often.

Dreaming said...

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with settling an estate. My dad took care of things when my Mom died. (and I vaguely remember him commenting on the hassles) I have been visiting my dad's attorney with him when he has been updating his will, powers of attorney, etc. The writing is on the wall. It won't be a picnic when he dies, but at least I have a head start in having access to his legal documents now. (I'm not wishing him dead... he's 89 and is in great health. I can easily seem him living past 100)

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

Oh yea, matters of the estate are horribly time-consuming and intricate. It's going on three years and they are just wrapping up my step-dad's estate.

word verification - retch....

Brings to mind, your neighbors. LOL

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yeah, I've been known to ask for help when stuck even when it costs more money for me not to just do it myself. In those instances the money paid was totally worth it, too.
Good for you realizing that you just can't do it all.

Funny thing about Bombay and the tarp. It reminded me of the time I brought up a tarp to practice obstacles with Apache. It was the first time I had introduced a tarp to her. I thought for sure there'd be some snorting and shying, but she followed along beside me and watched me as I laid it on the ground.

And at one point, I was standing on the tarp and had my back turned to her as I placed some rocks around the edges and corners, when I could feel something nudging me on my butt. I turned my head and there was Apache, standing in the middle of the tarp poking me with her nose, as if to say, "Ummm, so what's the big deal with the tarp, Mom?"

I couldn't stop laughing!

I said to her, "I'm guessing that we don't need to practice crossing a tarp, huh Apache?" lol!
And just a few weeks later, when we competed in the ACTHA CTC, she didn't disappoint, and she crossed the tarp like she was crossing grass (if we had any). No big deal.

Horses can be so funny sometimes.

~Lisa

fernvalley01 said...

SO much to do for you! Glad you got out for a little walk , but more disapointment in meeting the nieghbors. I so wish you lived closer you could ride out here for hours , the only interuption would be someone checking top see that you are OK