Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gabbrielle's New Digs

I paid a surprise visit to Gabbrielle this morning. The trainer had moved her from her own pasture into an area with thicker grass and a herd of friendly horses. As I drove past, I called Gabbrielle's name out the window, and she totally ignored me.

I don't blame her for not being homesick.  This new place is like a wonderland for horses.  It's beautiful, spacious, with lots of green grass, lots of other horses to socialize with, and people who bring you whatever you need.

Some ham always has to crowd the camera lens...

Gabbrielle finally decided to come up and give me a kiss, but the feisty redhead declared me as her property and she pushed Gabbrielle away.

Then Gabbrielle thought about it and decided to start pushing the redhead around, but she was more interested in gaining another rung in the herd hierarchy than she was in greeting me.  The trainer came out to give me a report on Gabbrielle's progress, which surprised me.  I didn't expect her to have worked with her already.  Bombay's trainer let him sit in a stall for two weeks before she started his training.

Anyway, K said that she saddled, bridled and lunged Gabbrielle and that she did really well.  She says she'll start riding her tomorrow.  That was a relief to hear.  I was worried she might say that she has to start from scratch with her ground training.  I guess I did an okay job in her prior years of training if K feels comfortable enough to ride her.  My other fear was that she'd say that Gabbrielle came up lame again and couldn't be ridden, but so far so good.  She said that Gabbrielle's new buddy is this bay gelding...

They did go everywhere together.  They moved into another pasture to get some shade and water, leaving the rest of the herd behind.

The equestrian center is right in the foothills of the Eastern Sierra, very close to where I ride the trails.  You may notice that the treeline in the distance looks very much like where I take my pictures from my trail rides...

They have just about every breed of horse under the sun at this facility.  I asked K how many horses she can ride in a day.  She said 8 or 9.  I told her I have 3, and I get exhausted after just riding 2.  She said it helps to have a groom who can have each horse saddled up and ready for her to hop on.  That's true.  Riding isn't what exhausts me.  It's the grooming and dealing with tack.

The facility has a brand new indoor dressage arena.  She said that she does allow the public to ride in there during the winter months, so I guess I don't have anymore excuses not to ride for six months straight.  As my finances get sorted out, I hope to take dressage lessons there.

Miss Divine...

I snapped a picture of Gabbrielle's trainer out for a leisurely stroll on a very large horse.

I love places that use old saddles as decoration...

Smile...

I am out of practice when it comes to photography. I didn't even see that truck and horse trailer in the background. K is a wonderful multi-tasker. While she's riding horses, she's also desensitizing them and taking the time to stop to talk to her clients about their horses. She doesn't seem to mind the interruptions at all. I could learn a lot from her.

I'm good about stopping to talk to people and letting them pet my horses when I'm out on the trails. I also let dogs do a meet and greet with my horses, but I'm a bit less tolerant about people interrupting my riding when I'm on my own property. I guess the difference is being out in public vs. having people invite themselves over to my private property and calling to me over the fence. I suppose if I had as much space as K does, I'd open it to the public too, because there would always be some place I can go to be alone.  But K seems to like people just as much as she likes horses and dogs.  She's a jewel in the rough.

8 comments:

Mikey said...

Sounds and looks perfect! I love the grounds and the horse she's riding. I think you found yourself a keeper!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks like a great place. So glad that Gabrielle has found a buddy who she pals around with. I don't think she's going to want to come home after this.

So nice that you will be able to ride in the winter too and keep up with her training.

Linda said...

It would be nice to have someone do my saddling and grooming. I could go for that--and barn cleaning, too. She must feel pretty confident in G if she's going to ride her on the second day. Sounds like the training is moving along fast.

The D-Meister said...

Did you frolic around there? It looks like the kind of place that's good for frolicking around.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It's good to see Gabbrielle looking so well cared for and happy.
Yep, I agree, it's the prep work (grooming and saddling) that wears a body out more than riding. But still, eight horses is a lot to ride in a day!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Such a gorgeous place. Apache would be drooling over all that green grass. K sounds awesome! She looks like a nice gal, too. And wow! Such a huge horse that K is riding! Gabbrielle looks great and very happy there. You're going to really enjoy seeing K riding Gabbrielle. I always think it feel weird when someone else rides my horse, but it's also educational and good, too.
You better watch out, though because Gabbrielle might not want to load in the trailer to leave when it's time to come back home. lol!

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

Wow! What a great place! HA~I wish I could ship Gigondas up there! She needs a LOT of work, mainly slowing down!!!! I watched my trainer work her yesterday for only the second time and I was impressed by just how relaxed the trainer was. Gigo immediately picked up on that. I'm going to have to learn to relax more!

achieve1dream said...

K sounds amazing and the place is just beautiful. Those mountains are gorgeous! I'm glad Gabrielle is enjoying herself there. I'm so glad you found this place. It sounds like heaven. :D