Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Herd is Growing

No, I'm not getting more horses, but my horses have adopted the three goats and two rabbits next door as a part of their herd. They've become quite attached and spend all their time standing at the fence.

With a larger herd, the horses feel more confident about lying down...

...and sleeping on the job.

The goats are very sweet. I can't figure out how goats got associated as a symbol of the devil, because they seem so angelic. The horses are going to have a hard time adjusting when the goats are taken away to their new home.

In other news, I've been trying to keep all my limbs and digits intact, because I have to make at least two more trips to my mother's hometown to settle her affairs in a timely manner, and I'm the only one who can do it. I can't afford to have any accidents right now.

So, the other morning I looked out the kitchen window and saw a cream-colored domesticated bunny sitting on my driveway. I went outside to see if it would let me catch it. I thought perhaps one of the bunnies my neighbor is babysitting got loose. It let me walk right up to it, but then hopped away onto another neighbor's lawn.

I gave up and went to the horse paddock to feed the horses their breakfast. I noticed that Lostine's feed trough was up against the water trough, but it was so cold and windy that I didn't want to have to get my fingers cold by opening the metal gate to move the water trough. My gloves were too far away and I was being lazy. I tossed each horse a flake of hay, only to have Lostine dump half of hers into the water trough. Argh!

So, I opened the gate with my cold, bare hands, moved her feed trough, and pulled all of the hay out of that icy water. By the time I got back into the house, my hands were in some intense pain. I put a cup of water in the microwave to prepare a cup of instant coffee, and when the timer buzzed, I reached in like I always do to retrieve the cup, not thinking that my hands were still painfully cold and wet.

The damage is that I burned three of my fingers and have a huge blister on one. Ouch. I haven't experienced a burn in a long time. I hope the majority of the pain goes away before my next trip. I'm gonna need those fingers.

15 comments:

Breathe said...

Ouch! Hope you've got some aloe around.

I keep my potholders right on top of the microwave. If I see 'em, I remember to use them. It's always when we are in a hurry doing the most mundane tasks...

Mikey said...

I think you're going to have to get them some goats, lol.

Paint Girl said...

Speaking from someone that has goat experience, horses and goats get along really well. It doesn't take them long to get used to each other. One of our goats, Walter become extremely close to Brandy, and has switched to being close to Fritzy. He will only eat hay with Fritzy, nose to nose.
Now, goats aren't always angelic. Our other goat, Edgar, the one I almost killed today, is a huge thorn in my you know what. Every night he tries to steal my horses grain and no matter what we do, we can't get him to quit. The horses won't chase him off. I can't separate them because I have no where to put them right now with all the mud. After today's incident, I am ready to find a new home for Edgar. I've pretty much am at my wit's end with him.
Sorry about your fingers! That has to hurt. Hope they heal up quick!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Ouch! Your poor fingers. Heal quickly.

Those goats are pretty cute and they're good company for your herd.

Dreaming said...

It's neat to see your horses making friends! I do remember stories of race horses that had goat companions.

We drive by a field where two gypsy vanner horses live with a sheep. It's kinda funny to see the little guy hanging with the big ones!

Take care of yourself -

fernvalley01 said...

Ouch! that would hurt! The horses are cute with the goats.I knew a stallion once that had a goat for a companion

Linda said...

My horses love our goats, too, and my pony shares a stall and turnout with the goats. She keeps the peace between them all. Unfortunately, they like to chew her mane and tail.

Katharine Swan said...

There are a couple of horses at our barn that actually put their hay in their water on purpose. They like it wet, for some reason! They'll put a big bunch of hay in their water and stand there eating it, then bring more hay over. Maybe Lostine moved her feed trough over to the water trough on purpose? ;o)

The D-Meister said...

That is adorable.

Sorry about your fingers. Next time pretend that you're your own daughter. Then you'll always make yourself wear gloves. ;-)

Once Upon an Equine said...

It's nice to see that you finally have some good next-door neighbors! That must put a smile on your face to see them hanging out at the fence like that. Very cute!

We have a friend who had a lonely-only horse. One day a lost sheep (literally a lost sheep) wandered into their pasture through the fence (that's probably how it got away from its last home), became best buddies with the horse and never leaves the horse's side. The people posted notices, but noone claimed the lost sheep. Now it is a companionship that nobody wants to break up anyway.

Rising Rainbow said...

It does look like the horses have bonded with the goats.

You're right about the symbolism although for the life of me I can't recall why that is. I know there is a story about it somewhere, maybe the old testament.

I hope your burn is doing better. Is Lostine a "dunker" or was it just about proximity. I have several dunkers here. Makes for keeping clean water tough. LOL

Breathe said...

Aside: In answer to your question, Lily's writing was a bit rushed (I suspect the mare was giving her the stink eye) and she drew frowny faces over all the letter i's.

She's behaving so well I swear it's like she's trying to make sure she doesn't have to go to "training" again.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lostine didn't dunk her hay on purpose. It was a matter of proximity. She grabs the flake with her teeth and yanks it into the air to break off the first few bites, and it just happened to land in the water trough. My blister grew and grew in size until it popped yesterday. I'm keeping the loose skin over it to avoid having an open wound. Yum.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That's crazy! The weather has been so nutty, but I'm surprised that it's still cold enough there to freeze your hands when in the water.
So many people are dealing with a wet Spring, you're dealing with cold, and we're dealing with winds.
The temps have been really nice, though. Not too hot and not to cold...in the upper 60's to mid 70's.

Goats are pretty sweet. I really enjoy our 3. I had once considered selling Luna, my Angora goat, but when I listed her, I had quite a few devil-worshiper types who wanted to buy her because they know that angoras are typically allowed to keep their horns. When the goats are killed and the skulls skinned and dried, they resemble a demon. The devil worshipers use the skulls in their "ceremonies".

Well, of course, I decided to never re-home my Luna because I'm pretty confident that she would end up being used by bad people.

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Ow! Crap! I hate burns. I agree with the others that aloe works great. I once burned two of my fingers really bad and I actually kept them in a cup of ice water for three days even while sleeping. I know you aren't supposed to do that but I couldn't handle the pain. I had to slowly wean myself off of the ice water. Basically I'm saying I totally sympathize and hope your burns heal quickly.