Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Stills: The Birds and the Bees

I've been really bad about keeping up the Sunday Stills lately. I spend the majority of my days at my desk dealing with a seemingly endless array of paperwork, so I don't get out much with my camera. This upcoming week is already looking crazy. Everything I need to do seems to get scheduled at the exact same time, so I've already had to cancel some plans.

I did remember that I just happened to get a picture of a Magpie on the fence last week, so I'll include that, even though I just had my point and shoot and shook the camera when I pressed the shutter release. Magpies are the most prominent birds around the house. Scrappy the dog hates them and chases them out of his yard. The babies can get quite loud calling out to their mothers, and the mothers and fathers are both very aggressive in protecting their babies.

We also have had an influx of Doves this year. I have no idea where they came from, because we've never had them around in years past. I find their incessant cooing to be maddening. I guess their presence means we have less feral cats around now.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I hate magpies too, so loud!

Ms Martyr said...

I was just watching a magpie on my deck. His feathers are a mess so I assume he's being picked on by other birds for some reason. One of my dogs will chase them and even knows the word "magpie" and will start parking when he hears it. Similar sounding words, i.e., "bagpipe" will also get him going.
I know what you mean about doves cooing. We don't have any here but they used to wake me when I'd visit at my parents' home. They never shut up.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It's a good shot anyway. Love the long tail.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The first Magpie I have seen today:)

Michelle said...

Nice to see you again! I've been kind of bad myself lately...=(

Ed said...

Nice shot of the magpie, we don't see too many of them in the south..:-)

achieve1dream said...

That magpie is so pretty. I've never seen one in person before.

I like the sound doves make. It's soothing. Of course we don't have tons and tons of them. I'm sure if there were more it might get more annoying. Around here the blue jays like to be loud mouths. :) I'll take the sounds of nature over vehicles or dogs barking though.