Friday, June 10, 2011

Straight Jacket, Please

After another full day of filling in forms and arguing with impossible people over the phone (in addition to doing several loads of laundry and listening to everyone else's problems), I decided to take a break and mellow out by grooming the horses.  Heck, I might even make time to saddle up for a ride.

So, I walked outside feeling good because I was finally going to get some quality time with my poor, neglected four-legged creatures, and the first thing I noticed was that the three goats next to my barn have multiplied to five.  One of the goats had two babies.  Yes, they are cute, but now I'm really worried about the welfare of these animals because there are five goats and two rabbits in a tiny 10x10 foot pen, and the owners were supposed to come pick them up from my neighbors' house weeks ago.  Did they dump them?  It's probably none of my business, but I really would like my space, peace, quiet and privacy returned to me one of these days.  The goats bleat loudly when they see me and just add to the privacy problem by setting off an alarm that signals to my nosy neighbors that I've come outside for them to spy on.

The next thing I noticed was that Bombay was standing over the water trough and not eating.  I put a halter on him and tried to lead him to the grooming area only to find that I had a three-legged horse!  Obviously, Gabbrielle had kicked him when he tried to get past her to get a drink from the water trough and for the first time she actually connected with one of his hind legs.  She is in the dog house and may find herself permanently separated from the herd for now on.  I don't tolerate that kind of crap from horses.  Horses are not allowed to hurt other horses or people.

I led Bombay as he hopped to his stall.  I filled his water trough, gave him the last dosage of Bute, and PATOOEY!  He instantly spit it out on the ground.  Now what to do?  It's the end of the business day on a Friday, of course, which means I'll have to pay extra to get a vet out here.  Actually, in this case I'd probably have to somehow load the poor guy into the trailer, so that they can do x-rays at the clinic during off hours.  I decided to keep an eye on the leg through the weekend and only call if it's a definite emergency.  I don't see any swelling.  Bombay just won't put any weight on it.  I'm hoping he is just being a big baby over the stinging of being kicked.  I got kicked and it hurt for days, but the bruise healed and no bones were broken.  Maybe that's what he's experiencing.

In the meantime, Bombay is on stall rest, Gabbrielle is in detention in the back pen, and Lostine got her grooming, but not without first taking a dump on me while I was brushing her tail.  When it rains, it poops.

I'm so tired of having to face serious problems every time I turn around.  I keep wondering when someone is going to take care of me instead of me having to take care of everyone else.  Of course, this is the first sunny, warm weekend we've had in recent history and I'm going to spend it doctoring a lame horse instead of riding.  Every day I keep telling myself, "If I can just get past this, better things will be in store for me on the other side..." and they never are.

When my husband got home from work he said that while I was in Arizona the kid that the lady next door babysits knocked on our door and asked my husband if he saw a rabbit go by.  My husband said, "Let me guess.  Was it black one?"  The kid said yes.  My husband said, "How did it get out?"  The kid said the goat knocked down the fence and our neighbor told the kid to run around the neighborhood to look for it.  My husband freaked and told the kid not to go out into the road alone, and he walked the kid back to our neighbor's house before the kid got hurt.  He then assured the kid that the rabbit would come back when it got hungry. 

Then, not even a few minutes after my husband told me that story, I looked out the window and saw that kid poking a goat through the fence with a stick and throwing rocks at it.  The goat kept charging the kid through the fence, and was in the process of knocking the fence down again with its horns.  Arrrrrrgh!  Of course, my neighbor, who is responsible for watching both the kid and the goats was nowhere to be seen.  I ran for the door to go yell at the kid, but he skipped off into the house by the time I got there.  Now I know where all those rocks and sticks are coming from that I keep finding in my horse paddock.

One of these days I'm going to really lose it with these stupid neighbors.  I've already been contemplating reporting them to animal control.  They are obviously only interested in the money they make from boarding horses, goats and rabbits and from baby sitting kids.

5 comments:

Mikey said...

Good LORD. Call AC already for that. That kid is for one torturing those animals (get video if you can before you call em) and he's gonna get hurt real good. Way to make an animal aggressive.
Hope your horse gets better soon. Sigh. I know how you feel, and I wonder when you'll get a break. Recently I'd had enough, had to run to the store, so while there I bought a 6 pack of Bud Lime (never tried it, I'm not much of a drinker) and took the LONG way home on the back roads. Took about 1.5 hrs, during which my child called me 3 times and Wade called twice. I was out there talking to myself saying "For f*cks sake, people. Can you live w/o me for ONE HOUR!!?"
The answer is no. And I do wonder how they'll all survive w/o us. It's just ENOUGH ALREADY sometimes, ya know?
When you're done with the straight jacket, send it my way.

Jame said...

Do you ever read the FuglyHorse blog? She's got really good advice of how to report people to AC...& if AC does nothing, how to take your neighbors to the media, have them do a segment on the "Worse Neighbors Ever". Being raised by my parents, who made me do pushups in public when I was a brat (in the middle of Costco once, no less!) I know this: public humiliation works!

Linda said...

I hope Bombay is going to be okay. I hate dealing with the uncertainty of horse injuries, but I think you're doing the right thing to just watch it for a while. "When it rains it Poops" sounds like a good title for your next book.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'd not only call Animal Control, but the Livestock Board and Child Protective Services.

We had a case reported to the horse rescue a few months ago, of a grandmother who had custody of her grandson and was being seriously neglectful of him....and her animals.

Her house and property was covered in garbage and dangerous rusty equipment and they had a pack of un-neutered/spayed dogs roaming around harassing the livestock and anyone who tried to pass by their house.
Apparently the grandmother also had horses...or should I say, got horses for her grandson....who is only 12 years old. He's never had a riding lesson and has no training on how to handle a horse.

His first horse, a shetland pony, was attacked by their feral pack of loose dogs, and when the pony fell down, the dogs gorged on and pulled out the poor pony's anus and bowels. The second horse, a QH apparently died of malnutrition and starvation because it was an older horse in it's late 20's and it's teeth were just nubs and couldn't process the brown, tough straw that the grandmother's grandson was feeding the horses and goats.

Both of those horses' bodies were left to decompose and rot where they fell and noone came to take them away or bury them.

The grandson had to walk past that carnage every day to feed and water the animals.
There were sticks and a t-post sticking out of one of the horses, where the grandson must have been 'playing' with the maggot-filled carcasses. bleh!

A couple of their goats were found with missing eyes and had hay twine tied around their horns and legs, suspected of being abused by the grandson.

And the horse that we were called out on was an untrained 3 year old stallion that had never been haltered. A month earlier, the grandmother told the grandson to lasso the horse and put it in the corral because someone was supposed to come over to possibly buy the horse (yeah right), so the boy managed to do that, but the potential buyers never came, and the grandmother never checked on the horse and the boy never removed the rope...and well, the horse stepped on that lasso enough that it became a noose that dug into the horses neck and became embedded deep.

So between the rotting horse corpses, the terrorized goats, the un-handled, feral horse that had to be put down because of the embedded rope...it was a nightmare.

Sounds like your neighbors might be related to that neglectful, abusive, terrible grandmother and her unsupervised, animal abusing, out of control grandson(the next Jeffrey Dahmer, perhaps?)....

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Poor Bombay! I'm hurrying off the read your other posts to find an update.

I'm with the others. As soon as you can get video proof please report them. It is bull what they do to you and the animals. Just ask the people you report to not to tell them who did it (the cops did that for me when I reported the guy on the four wheeler). Then if she asks you act innocent. Good luck!