Sunday, June 12, 2011

Wonderful Sunday

I was hoping my annoying neighbors would actually go to church today.  They stopped going when the weather got bad.  They've been in my space way too much lately.  After having my neighbors and their guests standing at the fence and watching me trailer my horse off for a trail ride, and then coming out to watch me again when I returned from my trail ride, I looked out my window and saw all four of my neighbors' house guests standing in my driveway talking to a lady on horseback, who was also standing in my driveway on her horse like it was a public road or something.  Swear to God.  They were standing right next to my "PRIVATE DRIVE - PLEASE STAY OUT" and "NO TRESPASSING" signs.  I guess since my neighbor invited them into the neighborhood, they must think those signs don't apply to them.  When I appeared in the kitchen window to wash my hands, they all turned and stared at me.  I felt as if my home had been invaded by tourists.

Then this morning I walked outside before 8:00 AM in my pajamas to feed the horses, and the neighbors' guests were out there loading junk into the trunk of their car.  I bent over to pick up a flake of hay and heard one of them say, "Hey!  Look at that lady.  She's wearing pajamas!"  Then they all proceeded to burst out laughing.

Ummmm.  I was on my private property -- a space that would be considered my backyard.  Also, it was ridiculously early in the morning on a Sunday.  What am I supposed to do?  Make the horses wait an hour to eat while I take a shower, get dressed and put on make-up just in case the neighbor's guests are outside looking into my backyard?

Some readers have asked me if I'm considering moving.  Of course I am.  That's all I think about day and night.  However, my husband does not want to move.  If I can't convince him that moving is for the best, I'll be put into a position in which I might have to choose between sacrificing my peace, quiet, privacy and happiness for my marriage or vice versa.  You wouldn't want to have to make a choice like that, would you?  I'm not about to let some crappy neighbors ruin my marriage too.  They've ruined just about everything else in my life.

Also, two other things have to happen before I could move.  #1) I have to finish settling my mother's estate.  Now, some of you may think why can't I settle her estate after I move.  Well, I lost my job and was in the process of looking for a new job when my mother passed away.  Now I am paying off her debts with my husband's income and dealing with all her bills and paperwork is a full time job in itself which will pay someday, but first I have to pay off her debts, sell her house, and get a certified death certificate.  Under the circumstances, no bank would give me a loan to buy a house.  I would need time to be able to get a job just so I could pay rent for a house.

#2) The house we currently live in has some serious problems and is not marketable.  We will have to invest tens of thousands of dollars into making repairs before putting it up for sale.  I've considered selling it "As Is", but I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy it in this condition.  We have one room of our house that is literally falling into a sinkhole.  The foundation has cracked and water comes up from the ground through the cracks and soaks the carpet.  There is also black mold growing in the walls, which I spend a lot of time killing through various methods.  My area is primarily a retirement community because there are no jobs, and retirees want move-in ready houses only.  Our house is not only a fixer-upper, but it's a health hazard.

Keep in mind that I have to move everything out of my mother's house, probably by myself.  Moving is ranked up there as one of the most stressful activities one can experience in a lifetime along with the death of a loved one.  I'm already getting a double-whammy.  I'm always astounded when people make it sound so easy.  "Just move."  I'll have to start lifting weights just to get the strength to move stuff.  Either that or I'll have to get a job so I can pay someone else to do it.

Fortunately for me, the annoying neighbors did go to church, so I was able to clean out all the water troughs, clean all the manure out of the stalls and the paddocks, groom and ride a horse without interference.  I found my neighbors' missing rabbit.

It took up residence under one of their junk vehicles that sits in their front yard with its hood up 24/7. I also found a bunch of large rocks and pieces of brick that were thrown in my horse paddock by the little turd next door. I chucked them all back into their yard and am definitely going to take up a post with my camera next time the little sociopath is around. I've also got animal control on speed dial since I work there.

While cleaning the paddock I noticed that these neighbors still have California plates on all of their trailers with no registration stickers. In Nevada we are required to have Nevada license plates and pay annual registration fees for our trailers. I've got one more thing I can report these neighbors for, because they do use the trailers and they've been unregistered for at least 5 years.

Today was Bombay's day for some special attention.

We worked on going from whoa to jog to whoa without any steps in between. No walking was the rule. He did really well in one direction, but his whoa was too slow in the other direction, so I had to back him up after he stopped to return him to the spot where I asked him to stop. I could tell he was getting bored and distracted with the repetition, so I took him for a spin around the paddock, doing a little dressage around obstacles. He seemed to enjoy that. This was his refresher course. Now I feel comfortable taking him off the property. I just need enough uninterrupted time time wrap all of his legs really well before putting him in the trailer.

Gabbrielle is next on my list. She needs to be groomed and retrained. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get many days like today in which I had no neighbors around for some time. I'm kind of in desperation mode with her now and am considering shipping her off for training elsewhere even though my goal was to fully train her myself. It's just that she's in this in-between phase in which I've given her a lot of ground work and trained her under saddle, but she's still too green and excitable to ride off the property, so I can only work with her on my property in the round pen when the neighborhood is quiet and without distractions... which is a rare Sunday morning.  Then once I know those basic cues are second nature to her, I'll trailer her out like I do with the older horses.

5 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, you got a ride in at home and a trail ride the day before, that sounds like a pretty good weekend.

Breathe said...

Didn't realize your husband was reluctant to move. That makes it harder. I guess since he doesn't work with the horses he doesn't have the same level of neighbor interactions.

It is stressful to move. I still hope you can once things settle.

Bombay looks great!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bombay is looking great! And I'm glad you're finding a few rare moments to spend working with your horses.

I hope you don't think poorly of me for encouraging you to move. I just wish you didn't have to deal with such an invasion of your privacy that causes you so much stress every day. And I had no idea your house was such a danger zone. When I visited you it seemed like a very nice, tidy house. You obviously take good care of it, because the issues you wrote about are not obviously apparent.

But I think my background as a military brat causes me not to see moving as any kind of hindrance or difficulty.

Moving, in my mind, is like going to the dentist....not fun, sometimes a bit painful, but the worst part of it doesn't last forever, and your mouth is much better for it afterwards.

I've never lived anywhere in my life for more than 7 years. Both of my parents were in the Navy and when they were divorced I was bounced around from family member to family member. And when I went to go live with my Dad and Stepmom, they kept the same 'gypsy' mentality and we usually moved every 4-7 years.

Even my husband, whose Dad also made him a mobile military brat, through the Air Force, has a long history of moving every few years. So I guess I'm lucky in that aspect that packing up and moving to some new digs, isn't something he's afraid of doing.
In our 21 years of marriage, we've never stayed deeply rooted anyplace for more than 7 years. We'll have been in this house for 4 years in August and I keep saying that I'd like to remain here until the boys are in college which should be in 4-5 years. So, maybe we'll still be here in 8 years....maybe?...maybe not?

We're like tumbleweeds. We like to travel, explore and go wherever the wind carries us. :)

~Lisa

JanLou said...

I'm probably stating the obvious and haven't followed your blog as long or as regularly as some of the others but have you actually asked your neighbours straight out face to face if they could try and avoid being too close to the fence etc when you are training the horse etc. and explaining the problems it causes. There is a chance they are just fascinated by the horses if they dont have their own and dont realise what a nuisance they are being. Although you probably tried this ages ago if you are that pissed off with them.

achieve1dream said...

Yay! Another ride. That's awesome. I'm glad the weather is finally cooperating.

It sounds like Gabrielle is at the stage where she just needs experience. Can you pony her on the local trails? Lostine seemed to do really well or is she too spooky to be a good role model? I just don't like the idea of sending horses off for training because of the horror stories I've heard and it's expensive. Good luck finding a solution!