Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day is Done

Day is done... gone the sun...

I know.  Three posts in one day is ridiculous.  I just like to write.  Don't feel obligated to read.  My mood improved considerably when my son picked up a two-foot long deli sandwich for us to work our way through for lunch and dinner.  I walked a few dogs at the shelter, and the lunged Gabbrielle, working on CONTROL so that there were no wipe outs.  She did well.

I then started working on desensitizing Lostine to the halter, since she runs every time she sees it.  I found a bunch more rocks and sticks and bricks in my paddock probably thrown over the fence by little Jeffrey Dahmer next door.  Then the woman opened up her front door and let the little turd out to pester me while she hid in her house and laughed.  I got pissed and went back inside my house, grabbed my camera and waited for the kid to start torturing either the goats or my horses.

Of course, as soon as I got bored and walked off to do something else, the kid began squirting the goats with one of those huge pump-up squirt guns.  I grabbed my camera and ran outside to film it, but his father drove up just then to pick him up and take him home.  A little later I looked out my window and saw the dad squirting the goats with the gun.  My husband got angry that the guy was setting a bad example for his son, and opened the window to glare at the guy.  The only problem was that my husband was in his underwear, so he just gave the neighborhood a show.

I filmed the father squirting the goats with the gun, the hose, and a water bottle.  I also filmed him picking up a stick and beating the fence with it, then handing it to his son and letting his son poke the goats with it.  The film quality was horrible, because my camera kept focusing on the window screen instead of what was going on past it.  I didn't want to go outside to film, because then they would stop and I wouldn't have any evidence for Animal Control.

The dad got on his cell phone and seemed to be making a frantic call while his kid poked the goats with sticks and threw rocks at them.  Suddenly, a woman showed up along with several other people, and I realized that she was a vet.  She was trying to tend to all the baby goats while everyone else distracted the aggressive billy goat.  They were doing all kinds of odd things like cornering the babies with a net and luring different goats to one corner with piles of weeds.  Once I realized that they weren't torturing the goats for the sake of torturing them, but had some kind of goal in mind, I decided to cut them some slack.  At least they got a vet out there.

But the really good news is that the horse trainer at the equestrian center called me back and she does have room for Gabbrielle.  She has started Arabians before and doesn't have any prejudice against them.  Her philosophy is to make the under saddle experience fun for the horses, and she likes to work on getting them into a nice frame so that they carry themselves correctly.  Those are the two things that Gabbrielle really needs.  Right now she moves like a giraffe and is very clumsy.  She also gets irritated if I make her feel like she's working. 

This trainer does start horses on the trails and doesn't limit their training to a round pen or arena.  The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about is that she only rides them 3 days a week, so Gabbrielle will only get 12 days under saddle in a month instead of 20 or 30 days under saddle.  However, 3 days a week is still more consistent than I can pull off at the moment, and I suspect those 12 days will involve some high quality training.  If I can get things moving on settling my mother's estate and get refunded for all I've invested into it, then I can leave Gabbrielle in training for a few months.  Finally, everything doesn't feel so hopeless, because I'm getting some help in at least one area of my life.

10 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

finally ! some good news for you !
Glad the nieghbors got a vet out , still not sure what the poking a spraying was all about .

fernvalley01 said...

Also just read you other posts for today , and I feel like I need to send you the glass of wine I am drinking! What a day!

Mary said...

Phew! I'm glad the day ended on a better note than it began. Tomorrows another day!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good that the neighbors had a vet out to check on the goat kids.

And I'm glad that you got some good news about Gabbrielle's future training options.

~Lisa

Jeni said...

Glad your day got better

Crystal said...

Wow what a crazy day, but at least it ended half decent!

Study in UK said...

I don’t necessarily agree however I can understand where you are coming from with that. At least it was well thought out.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Well, at least you got through the day, right?

I hope the training works out for Gabbrielle.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Argh. I turns out that vet wasn't a vet, but was a neighbor. I saw her suctioning the babies' noses. My eyesight is getting really bad. Anyway, she must have done something right because before she showed up, the goats were bleating non-stop and the older goats were charging the babies and tossing them across the pen. After the neighbor worked on them, there was suddenly silence and the goats were living in harmony. I had forgotten what silence sounds like, because I've been listening to that ongoing drone of goat voices for so long now.

achieve1dream said...

That's awesome! I hope this trainer works out for you. :)