Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Barn Tour - Part 3
















People thought I was crazy to be taking pictures in basements and dark spaces, but the light was really quite beautiful.  You needed a better quality camera and to hold it very still since the shutter stayed open longer.  I didn't want to drag a monopod or tripod around with me, so I just hoped my hands didn't shake.














XP does not stand for a version of Windows. This is a Pony Express saddle...



I heard several people speculating on who I might be. A lot of people were taking pictures, but I guess I looked like a professional and attracted attention. One woman asked if I was with the newspaper. Even though I said no and told her that I just like to photograph old barns, she gave me the verbal history of her antiques shop and invited me to come back any time. She said, "We'll leave you alone and let you do your work. We don't follow you around."

I noticed that. Several people toured her antiques shop and no one was there hovering about to make sure nothing was stolen. These people just trusted everyone, even though there was a fairly large crowd. There were other barns I visited in which I was herded over to the tour group and not allowed to wander and take pictures. It's kind of hard to take pictures when you are surrounded by people in a tour. At one barn, I tried to sneak off twice and got caught both times and led back to the tour group. I was anxious to move on to a friendlier barn after that.

I really experienced the whole spectrum of trust and distrust. I wasn't interested in stealing anything or rifling through people's personal belongings. I was just looking for charming, unique scenes to photograph. I appreciate people who maintain old barns. One farmer told a story about how he and two other people were hanging from ropes trying to hold down the roof on his barn this winter when the winds got really bad. He said the roof was actually lifting up and pulling them up several feet off the ground. Despite living in this area his whole life, he'd never experienced winds like we've had in recent years.

6 comments:

Mikey said...

Incredible pictures, and such tremendous work and craftmanship in those old barns. I swear I could almost smell the air up there, looking at these pictures.

Mary said...

Your photography skills are truly enviable! If those barns could talk...Really nice, I can't pick a fav.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yeah the winds have been brutal in New Mexico, too. With the drought, it's like a dustbowl here. Not to mention the way that strong winds help move forest fires quickly through the forests.
Even now, all the way into the middle of summer, we still have high winds. Never in my 20 years of living in New Mexico have we had high winds this late in the season.

Thanks for sharing your barn tour with us. Your photos are very nice and I love seeing old barns maintained, too.

~Lisa

Cut-N-Jump said...

Love the barns and the water tank, without the green stuff coming out of the spigot of course.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Beautiful pictures! You captured the best and most intriguing parts.

achieve1dream said...

Those are awesome! I absolutely love the first two pictures and the antique cars and the red fence and the tree . . . okay I love them all. You did great. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour. :)