Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gabbrielle at Bay... I Mean at Pasture

This is the black alpha mare who always comes to the fence when I call for Gabbrielle.

On this day Gabbrielle tried to come to me, but a Paint horse pinned its ears back at her and pushed her away from me. I don't know why. The Paint wasn't interested in my attention. I think these horses just associate all people with food, so if there is a person around, they must keep the other horses away like they would with food.

I miss being able to just go into my paddock and interact with my horse.

Instead we just acknowledge each other in a sneaky way and hope the others don't notice. 

Despite visiting Gabbrielle often, I haven't seen hide nor hair of her trainer in the past 10 days.  I thought she would have at least called me to fill me in on Gabbrielle's progress.  I looked at the trainer's schedule and saw that she is running a horse day camp from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM every day this week, so I suspect she's not riding Gabbrielle at all.  That's pretty much what happened with my last horse trainer.  She got busy taking other people's horses to shows and my horse just ended up being boarded for several weeks with no training.  Many horse trainers bite off more than they can chew.  That's why I prefer to find a trainer who will come to my house and be paid per session. 

Anyway, I'm planning on calling the trainer today to set up an appointment so I can watch her train Gabbrielle.  I've only got three days next week in which I'll be in the state, so hopefully she can fit me into her schedule during that time.

On the up side, I've discovered that it's a lot easier to care for two horses, even with one of them injured, than it is to care for three.  Gabbrielle has a very fast metabolism and 75% of the poop in the paddock comes from her, so even if I am only paying for board and not much training, it's worth it to me right now.  It has freed me up to handle other things beside manure.

13 comments:

lytha said...

when we had a second horse here i couldn't believe how much more poop i had to pick up. baasha poops 4 times per night. on mornings when that pony was here, i'd find 16 piles. WTH!

it's too bad gabbrielle is not being trained as promised. you seem to have a pretty understanding attitude about it but i would be so pissed. you keep showing up and gabbrielle has obvioulsy not had a saddle on. i hope you don't pay for what you didn't get.

Dreaming said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. What a beautiful view Gabbrielle has!

I've been thinking about your awful experience a lot. I am wondering if it is a slant-load vs straight-load thing. One of my neighbor's horses came for a ride in my slant load. He was used to a straight load. He flipped out whenever we began to slow down. I'm wondering if the braking, even though I try very hard to make it gradual, caused him to feel unbalanced. He really scratched up the front wall of the trailer - maybe if I had a pad on the wall, he could have pulled it down, too,

appydoesdressage said...

Giving a high five for having things to do other than dealing with poo, every day I'm handling poo for at least an hour thanks to my guys. Hope G is getting worked like she is supposed to be, perhaps ask for a schedule of her workload so you can drop by unannounced?

Mikey said...

I'd be a bit upset if she isn't actually riding your horse. That is the point.... I've taken a few horses for 30 days (being paid to do it) and I rode them EVERY. DAY.
Wade's brother trains. If you drive to his place at 6 a.m. there is a line of saddled horses waiting for his attention. That's what I like to see, horses ready to go, but also being taught to stand patiently.
I can't wait for a report when you get to see her being ridden. I'm curious as to what the trainer says.

fernvalley01 said...

Is she working her client horses in the evenings?when it is cooler? Hope she is actually doing good work for you

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good for you for always finding the positive in everything.

I want to have a trainer work with Apache, too, but the issues you're dealing with for Gabbrielle are a big reason why I've kept putting it off. I don't need to pay for boarding. I need someone to work with my horse.

~Lisa

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Gee-That's kind of a bummer. It does happen that trainers end up busy here and there, but my trainer has been really good about adding days on the end of the month so I get my money's worth. Perhaps when you talk to the trainer, you can suggest the same kind of deal...that is if she admits to not riding G the 3 days a week she said she would.

Are you allowed to catch G and remove her from the pasture for some hands on time? Or do you think it would be a problem to get her caught and out of the pasture without the other horses causing you problems?

Katharine Swan said...

I remember the trainer was really good about getting on Gabbrielle right away, so I'd be surprised if she's no longer riding her at all. Perhaps you've just been missing one another when you go to visit. Hopefully she'll be able to plan a training session that you can watch -- you might also ask her to keep a notebook and jot down what she works on with Gabbrielle each time she rides her. It's not just good for making sure she's doing what you're paying her to do, but also helpful for you when you get your horse back to know what has been done with her and any other observations the trainer made.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

BEC - I'm sure I'm allowed to remove her from pasture, but since the other horses try to attack her each time I am near, I don't think it would be wise for me to go in there.

Cut-N-Jump said...

I hope the trainer is working the horse at night as suggested in the comments. Otherwise, if she knew she would be busy with the camp, why not let you know and wait until it is done?

At our place, when we had client horses, none of them were turned out with other horses. They each got their own space. The horse over the fence was close enough. Less risk of injury, less risk of one not getting anything or too little to eat and less worry for us and the owner. Everyone handles things differently though.

Breathe said...

I hope its just that you've missed her. I rarely catch our trainer working, but she puts a solid amount of time on each horse,usually 4 days a week.

Herd dynamics. Like ur high all over again.

achieve1dream said...

I hope the trainer is riding her . . . or you don't have to pay . . . at least you do get a break though from dealing with three horses. It gets to be a lot of work when you start adding horses. That's part of the reason I waited so long to get a horse for my husband. :) I can't wait to hear what the trainer says.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Since it looks like the horses are on turn out you shouldn't be paying her at all if she's not riding. Your agreement was for training. Definitely call her and see what's up. If you're not seeing saddle marks on her it doesn't sound good.