Thursday, May 12, 2011

Say Cheeseburger

I owed the animal shelter a photo shoot, because at the end of March I had told one of the officers that I would be by the next morning to take pictures, and then couldn't show up, because that turned out to be the dreadful day in which I received the phone call about my mother's passing.

Life has been a blitz ever since. I did make some time to walk a few dogs mainly to take my mind off of things, but I wasn't ready until yesterday to put my professional photographer hat back on. Right off the bat, one of the volunteers said something rude and insensitive to me, and I began wondering if I had made a mistake in volunteering my photography services. Then I reminded myself that I'm there to help find homes for the dogs, and nothing else should matter.

Still it was hard to remove the sting of the way I was treated, so I'm taking it easy today and trying to avoid people. In two hours I was only able to photograph half the adoptable dogs, so I do need to go back at some point to photograph the rest.

During my absence, I found that almost all the dogs who had been in the shelter in March had been adopted by May, which was encouraging. We even had multiple people interested in some dogs and had to sort out who got them. It's sad seeing people disappointed, because someone beat them to it and adopted the dog they liked before them.

Anyway, I know you like to see pictures from my animal shelter photo shoots, so here are a few of them. I didn't get as many unique or interesting shots this time, because many of the dogs either had to be kept on leash or had to be held up. There was a lot of activity going on in the opposite direction of where I was shooting for the best light, so the dogs kept turning away from me and sticking their butts in the camera. Many of them didn't respond to my dog barks and kitty meows and silly noises, or if they did, it was a half-second glance and my camera kept having a one-second delay between me pressing the shutter release and it taking the picture.

Also, for those dogs who could go off leash, I had to capture them when they were doing something interesting or looked good, and unfortunately, much the time their most interesting shots had ugly backgrounds. If I had the time to Photoshop everything, I'd remove some of the backgrounds. The volunteers help me in trying to get the dogs to face the camera, but a lot of times their feet or legs end up in picture as a result. If this were a job where I was being paid for my time or if I simply had a lot of spare time, I would clean up that stuff.

At any rate, the dogs look great and are happily waiting for new families.







9 comments:

Janine said...

Ohhh, don't be so hard. Your pictures came out GREAT!!! Cute dogs too!

Diamond in the ruff said...

Awwh! I love the pics!;o) It's great that you're helping out the animal shelter, even though I'm sure a hunderd other people were asking you to do a thousand other things! I love your blog and I would love for you to come visit mine:www.wildheartsrunningfree.blogspot.com

J M S said...

GREAT pictures!

Sydney_bitless said...

Aww cute pictures!

Anonymous said...

Your shots make me want them, so don't be so down on them! First one won my heart, but the 3rd one down looks like a great dog for a farm - strongly resembles one of mine who is a fabulous farm dog.

fernvalley01 said...

I think they are great shots

dibear said...

They are all sweet, but the last one got my heart. :)

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, they are SO CUTE!!!

achieve1dream said...

Those pictures are fantastic! That brindle dog is very pretty. :)

Don't let the rude people bring you down. It's difficult not to, but remember there are a lot more kind people who care about you than there are insensitive idiots.