Monday, May 30, 2011

Holiday for the Horses

My veterans of a very long winter finally got to enjoy some non-canned food today.




I know, Bombay's got twiggy hair with that tree popping out of the top of his head.  Just think of it as the king's crown, and consider that blob of Xterra a beauty mark.

The neighbor across the highway is paving his driveway.  We had one neighbor do it last summer, so now all the other neighbors have to follow suit.  There's a lot of loud banging and engine noises, but the horses are so happy to be out at pasture that they don't even notice all the noise pollution.  This neighborhood used to consist of all dirt roads and dirt or gravel driveways, but the city people moving here insist on paving everything over.  They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Oh well, I lost my battle to keep the neighborhood rural as soon as Wal-Mart bought the farm down the road.  They are already installing a sewage system.  Though my property looks beautiful in pictures, the noise level is horrendous between the increased traffic on the highway and all the construction projects of my neighbors.  I wonder if I can move out of here before Wal-Mart opens.  That would be a dream come true.

11 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You should go for it. Even though there are some folks (retirement people, low income....anyone without or limited access to a vehicle), many people don't want to live near a shopping center, especially Walmart.
Selling our last home right before the Walmart across from our subdivision was built was the best choice we have probably ever made. Whenever we go back to visit we are always shocked at how heavy the traffic and noise are there now. And we noticed that the crime rate in that area has also went up, too.

It's a shame the neighbors are paving everything. The worst thing about that is water run-off and flooding. Where will the excess water go during heavy rains?

I'm impressed that you've been able to get your pasture all greened up and grassed out. There is no green grass here at all. I'm praying for daily rain during our monsoon season in July and August. Hopefully the rains will come before the lightning as we are too dry here to risk fires from lightning strikes.

~Lisa

Mikey said...

Your property does look beautiful. First pic I was like "ooooooo, look at all the green grass!"
Walmart right down the street? Blech. I always said, the second they pave our road, I'm outta here. You called it, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot. I wish people would realize what they've done.

Once Upon an Equine said...

I'm glad to see your weather took a turn for the better. Your horses look very content.

Crystal said...

They do look happy!

anita said...

That should have been stressful.

Linda said...

I bet they loved their time grazing--it's good for their souls! Hope you can get out of there soon. Do you have any plans?

fernvalley01 said...

they look happy to be out , hope you do find your "wide open spaces" someday real soon

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm not big on paving either but I must admit with all the rain we've had this year, I've been thinking maybe I made a mistake. Some concrete in front on my stalls might be better than the current mud.

Wal-Mart right down the road and I'd be outta here.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Argh! Yesterday's 10-day forecast showed it as sunny and clear. Today's 10-day forecast shows rain today and tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday OF COURSE, and Wednesday and Thursday of next week -- right on time for my flight out of town. I love flying thunderstorms. All that turbulence makes me happy. (Do you hear my seething sarcasm?) I may as well retire my horses because I'm not going to get a dry weekend as long as I live in Northern Nevada.

Rising Rainbow said...

U can relate to your frustrations over quickly changing weather reports although usually we're lucky if there's a day or two in the ten day that hold any hope for working horses. It seems that one day just keeps sliding farther and farther away if it doesn't disappear at all. I'm glad I don't have to fly in such weather, that's for sure. I, too, am so frustrated I'm thinking my horses might as well be retired and for me it's about 15 I need to be doing something with. I keep thinking I'm going to get a rotation schedule set up for them but I can't even get started with most of them but the weather rarely holds off long enough to get two done in that one day with some kind of clearly. Feels like I'm making no progess with any of them.

achieve1dream said...

Yay grass! They look so happy. :D