Monday, June 13, 2011

3+2+2=7

Remember how the  goats next door started out as 3, and then 2 babies showed up last week?  Well, my husband and I were delivering fresh salt licks to the horses when we noticed that one of the baby goats was covered in blood and the mama goat was trying to lick it off.  I hurried over the the fence to assess the injuries, and discovered this was a completely different baby goat that was just born.  Gabbrielle didn't hesitate to point it out to me.


The mama goat kept looking at me with pleading eyes, and then turned around and laid down in front of me. I heard some squishing noises and out popped another baby right before my eyes.  I was amazed that I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to witness the birth.  I have yet to see a foal born despite living across the street from a horse breeding farm, because horses always seem to wait until people are deep asleep or looking the other way to give birth.

Gabbrielle was fascinated.  I think now my horses and I qualify for being the nosy neighbors.  Of course, no one was home next door to help.  These people are always under my feet except for when they are actually needed.  The second baby goat had inhaled some mucous and dirt and was having a hard time breathing.  It kept coughing.  I contemplated climbing the fence, but there was a really mean billy goat with very sharp horns ready to attack me on the other side.  He actually tried to butt me through the fence and stretched the chain-link so far that he hit me.

Lostine's maternal instinct took over and she joined us in looking on.

Then the 2 babies from the other mama goat came over to meet the new kids on the block.

The mama goat was anxious to show the first born where to suckle, because her teats were exploding with milk. The baby kept working its way back to the mama goat's neck, so Mama stood up and the baby finally found the goods.

I waited for the mama goat to start cleaning up the second born before I left. I knew that once she started licking that one, it would be okay. Poor Bombay was in the back pen where Gabbrielle can't hurt him, and he was anxious to get back into the paddock to see what all the commotion was about.

It's raining goats.

16 comments:

TeresaA said...

oh so cute! I cant' believe the menagerie next door!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

well that's pretty exciting! Raining goats! I like that.

Jeni said...

Baby goats are cute. Old goats not so much.

Linda said...

Lucky you! Now that is special. I'm a goat fan, so I would have loved to been there.

Rising Rainbow said...

That's a lot of goats in that little pen but congratulations on getting to see the birth. That's pretty amazing and I guess that does make you the nosey neighbor for a little while anyway.

Can't imagine what goes through Gabbrielle's mind when she runs like that but maybe if you could get video that includes what you're doing we might be able to see something that could help.

I must say I covet your saddle. Looks like it has a perfect short skirt for Arabs and boy do I need one of those.

Katharine Swan said...

How cool that you happened to have your camera on hand! What an amazing thing to be able to see!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Why am I not surprised that your irresponsible neighbors are keeping an unwethered billy goat in with the does?

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Precious pictures of your horses looking on.

Getting crowded in the goat pen!

strivingforsavvy said...

Wow, isn't that something to see!

Mikey said...

How cool! Right place, right time. I bet your horses were like "WOOOOOWWWW" lol. Good entertainment!

Cut-N-Jump said...

Raining goats. That's classic.

I'm glad the goats were all ok, but it just sucks that they are part of the crappy neighbors growing zoo.

Too bad you can't shoot at the neighbors with a pellet gun or something when they come outside and distrub your peace. Might make them think twice about doing it again.

Crystal said...

cool you got to see the goat being born, but too bad there is soo many of them!

Dreaming said...

OMG - that is so incredibly cool! What a 'once in a lifetime' experience!!!

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

Beautiful little kid, I love how the horses are curious. Those goats can multiply like rabbits:)

fernvalley01 said...

How cool! at least for once you got something cool from the neighbors

achieve1dream said...

That's awesome that you got to witness the birth. :D Goats most commonly give birth in the afternoon. Don't you wish horses did? :)

I hope the coughing baby turned out okay.