Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm Done. No More.

Picture innocent little me feeling happy as I prepare for a Sunday morning trail ride. I was thinking that I had to get out there early before my annoying neighbors were out and about, but when I stepped outside, there was my annoying neighbor washing the windows of her husband's truck at 7:45 in the morning. I sighed, but ignored her as I backed the trailer down to load a horse.

Bombay and Lostine knew what was up and galloped back and forth along the fence line trying to escape getting caught. Another neighbor saw this going on and came over to investigate because she thought an animal was chasing the horses. When she saw it was me, she started telling me stories I didn't have time to hear. Feeling defeated already having got into my neighbor's clutches before 8:00 AM, I told her I had to get out on the trails before it got too hot. I wasn't about to cancel yet another trail ride because my neighbor couldn't shut up.

My neighbor warned me not to go trail riding alone because bad things can happen. Thanks. I was trying to be confident and positive, just trying to have one day out on the trails without problems, and she was jinxing me. I'm sorry, but I have no friends who ride horses. I've advertised for riding companions and there were no takers. What am I supposed to do? Just stay home and never ride a horse again?

So, I caught Bombay, wrapped his front legs with polo wraps, put on his Old Macs, and tried to wrap his hind legs in polo wraps, but he kept evading me. He wouldn't hold still and I was afraid he might get irritated enough to kick me. So, I put the old stand-by splint boots on his hind legs, because they are easily attached with three Velcro straps. I didn't like leaving his hind legs partially uncovered, but the shipping boots are too big and slip underneath his feet which would cause an accident, and he's never cut his hind legs before in the trailer. Only his front legs.

I've been spending a lot of time just getting him comfortable in the trailer using clicker trainer and I felt he was ready to go for a ride. I started the engine of my truck and he freaked out, so I jumped out and gave him a treat when he settled down. I pulled forward, stopped, got out and gave him a treat. I drove slowly down the road and stopped at the end of the road to check on him. All was well.

I start heading for the mountains, go slowly around a curve and I suddenly heard BAM BAM BAM in the trailer, and the whole thing was rocking back and forth. I pulled over to the side of the road, jumped out to find Bombay on the verge of a heart attack. I looked in the window to see what got him all riled up and the first thing I saw was blood smeared all over the trailer wall.  @#$%^&*!

The next thing I noticed was that the rubber padding was ripped off the wall and Bombay was standing on it. I then saw the sharp screws that were holding the padding sticking out of the wall. What could I do? If I continued to trailer him, he'd get cut up further with the screws. If I unloaded him, I might lose him on a main highway and he could get hit by a car.  I was parked off to the side of blind curve, dogs were  barking, which was scaring him further, and people were speeding past like idiots. 

I called the vet's office to ask them what I should do, and they were closed. I hung up and thought about calling my husband, but he wouldn't know what to do either. So, I got back in my truck and I drove 20 MPH on back roads all the way home where I could unload him safely. Of course, as soon as I started backing the trailer into my driveway, my annoying neighbors decided it was a good time to leave for church, so we got stuck in a little traffic jam. This is what the trailer looked like after I unloaded Bombay...

This is what Bombay looked like after I hosed him off.

He managed to rip a hole in his splint boot and push it down his leg.  I decided to wait until I could get a vet out before removing the boots, because I suspected that they were putting pressure on some of his wounds and removing them would just cause more bleeding. This is the second splint boot he's destroyed in one of his panic attacks in the trailer. He had a huge gaping gash in his stifle that would need stitches immediately, because blood was streaming out of it, and he chopped up three of his legs just above the hoof.  He even took chunks out of two of his hooves.

I called the vet's answering service and told them I had an emergency. It turned out the vet on call was already handling an emergency and couldn't get out to look at Bombay for another hour. I asked him what I can do to stop the bleeding in the meantime. He said there's nothing I can do but wait for him.

So, I cleaned the trailer. My husband took all the screws out of the wall, but there are still sharp parts of metal, so I'll have to get the trailer repaired before any horse can use it. My neighbor came over and started telling me stories I've heard a hundred times before (she's suffering from Alzheimer's), so I cut her off and explained that I've got an emergency and I have to take care of my horse. She ignored me and continued telling me her stories. I excused myself and went back to what I was doing only to turn around and find her behind me wanting to show me pictures of her horses.

She was fishing for compliments, but I was so fed up with her being insensitive to the fact that I was extremely busy and under stress that I said nothing. There was a time when this lady would have been grabbing her medical supplies and helping me patch up Bombay's wounds, but she's so out of it now that it's difficult to keep her mind on track.

The vet arrived, cleaned all the wounds, trimmed the hair around all the wounds, and sewed up the gash on Bombay's stifle. He said we've got to try to keep the stitches in for at least two weeks. I figured Bombay would be ripping them out with his teeth by tomorrow. If we put a neck collar on him, he'd find some way to get hurt wearing that. Vaseline and Cayenne Pepper don't work with my horses.  They just  lick it off.  I asked if I can cover it with AluSpray if he rips out the stitches, but the vet said that they seem to have stopped manufacturing AluSpray. He had a little bit left in a can, but would have to search his supply at the clinic to see if he had any for me. I said I'd like to pick up some Xterra while I'm at it.


He's on antibiotics and pain killers, of course. The first thing that happened when I cut him loose was that Lostine started licking his stitches and the AluSpray, so I had to separate them. Of course, before I could separate them, my senile neighbor came out a third time to tell me the same stories she's told me hundreds of times before. She dragged me over to her place to look at her horses. As soon as I got over there, I was thinking, "Why am I here? I have a medical emergency at home and I've got to get my horses into separate pens."

I realized that my neighbor was waiting for me to compliment her horses, and I knew that if I did, she wouldn't let me go, so I said nothing. I considered pointing out their flaws and ticking her off so that she wouldn't want my company anymore, but thought that would be taking it too far. My husband saw that I needed rescuing, so he came up the street to tell me I'm needed back at home, only instead of saying anything, he just stood there looking uncomfortable. So, I started walking back to the house and he followed while our neighbor kept talking.  Later he said, "She sure doesn't let anyone get a word in edgewise, does she?"

The only thing productive that came out of our conversation was that I agreed to contact the Animal Shelter to come take a look at the other neighbors' goats. My good neighbor tried hand feeding the baby goat that got rejected by its mother, but it hurt her hips to have to bend down or sit on the ground, and the mother goat kept attacking her. So, she told my annoying neighbor to take over hand feeding the baby goat every 3 hours. My annoying neighbor only hand fed the baby goat 2 or 3 times in a 24-hour period and it almost died. So, now my good neighbor is back to doing the hand feeding again.

Now that I know the goat owner is a problem because she keeps promising to pick up the goats and move them to a different location, yet never shows up, and my annoying neighbors are a problem because they are doing the bare minimum to care for the goats, and my good neighbor is in physical pain from taking care of the goats, I've decided that I'm going to report the problem to the animal shelter. I can be the bad guy and take all the blame, but it will solve everyone's problems, especially the goats'.

In the meantime, I'm done with trailering Bombay. He can stay in my paddock until he dies or until some very gifted horse trainer can brave his mental illness and help him get over his trailer fears. He not only impossibly ripped the padding off the wall, but he tore holes in a different type of padding.  The vinyl around the holes is sharp, so we had to remove that from the trailer.


There was not just blood everywhere, but skin and muscle tissue. The flies are having a hey day. I'm sick of people telling me to get a stock trailer. I don't know anyone who has a stock trailer. (I don't know anyone who will ride with me, remember?) I'm out of work and I'm not about to go buy one. I'm just going to ask the place that repairs my trailer to remove the center divider. I'm sure that will cause new problems when I have to trailer both mares together, but I'm convinced that no matter what you do with horses, you lose. Horses are a lose-lose situation.

My vet says I'm in quite a quandary, because if I try to find a new home for Bombay, the buyer can't trailer him home. She'll have to lead him or ride him home. I do plan to move someday, and obviously I'm not going to be able to trailer Bombay out of state if I can't trailer him down the street and around the corner, so I'll have to find him a new home nearby.

Not only am I disappointed that once again I am going to be looking at a very expensive unexpected bill while unemployed, but I'm frustrated that I have to get the trailer repaired, because until that is done, I cannot trail ride Lostine or bring Gabbrielle home from the trainer's. I was already booked up for the next three weeks with a lot of hard work and now I have to stay at home and give medications and clean wounds on an injured horse. I didn't need this. Why does the universe think I need this? I don't get it. I must have been one sick SOB in a previous life to be getting the karma I've been experiencing lately.

I'm contemplating ending my horse ownership all together and take up some nice quiet hobby like knitting.

29 comments:

Sydney_bitless said...

Oh Nuzz don't get discouraged. Personally though I HATE slant load trailers. None of my horses have ever trailed quiet in them once the trailer is moving and they are on an angle. Indigo had a downright fit and only went 5 miles and in those 5 miles she sweat so much she was drenched by the time she got home. Shes fine in our trailer (which is a stock) and strait load trailers.

Sounds like maybe once Gab is back paying a trainer to trailer Bombay is a good idea. Imagine if you had an emergency and the only way to get him there was trailering. Also not saying you do this but I have seen horses ruined by turning fast, breaking fast and speeding up too fast. Other things a driver can do can seem fine but with a horse they can make them go over the edge.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It's only discouraging because this is the third time this has happened and it's getting very expensive. When a problem starts getting repetitive, sucking up all my time and money, I need to get rid of it in some radical way. Here are my options at the moment: #1. Retire Bombay and make him a pasture ornament. #2. Rob a bank and get enough money to pay a trainer to work with him for a couple of years. Why years? Because I've been working with him on this for years and it hasn't made any difference. #3. Find a new home for him with someone who doesn't need to trailer him. #4. Rob a bank and buy a new trailer, although I think that with the cost of trailers that would be a mighty risky purchase not knowing if switching to straight load or a stock trailer will fix the problem. Plus I just don't have the time to spare to take the trailer in for repairs, none-the-less shop for a new trailer.

sue said...

I wish I had some magic words that would "fix" all this... but, just know that a "stranger" who reads your blog and considers you a friend... I want to say I am so sorry for this awful day that you had and I will send up some prayers that things turn around... best wishes from Maine....

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's too bad that this happened and I can see why you are fed up. Don't get discouraged some horses take forever to train, I know our Mellon could have that trailer rocking pretty good for a lot of years. He finally got over it and we always traveled with a buddy, I think that's what helped him.

Anyway, if you ever decide to move you can always hire a company of professionals to trailer him to his new digs and take the worry off your shoulders. Hope things start working out for you soon with everything.

Mikey said...

I can see why you'd be discouraged. I wish I was closer to you. To be blunt, you've lost the fun in horses. You're in a rut and nothing that happens is good. Somehow you must break the bad cycle you're in.
I have lots of thoughts on this whole thing, none of which would probably help :) Your divider doesn't pop out? Even if it did, giving him more room may make things worse.
I'd go with a getting a trainer to help, when you can. I've had a few horses hard to trailer and the only thing that made a change was making it fun for the horses. Not just in giving treats, but in the horses knowing that getting in the trailer with me meant we were going to go somewhere really cool and FUN. They got to looking forward to it. I still have old Smokey, who is on the verge of panic to get in any trailer, stands in it shaking like a leaf. But I do have to trailer her sometimes and she has to get over it. I started her in the stock and when we bought the slant load, I had major misgivings about it (she did too) and her being in it. You can't hard tie this horse AT ALL. She will flip completely out. So what to do in a slant? First couple times, I wedged her in between two old steady horses, dividers in place. She kept her head down to the floor the whole time, but didn't flip out. Now she accepts it. Still doesn't like it, still keeps that head down (which makes me nervous!), but we get there. Once we're there, she has a good time (massage, brushing, etc), even if it's the vet's office. I took about a week of playing with her at home and a couple short trips down the dirt road before we "went to town". When I felt she was ready as she'd ever be, we went.
Here's my unasked for advice :) I'd make the trailer my new "thing" every. single. day. Much like getting bucked off and getting back on, get that horse on the trailer again ASAP. Make time to do it. Try to make a lot of time (I know, that is super hard these days) and take your time. Set out to work 15 minutes, but give yourself 3 hours to do it in, allocating for nosy neighbors. When those neighbors do come over to chit chat, stand right there with your horse on or off the trailer and chat. Relax, take your time, HAVE FUN. Don't even bother to try to go anywhere, just you and your horses have fun playing in the trailer. I'd load and unload EVERYONE, in every combination possible. Crank the music, dance around, be silly, get yourself in a happy place and the horses will follow (or look at you like you've grown two heads, which is often the look I get)
*more coming, I wrote a book and blogger says it's too much*

Mikey said...

I load anywhere from 1 -4 horses at time, often by myself. I've messed around with them so much, I can leave a couple standing loose at the back with ropes over their withers. Sometimes the problem is keeping them OFF until I get the first horse in. Monte will put his front feet in and wait until I say ok, then load himself. Even Smoke, the "new" horse we got last year with trailer loading problems, who took me an hour to talk onto the trailer the first time, he's like that now. You'd never know he had a problem and I can put him in whatever slot, but we had to work up to it. At first he had to have the last slot, the window had to be open, you couldn't get in with him... it took some time, but now he's an old ranch hand. That's the point you want to be at.
One thing I've been told by a rancher is they ALWAYS have feed in the trailer (this after I watched two colts out in the open jump in his trailer, cause they knew there was food in there) I'm not saying feed them only in the trailer (like I know people say will work) but just make sure there's always something good in there waiting.
When you finally get things feeling all good again, everyone's happy and relaxed, go for a short trip. Like to the nearest grassy area/lot. Or even just 50 ft in the yard. (I sometimes take mine to the grocery store) Unload, walk around the trailer, hang out, make the horses comfortable, check out new things together. Let people pet them, walk them like dogs, etc. Take them letterboxing! (or geocaching, whichever it is) I treat my horses like my buddies. A lot of times we hand walk and check things out. We talk, we laugh, we act silly together. Just me and the horse.
Concentrate on having nothing but fun for both of you. Sometimes it's work to have fun.
It's a tough discouraging place to be and I hope you don't give up. Find the fun again in life. It's there somewhere!!
Sorry I wrote a book and all the unsolicited advice. Take what you like, toss the rest :)

Tammy said...

Boy, he did himself & the trailer up good! How frustrating for you. How is he with another horse in the trailer... wondering if he isn't panicking because he is missing a buddy... just throwing out ideas.

When I bought a new trailer last year, it had a ramp. I didn't know it was going to be an issue and all of a sudden 3 out of 5 of my horses wouldn't load in it. I could force them in but I wanted "point & click" like with my old trailer. I did have a trainer come out and we worked thru it successfully & they load fine now. But I understand yours is a different situation.

I guess I would try loading at home - with and without a buddy. Leave him in there; feed him in there. Longer each time, but not moving. But you may have already done all that.

Good luck. Can totally understand your frustration!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I think you forgot choice:
#5. Line the entire trailer with thick rubber and foam filled pads(attached without screws....perhaps gorilla glue or something even more sticky and permanent.

And there is also choice:
#6. Horsie Hypnosis (you're feeling sleepy...very sleepy....)


I know those probably won't get much more than a wry smile from you (and I don't blame you at all), but I know you have one of the best, and most cynical senses of humor I've ever experienced...and I like you a whole lot for that.

And I know you're not looking for advice or ideas, because you've been given a whole slew of them and have already tried them all.
You already know it's not your type of trailer that is causing Bombay's freak-outs. Most folks swear by the slant-loading trailers because most horses do really well in them and are able to balance themselves really well.

But for Bombay, it seems that the traveling itself is causing his freak-outs. Does he do any better when he has another horse inside with him....like when you took him to the vet for the Vax clinic this Spring?

What happened to Bombay (and poor you...having to deal with it all) is horrific! He really sliced himself up terrible. I know you're not looking for advice and are just venting and that's a good thing.
But why didn't the vet suggest some mild tranquilizers for Bombay in the future, similar to what nervous dogs get before they are flown in an airplane or have to deal with a thunderstorm?
Something that would mostly wear off by the time you reached your trail ride location...and then could be given again before reloading back onto the trailer?

I wish I could give you a great big warm hug in person, but since I can't.....

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))
~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Wow that sucks! Poor Bombay. That looks painful. :( I'm so sorry this happened again. Maybe Bombay has an irrational phobia of trailers. If humans can have phobias I don't see why horses can't.

I've never really dealt with slant load trailers. Mine is a straight load and has no center divider. I actually haul Chrome untied so he can move around and find his balance. He likes to put his butt in a corner and use it for balance. Maybe Bombay can't balance and panics. I wonder if removing the center divider like you were thinking would help. However I'm with you on thinking it might be in his best interest to not trailer him . . . that's a pretty scary problem. Some people have said that hauling them backwards is easier for them too. I'm so sorry you're having so many problems. I understand completely and don't really have any advice unfortunately.

Oh also wanted to ask. Have you ever ridden with him in the trailer so you can see what exactly he's doing? Obviously you can't do that unless there is a safe place. Mine has a narrow gap in the front with a bar so I can safely stand in there if I need to. Please keep us updated on Bombay.

achieve1dream said...

Oh and I forgot to ask. Have you ever hauled him with a companion? Maybe that would help him be calmer?

Breathe said...

Do you know somebody with a stock trailer? You could try it to see if he would do better, then sell your trailer to cover the cost. They are so much cheaper.

I know you don't have time to deal with all this. I don't blame you for thinking about taking up something less ... Drama producing.. I am there myself. Horses are a money drain.

It's certainly dangerous for Bombay to not be able to travel. I can't imagine how he did this to himself! So sorry, I hope things brighten up!

Caitlin said...

Wow, that is definitely a nasty looking injury and your neighbors never cease to amaze me in your postings. I wish I had some advise to handle either but all I can say I hope something gives and things turn out alright.

I wish I lived near you, I'd go riding with you. I have some people I ride with on occasion but my main riding companion is out of commission after a nasty, femur cracking kick so I'm basically going out and riding alone most days too. The alternative is to ride around the neighborhood and get nasty looks and comments from non-horse people or to ride in circles around the pasture. No fun.

Its going to sound really dorky and I haven't tried it yet myself but on the ACTHA website they have a community/listing of local riders looking for riding companions. Maybe you could find one there?

fernvalley01 said...

I am not sure what to say here other that so send you a ginormous hug! and tell you if I was closer I would be right there to help . that said I cannot so I will leave it there , Know that I am thinking of you and when you have more time and less stress I do have a couple of thoughts about Bobay and the current trailer that might or might not help.

Jame said...

I know this sucks supreme, Nuzz. I've been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to find some pearl of wisdom or magic wand or easy button....but I can't find one on craigslist :(
Similar to this in a way toned down kind of way, when I was heavily pregnant (think can't see feet kind of big) our big 1 ton chub a lub of a draft horse Bobby got an abbcess. on the bottom of his hoof...in the one foot he hated people trying to pick up. Ever tried to make a draft horse pick up his foot? I don't recommend it. Both Tristan & I were working full time, & he needed his dressing changed 3 times a day, plus his foot soaked in Epsom salts& drained twice a day. Bonus, none of the local tack shops had a medicine boot in his size, so we did it the old fashioned way-diapers & duct tape! For two weeks it was a three time a day nightmare, trying to keep that thing clean.
Before you give up horse ownership entirely, I recommend a draft or cross....yeah they are bigger, but they are calm & pretty easy going & very easy to most bombproof, plus they tend to chill out any horse around them :)

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Gosh, I'm so sorry about Bombay! He's going to be really swollen and stiff in the next few days.

I have the same problems- 1. no one to ride with and 2. trailering issues.

I tried loading Scout in my stock trailer and he sat back on the bungee lead and fell out of the trailer. I haven't trailered him since. Annie, I paid a trainer to teach her to load but she doesn't tie and I don't want to take her anywhere to ride alone.

I always assumed that a slant load would solve all my problems; I just can't afford one. Also, my big truck needs repairs.

lytha said...

i'm so sorry this keeps happening with bombay. i understand how you feel and i'd probably have the exact same reaction. your options are limited because he isn't just exhibiting bad behavior, he's injuring himself so you risk killing him by trying to work through it. i'd say put him with another horse but then he might injure lostine too. if i were you i'd be afraid to send him to a trainer too: ( (although a trainer might be able to tell you if he prefers straight or stock trailers)

it's especially frustating because you've trained bombay recently to load easily.

i had a three horse slant that i removed the dividers and let the horses ride loose. i honestly don't know if the horses preferred it. but like you said, you don't know if that would help and you don't have a lot of horsie friends to help you out.

i've seen some very unlikely things happen in trailers (horse getting its feet caught under the tack room wall!) but this is up there. i'd be tempted to report faulty workmanship to the manufacturer but i don't really know what bombay did to get those mats down.

i like your idea to remove the divider - it might be the simplest solution to bombay's issues.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Oh my gosh...I have never seen a horse go so ballistic when being hauled. Poor you. I think removing the center divider is a good idea if you think that having him in the slant is the problem. At least it's worth a shot.

The only horse I've ever been around was a long time ago and a trainer I worked for had a crazy reining mare who kicked non-stop. He put hock hobbles on her with kick chains. (That's just a random story BTW, I don't think that is something most people should try.)

Word verification = equis

Hmmm...

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I've done everything everyone has suggested with the exception of removing the center divider and no I don't know anyone who has a stock trailer or a straight load trailer. Bombay did survive the ride to the clinic with another horse in the trailer and loaded up on calming pellets, but I cannot put another horse in the trailer when I want to trail ride. No, I cannot pony another horse on a trail ride, because the trails are extremely narrow and I have a hard enough time controlling just one horse with all those people, dogs off leash, and wild animals around. No, I don't have anyone to ride with me. Yes, I've looked for people to ride with me constantly, and I just keep coming away with hurt feelings. My situation is different from the situations of others. One solution that may be easy for you, is very difficult for me under my circumstances. I'm just tired of all the problems and I'm not interested in solving any more. I have no time. I have no money. I have no energy left. I just want to lay low until this black cloud blows away. But I do appreciate your comments and words of support. I have a bunch of posts I put together this weekend, so I'm going to cue those up for the next week for you.

Linda said...

Horses should be fun and it doesn't sound like you're in a good place right now to be supporting a pasture ornament. Maybe you could sell him to someone with a stock trailer (which really might solve the problem) and be done with it. That story looked and sounded like my worst nightmare. You did the absolute right thing to continue on and get him home rather than unload, but I can only imagine the hell you were going through as you made that drive. I am so, so, so sorry you had that experience.

darkhorse said...

The whole situation must be so frustrating. Your words make it obvious but even then probably doesn't do it justice! Most likely, the trailering could be helped, but if you are done you are done. There should be nothing wrong with that. We don't always get exactly what we want- and must adapt. This might mean trying to find your horse another home. If this is the case it might be better to find someone in real life that is more (or still, lol) optimistic. I wouldn't assume no one would be interested in Bombay- optimism goes a LONG way after all.

Dreaming said...

You poor girl... and poor Bombay. Don't you just wish you could get into their heads to figure out just what they are thinking? I can only imagine the awful feeling you must have had when you saw that he had hurt himself so terribly.
I have just joined a MeetUp group. (http://www.meetup.com/High-Country-Horse-Lovers/) A woman fairly near me wanted to connect folks who want to ride together. She started a group using the MeetUp tool. The site does charge money to create your own group, but perhaps there is a similar group already set up near you. I'm a member of another group, through MeetUp, that is just a social group. That group charges a nominal fee each year to help pay for the cost of the site. Any extra funds are used at an annual party. So... maybe there is a way to find others to ride with.
Hugs to you. Loving pats to Bombay.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I hear ya NM...You know, last year when I was having so many problems with Moon running barrels? I quit going. My mom has always reinforced the 'You can't force it' theory. It wasn't any fun for me and it wasn't any fun for Moon.

You have so much on your plate right now and one of the things (the horses) you would like to give you some peace and relaxation is not. It's always a frustrating situation because even if you can't do anything with your horses, they still cost money and take up time.

While I would hate to see you get out of horses completely, I wonder if you picked just one horse to keep and devoted your time to just that one, if you wouldn't get more fulfillment?

I have very little going on in my life except the horses and I still find that I can only really keep up with 3 the way it takes to really make progress.

Hahaha-And I just realized I said, 'The only horse I have been around...' What I meant was 'The only hauling problem horse...' I'm pretty sure you picked up on what I meant though. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I know you are likely sick of suggestions, but I'm gonna trow one more out tomyou anyway. I would discuss Bombay's problem with the trainer you have G with and see what she has to offer. She probably has more mtrailers, more experience, more skilled help, etc.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Wow. That's a serious issue and I agree with Mikey. He needs to get back in the trailer and soon. The longer you wait, the worse it gets. They are creatures of habit.

I once had a horse who wouldn't load. Trailering him could be an all out battle, which was a royal PITA. He finally would load, for me, in a stock trailer and knowing he better get his butt IN. Once inside he would turn around and face backwards. I didn't care as long as he was IN the trailer.

Even if it takes loading him up on calming pellets or injecting him with something stronger- dope him up into lala land if it helps and drive him around. He will be too loopy to do anything to hurt himself and you will have gotten in a trailer session with fewer to no problems. Then start backing off on the amounts of loopy land drugs as he starts to rack up the miles.

As for the stock trailer, straight load comments- if the divider swings open and there is a way to secure it that way- it's worth a try. Cheapest option you have right now to find out if this is the answer. Then if you have to go that route- you know it will work, can sell your trailer to pay for a stock or stock combo and most likely walk away with a little left over. If it is a three horse, try loading him in the middle slot. Less to bang himself up on or into when he goes to town freaking out.

I too would help if I were closer. Otherwise, when you do finally get to move, sounds like the house will come with one horse for the buyer.

TeresaA said...

I have no words of wisdom. Just a 'man that is awful' and 'I feel your frustration and wish I could do something for you'.

Reddunappy said...

Ah geez Nuzz Muzz, not again!!

I have a four horse slant, I love it! when I haul only one horse I always put them in the second stall, and not up against the wall. The one on the wall always scrambles around corners, or stops. Visable by the paint gone on the front wall.

I understand your frustration!
Sheesh I would probably feel the same way!!!

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, gosh, Nuzz! Maybe you need a break! Do you have some place you could go for a couple of days just to unwind? I have no advice for your horses, but I know and understand the stress you are dealing with from the loss of your mother...I went through that, too. I was her primary caregiver and it nearly cost me my marriage...take some time for yourself, get outta town...we'll be over at Mammoth Lakes for 5 days if you want to come visit!

appydoesdressage said...

I am very sorry you are having these issues, poor Bombay and to have him keep putting you thorough all of this drama. Agree with a previous poster, have you talked to the trainer that G is at? Most likely the barn has multiple trailers and a lot of people (at barns I have been at) will let you borrow the trailer for, say, $20 a day.
I also fully agree he should be drugged up, either with some Ace or Calm and Cool or similar and put on a trailer asap. Can you take a digital camera and tape it in the trailer when you start down the road to see what he is doing? That way you won't be "in" the trailer but will be able to see what is going on? Bombay is doing "something" and it may help to see what "it" is. Good luck and hope it gets better soon!

Laura said...

Poor Bombay- he really did a number on himself and your trailer. I'm so sorry that this has happened to you again. Keep us updated on how he is doing with his injuries. I wish I was close by - I would come over and help you out - bring you lunch or help with the chores or something...but alas, you just have my sympathies at all that has been troubling you over the past few months.