Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cooperation from Animals?

Every day is so unpredictable.  I can plan my day, but I can't follow through, because from sunrise until late into the evening I receive emails and phone calls on both phones from people asking me to give them information or fill out forms to settle my mother's estate.  Sometimes one phone is ringing while I'm on the other phone.  It's crazy. 

Both of our printers broke down at the same time twice, and what I need more than anything right now is a printer/scanner/copier/fax machine.  So, yesterday my son drove me into the city to pick out a new one.  That wasn't on my list of things to do, but it quickly became a priority when I had no way to print, scan, copy or fax all this urgent paperwork.  I was so distracted that I totally forgot we should have brought the truck so that I could have bought a tall file cabinet too.  Right now I've got all of my mother's papers in cardboard boxes and plastic garbage bags on my office floor.  I'd like to reclaim my house and get it cleaned up.  I have all my parent's scrapbooks in the garage, and no one can park in there until I find a shelf in the house I can storm them on. 

Amongst all this craziness it suddenly hit me this morning that the animals have been my easiest challenge, because they seem to sense that I'm in a "no B.S." mood and they just cooperate with me.  After the house fire, Scrappy got sick from smoke inhalation.  He had a sour stomach and started eating grass like nuts.  That resulted in him vomiting up balls of grass bigger than his stomach every few minutes on the carpet.  He wasn't eating, so Midge started eating both her food and his behind my back, and she started getting fatter.  That was last week.  This week all I have to do is look at Midge and say her name, and she knows to stay away from Scrappy's food.  Scrappy is eating and feeling better now.  Even he knows my intentions and does what I ask without being stubborn, which is totally out of character for him.

The horses have been awesome.  My son and I walked them to the pasture and back, him with one horse and me with two.  I didn't know if I could manage leading two horses in an unenclosed area.  If a neighbor jumped out from behind a tree and they spooked in opposite directions, my arms would practically be ripped off my body.  But the horses just followed me on loose leads and behaved themselves.  They knew where we were going and just walked with me without looking around for something to spook at like they usually do. 

Also, since it was raining so much and the wind was blowing so hard, I had to feed the horses in their stalls.  Usually, if I push a wheelbarrow filled with hay through the gate, all three horses are walking beside me taking snatches at the hay and knocking the wheelbarrow over.  Now all I have to do is stand at the gate and clear my throat.  All three obediently march into their stalls and wait at the windows for their serving of hay.  My kids are finally growing up and showing some manners.

The horses have also been very affectionate toward me lately.  They line up for their hugs and kisses.  Lostine keeps asking when we are going for a trail ride.  I'm hoping soon.  We had sunshine yesterday and I'm waiting for the mud to dry up and to get through this latest trip I have to take.  Thoughts of trail riding have been eclipsing my mind lately.   I just imagine myself riding in the mountains and instantly feel relaxed.

8 comments:

Mikey said...

Wish I could get to Tempe today or tomorrow, but am slammed with appts that I can't miss. Darn it all! Next time... maybe you'll come back for the Scottsdale show and we can hang out with Paint Girl.

fernvalley01 said...

Your darlings love you , and are probably the best thterapy you could get! Glad at least that part of your life is bringing you some peace

Crystal said...

Good to know you are getting cooperation from somewhere.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds like your life is predictably unpredictable. At least the animals are trying to make life easier on you (well except for the slimy wads of vomited grass. ewww!...glad he's feeling better)

Just keep this images of a relaxing trail ride in your mind and you'll get through this chaos.

Have a safe trip,
~Lisa

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think your no nonsense attitude is making all your animals take notice. Hope all this mess you've got going clears up soon and you get a relaxing trail ride in. That will make you de-stress and feel so much better.

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

It is an interesting phenomina...

But I have noticed the same thing over the years. My family has asked me why I always seem to look pissed when I am working with horses...I'm not...I have just adopted a business-like, no BS will be tolerated attitude and I guess that comes across as being pissed. I seldom have issues with the horses...and if I do, it's because I come up with stupid ideas like-rather than lead all 5 head to the pasture, I just lead 2 at a time and let the 3rd one follow...right?

Not so much...horse number 3 decides the quickest way to the pasture is by galloping pell-mell through the freshly watered yard and leaves huge divets with every thundering stride...gets going the wrong way, realizes it, does a sliding stop a professional reiner would have been proud of...of course scraping up huge chunks grass...and then gallops through the pasture gate.

Time saved having to lead one odd horse to pasture?

Zero...

Time spent repairing damaged lawn?

One Hour...

Cut-N-Jump said...

Sometimes we all need to take a breather. I like to go sit in the barn while the horses are eating. Nothing more relaxing than hearing them chomp away on food. Add a little rain on the roof and call it prefect in my world.

Leave the phone and the 'worries' in the house for a little while. It really can wait for 10, 20, 30 minutes. It can even wait an hour if that's how long it takes you to unwind a bit. Enjoy it. That's WHY you have horses, right?

achieve1dream said...

Just goes to show how in tune to our body language our animals are. :D I'm glad they are being cooperative. I'm sure that makes it easier to deal with the stupid neighbors and paperwork. I'm glad Scrappy is feeling better. And you too!