Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Pet Psychic Experience

My husband and I drove over an hour to the big city to see a TV show being recorded for a pet psychic.  She's not just a pet psychic, but a human psychic too.  I don't think I'm going to mention her name here, because it might ruin her career.  I think she is genuine, but I also think that most people would find her services to be disappointing.

First off, the show was a combination of a hostess interviewing the psychic, short film strips showing the psychic visiting people in their homes and answering questions about their pet or disabled child, and an occasional question from the audience.  My husband and I noticed a suspicious group of people sitting front and center all dressed up like they were ready to be on TV.  We figured they were involved in rehearsals of the show and would get called up to ask questions that the psychic already knew the answers to.  We were right about that.  It was so obvious, because with the exception of my husband and myself who dressed up for the first date we've had in probably 12 years, everyone else in the audience were dressed like slobs.  They were just there for their entertainment -- not with the anticipation of being on TV.

Before the show, the hostess asked for a raise of hands from people who wanted to ask the psychic a question.  Half the audience raised their hands.  The hostess walked around to the first six people, writing down their names and their questions on 3x5 cards, and then said she couldn't take anymore questions, but that the psychic would offer half an hour of her time after the show to answer more questions.

I found that there was very little psychic phenomena taking place.  The psychic asked a lot of questions and looked the audience member over from head to toe until she could make an educated guess about the answer to their question.  She'd give a brief answer and then go into a mini-counseling session in which she would give advice on what they can do to improve the situation.

For instance, one woman had a question about a deceased relative, and the psychic's answer was always that the relative is fine and loves the person, but they have to do something to improve their lives.  So, I saw the psychic looking at this ladies' body.  The lady was probably a couple of hundred pounds overweight, so the psychic told her that her relative wants her to cut out the bad habits.  The lady's friend looked confused and said, "She doesn't drink or smoke."  The psychic said, "She needs to exercise and watch her diet.  She's eating stuff that's bad for her."  No duh.

Another person wanted to know if she was going to ever get to move to Arizona.  I almost burst out laughing, because I realized that I'm not the only one who is sick of living in Nevada.  The psychic never said yes or no to the question.  She just told the woman to "poop or get off the pot" -- the very same advice many of my readers have given me when I get frustrated with my neighborhood.

She almost slipped up when someone asked where her father left his will.  She said, "I'm thinking it's in a safe deposit box."  (That's were most people are advised to keep their wills.)  The woman then said something about that her father died years ago and she still hasn't found it.  Obviously, if she had control of her father's mail, she'd be getting his bank statements and see that he has a safe deposit box.  So, the psychic changed her tune slightly and said that it's probably been cleaned out and was overlooked as being something unimportant.  She advised her to go through all of his papers again.

The psychic did slip up when a woman asked about whether she would keep or sell her house and when.  The psychic went into all this advice on how she can improve her house to sell it, and then the woman said, "No, I want to keep it, but I may lose it."  Assumptions make an ass out of u and me, but they really can ruin a psychic's reputation.

Most of the audience members made the mistake of giving too much information.  Many of them asked about sick dogs and cats and wanted to know if they were going to die.  In each case the psychic said that if they take them to the vet, they'll probably live.  (Note that she rarely gave a definite response like it will or won't live past its current condition.)  She liked to be positive, because she believed strongly in the idea that you attract what you put your energy into.  She recommended seeing the movie "The Secret" a couple of times, so that gives you an idea about her philosophy. 

I noticed that when someone did not give her much information or have a specific question to ask, she would preface what she said with, "All I'm getting is..."  It was usually one piece of information that was common sense, such as that most cats like to play with toys, and she'd repeat it over and over in different ways to make it sound like she was coming up with a lot of stuff. 

My husband pointed out that it's easy to be a psychic to animals that can't speak, disabled people who can't speak, and people who are dead, because no one can disprove that they didn't actually say what the psychic said they said.  In one film strip, the psychic was talking to a little girl with a disorder that affected her ability to speak, and I could hear the girl trying to protest, saying no, the psychic was wrong in what she was saying, but the psychic just talked right over her and ignored her protests.  She then quickly changed the subject to how smart the little girl was, and then the girl began nodding and saying yes.  If you compliment a person, they will usually agree with you.

So, after the show, I approached the psychic to ask her a question that she shouldn't be able to figure out the answer to just based on looking at my body language and asking questions.  Originally, I was going to ask her what my mother intended me to do regarding my brother's care, but I noticed that everyone who had a question along the lines of wanting to know what a deceased relative wants got the same answer:  "She's happy on the other side now, and she really doesn't care.  Do what makes you happy."

So, I waited in line and listened while she offered condolences, complimented everyone and assured them that their lost loved ones and pets were fine on the other side, even saying that some were already reincarnated into someone else.  I stepped forward and said, "Can you get some information on how my mother died?"

The woman took me off guard by snapping angrily at me and saying, "I don't like to answer questions like that!  If the police are still investigating or there is a lawsuit involved, then I have to stay out of it!"

I shook my head to let her know that wasn't the case, but I didn't want to specify anything.  She sighed in frustration and said angrily, "Okay, give me her first name!"  I gave it.  "How old was she when she died?"  I hesitated to answer that question, because that would most likely narrow down that she died from natural causes, but she wouldn't answer until I told her, so I said she was 78.  She then wanted to know where she died.  She closed her eyes as if concentrating or visualizing, and then asked for her first name again.  I realized that I was probably messing her up, because I was using her full first name and not the shorter name that everyone called her.

She reached up to the left side of her head and said, "I'm getting a brain aneurysm or stroke.  At first I went to the heart, but then said no, and moved up to the brain."

She then glared at me, as if angry that I asked that question.  She didn't offer her condolences, try to assure me that my mother is okay or anything along those lines like she did with the other audience members.  I guessed that she knew I was a skeptic and she just wanted me to go away.  So, I told her that makes sense and I thanked her and left. 

My personal theory regarding my mother's death is that the medication she was taking to control her atrial fibrillation of her heart caused a blood clot in her brain.  During the autopsy, the coroner looked at her heart and saw evidence of heart disease, but not a heart attack.  He did not look at her brain.  His goal was not to find out the exact cause, but to narrow down whether it was suicide, homicide, or natural causes, because that affects how her estate can be settled.  He found evidence of other health issues in her body, but none of them could be determined as the definite cause of her death.

So, I was a little impressed that she narrowed it down to both the heart and the brain since I suspect both were involved, whether directly or indirectly, but at the same time most people over the age of 75 do die from strokes or heart attacks.  I'll have to see more shows by this lady before I'll be totally convinced that she's actually communicating with those who can't communicate.  I have no doubt that she's sensitive, but I do think that she uses logic more than anything supernatural to come up with her information. 

4 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Interesting, I think many people are truly intuitive, but only very few are truly psychic, and I suspect those that are are not charging admission to thier "show"

Cut-N-Jump said...

I have found a lot of the psychic's generally go on common sense and try to persuade the 'client' into telling them more than they actually 'know'. Very few of them are any good if they are to be considered good at all.

I had one chase me down to get me to ask my free question. Everything she picked up on was negative. I can't for the life of me imagine why???

Silvia Brown said it best in one of her books. They usually go by the name Madame with a name starting with the letter Z, which seems to add some level of mystery to things. At least they got the Madame part right, because both the phony psychic and the prostitutes screw you for the money.

Linda said...

My sister has her very own pet psychic. She uses her so often they are now close friends, too. On one of her first visits she guessed that my Brother-in-law's dog had been shot years before (he brought her a picture and asked what happened to him). Of course, he thought her answer was crazy (that's not a normal thing a dog dies from). When he got home he related it to everyone and someone in the group knew how that dog had died but had been sworn to secrecy. That person opened up and confessed that yes, it had been SHOT!! (Which is a sad story too long to get into.) On another occasion BIL and sister found a stray lab and took it to the same lady. The dog looked perfectly healthy. She told them about the owner and she told them that when they found the owner to tell him the dog had severe cancer throughout its body. They did find the owner and were embarassed to tell him that, but did. He took it to the vet and, indeed, it did have cancer spread throughout its body. He was so thankful to my BIL and sister that he gave them free breeding rights to his other male and the lab I have today is from that litter. So, long story short (too late for that) I think pet psychics can be on sometimes and off at other times, but it's very hard to discount that kind of accuracy.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Linda - Those are the types of examples I expected to see at this lady's show, but I didn't see one example that was uncanny.