Saturday, June 18, 2011

Something's Missing

Something's missing. Do you see it?

What about now?

Bombay is telling me that I drove off with something in that trailer and came back without it.

Yup. Gabbrielle is now away at summer camp with her new trainer. Lostine said she will just hang out in her stall and wait for Gabbrielle to come back.

It's going to be a long wait, Lostine. She'll be there at least a month, probably more.

The equestrian facility is beautiful and Gabbrielle got her own pasture for the first few days until they sort out which horses in the adjacent pastures she gets along with. There were horses of all breeds at the facility and they have an indoor dressage arena. The trainer said I could visit any time, and could set up a time in advance to watch her ride Gabbrielle. That's something trainers of the past have never let me do. I'll get pictures next time I visit.

I can tell that K, the trainer, is very sensitive to people's feelings. I never said anything to her, but I was worried that she might not be willing to train Arabians, because I've heard some trash talk about my breed around the valley. Anyway, almost as if she knew what I was thinking, she led me to a stall, opened the window, and out popped the head of a gorgeous bay Arabian mare. She said, "This is my horse."

I was happy to know that with all of her experience working with every horse breed under the sun that she chose to own an Arab. I wish I had brought my camera, because Gabbrielle was prancing around in the pasture in a way I'd never seen her move before. I could almost hear her telling all the other horses, "I'm hot. I'm sexy. I'm a champion. I'm a princess. Check me out."

K saw my photography business sign on the side of my truck and asked about it.  She then asked if I have a wide-angle lens, because she wants a picture of all her horses and riders lined up in front a mirror that extends the width of the indoor arena.  It would be a tricky photograph in the dark.  A flash would reflect off the mirror.  Unfortunately, I don't have a wide-angle lens, but it will be the first thing I purchase once I get my mother's estate settled.  Hopefully, by then the job will still be available.

10 comments:

Mikey said...

So glad you found a great trainer! Sounds like the PERFECT place and I know you'll go by and visit a bunch. I can't wait to see how things go!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds like a nice place. I'll bet she comes back a different horse. Wondering if after her training is done the trainer will let you ride in lessons with her. That would be awesome and it would let you know how she worked with Gabrielle and what you should continue to do with her. Good luck.

fernvalley01 said...

Sounds like a great fit! So pleased for you

Dreaming said...

I can't wait to hear about Gabbrielle's progress. I think any trainer worth anything should invite visits. The trainer who worked with Pippin insisted that I come ride with him when he figured he had about a week left. He wanted to have time to address any issues I noticed on that ride.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like you picked the right trainer. It would certainly be good to watch your horse being trained. That way you can see what aids she uses and how Gabbrielle reacts to her.

Hope it works out well.

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

That's wonderful. I hope the experience is good for you and for Gabrielle.

It took me forever to find a trainer who would start horses the way I wanted them started, but he has been worth his weight and it is s.u.c.h a relief to have them off doing something.

Jeni said...

That's great NuzzMuzz !!

lytha said...

make us proud, gabbrielle!!

Cheryl Ann said...

I watched my trainer yesterday and she was very calm and relaxed with Sunni, Quad, and Gigondas. She's working with two Arabs right now and has 1 thoroughbred herself. I think that being comfortable with your trainer is a big relief for you, and for me, too! :-) Oh, and I'm now ONLY using the manual settings on my camera, after our 9 day vacation to the eastern Sierra. We had lunch in Bridgeport one day and drove out to Bodie (HOT AND DRY!!!)...I'm comfortable adjusting them as needed (FINALLY!!!!)

achieve1dream said...

That is fantastic! The trainer sounds great. I can't wait to see pictures. Keep us updated pretty please.