Monday, May 9, 2011

Too Many of 'Em

Morons. There are just too many of them in my area. We suffered through yet another power outage last night. This has been going on at least every other week since last fall. I keep wondering when our power company is going to get its act together. Why does it annoy me so much? Because we have to go without heat and water, our food in the fridge goes bad (and the power outages only happen within hours of us buying a week's worth of groceries and filling up our fridge, of course), and Midge the Scaredy Dog goes nuts, so I have to shove her into her little cage to keep her from tearing the house apart. Then when the power comes on, we have to walk around the house re-setting the clocks and alarms so that everyone gets to work and school on time. (And yes, I know about generators, but I'd rather save up my money to just move out of this hell hole to some area where people know how to manage a power plant.  I might, however, invest in battery powered alarm clocks.  You know that as soon as I do, the power outages will come to an end.)

Argh! Would you believe it is snowing right now? Give me a break! I just let the horses out of their stalls because the weather man said there would be no precipitation after 7:00 AM. Well, guess what? There was no precipitation before 7:00 AM, and now that it actually is 7:00 AM, it's snowing. Morons.

After hardly getting any sleep between insomnia and the power outage, I came into the family room to relax in my recliner with a cup of coffee, and some guy driving some vehicle with a souped up engine drove past at 6:30 AM waking everyone in the neighborhood. Isn't there a law against how loud engines on street cars can be? Morons.

Then there's the goat situation...

My horses were better off when they were scared of the goats. Now the horses are charging the goats through the fence part of the time, trying to play with them through the fence another part of the time, and lying down beside them another part of the time. In this case, after I took these pictures, Gabbrielle rolled into the fence and got cast. I had to help her up.

Also, the horses are suddenly getting all kinds of cuts on them they normally don't get, which means that either they are cutting themselves on the fence or they are running or rubbing into goat horns through the fence.

Then there's the condition of my fence. I paid all the money I had in the world ($6,000 of hard-earned cash) to put up that chain-link fence back in the day when the horse of the lady who used to live in that house knocked down the previous chain-link fence. She couldn't afford to fix it herself, so I just paid for it and ordered her to keep her horse elsewhere. I had to install all new posts with stronger, thicker steel, and new chain-link.

Now these goats spend the majority of their day rubbing back and forth along the chain-link, creating dips in it where they stretch it out. They are even breaking the wires that anchor the chain-link to the posts. The goats are white, but they have gray all over their sides from rubbing the fence.

Also, I pile manure along the bottom of the fence line to prevent my horses from stabbing themselves on the sharp parts that stick out down there. There is a wire that runs along the bottom of the chain-link and if they paw, their hooves get stuck in that wire, they panic and pull back, and injure themselves. Anyway, the goats are pawing under the fence and digging out all that manure I piled up there to protect my horses' hooves and legs.  (It wasn't bad at the time I took these pictures, but now our ground cover on our side of the fence is eroding since they dug out everything on their side of the fence.)

These neighbors are a pain in the butt. Big time. They just don't have a clue as to how negatively their decisions affect me, and I'm afraid to complain, because each time I've complained in the past, they've just come up with some solution that is worse than the previous problem. Morons.  (And, yes, goats are allowed to be kept on the properties in my neighborhood.  I just don't know why they chose to pen them right up against my horse paddock.  They have nearly two acres of land.  Let's spread it out, people.  We don't need to be on top of each other.)

I, personally, think that these do-gooders told the goat owners to put the goats in the corner of their property that is furthest away from their house and closest to mine, because they didn't want to have to listen to the bleating or smell them.  It's just like when the lady started a day care service to make some money.  She sent the kids over to my place and happily collected her paychecks.  I did all the work having to answer the two-hundred-thousand questions that I got hit with each time I walked into my horse paddock in hopes of getting a little quiet-time with my horses.

I know that sellers can't choose who buys their home -- they can only choose the terms of the contract, but when we are in the position to move out of here, I hope the worst neighbors in the world move in so that my current next-door neighbors can have a taste of their own medicine.

So, my husband just mowed the front lawn and my son just mowed the pasture for me yesterday.  Does anyone know what effect snowfall following a fresh spring mowing does to grass?  None of my privacy trees have grown back this year.  Normally, I would plant replacements in May, but obviously there is no point since nothing can survive these winters (and falls and springs).  I'll just have to pull everything out of the ground and start hanging dirty laundry in front of my neighbor's guest house window if I want privacy, I guess.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did they have permission to attach their frnce to yours? Here one must get permission to attach a new fence to someone else's existing fence, and you can expect to pay half the cost of (and future maintence of) the section of existing fence you are making use of.

Mikey said...

I cannot believe it's snowing up there right now. How you stand it is beyond me. I hope you're looking at AZ properties already :) I think you'd do well here or NM. Even southern NV. The valley that Shiloh Horse Rescue is in (Sandy Valley) is a super place to be too. Very quiet, hidden, good weather, super horse friendly. Just sayin' :)

fernvalley01 said...

The snow shouldn't hurt the grass ,even freshly cut , happens here every spring and my lawn is often compared to a hay feild!
I suspect they put the goats where they did to capitalize on your good fence.Here a perimiter fnce can be used by both parties , but its maintenence is also up to both. Common courtesy would have had me asking permission ! But we know how uncommon common courtesy really is !

Breathe said...

Why do goats dig up manure? Weird.

Lots of alarms come with a battery compartment. Just as a back up.

Our grid in the us is in terrible shape, especially in the west.

We have no snow. Just saying.

Cheryl Ann said...

Frankly, I would love to move to New Mexico! Let's go!!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wanna be neighbors?

Maybe Bombay would become attached to my llamas? Many a gelding has fallen in love with Cataleya. She must have something very alluring to a male horse. It must be the way she flutters those long eyelashes of hers. lol!

We're finally getting a little rain today. We have a long way to go in the moisture department, but the weather is more often than not, perfect!

~Lisa

ps
Did you hear that?

New Mexico is calling you...yoohooo!