Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Little Seepage

I've been washing Bombay's wounds, squirting them with antiseptic and spraying them with AluSpray each day, but today I stopped the AluSpray and rubbed some Neosporin antibacterial gel on them.  Some hard scar tissue is starting to form, so I wanted to soften it up because once the hard stuff breaks, he starts bleeding again.  Today some green pus started seeping out of the bottom of his biggest wound.  He's walking normal, but it was obviously still sensitive when I touched it.  He picked up his leg and I was worried if I touched the wrong spot he might try to kick me.  The stitches are supposed to be removed in a week.  I suspect Bombay will have to be sedated for that job.  Personality-wise, he's still the joker he's always been.  He hassled me the whole time I tried to clean the paddock this evening.

I received a bill for $524 in the mail for this accident.  That almost cost as much as Gabbrielle's month of training.  I really couldn't afford either right now, but I had chosen to go ahead with Gabbrielle's training simply because I needed to feel like something was getting done this year.  I've had so many setbacks and discouragements that I just wanted to feel like progress was being made in one small area of my life.  Wouldn't you know it... as soon as I part with the money to train her, Bombay runs up a huge vet bill.  I have no idea what the bill will be for the trailer repairs and just thinking about it makes me nauseous.  I worry about money a lot because I know what it is like to be without it, and life sure is easier when you do have money. 

I'm going through a phase right now in which I'm questioning whether it's all worth it.  Maybe my family would be better off if we didn't have all these unexpected horse-related bills.  Whenever I tell non-horse people about my horse problems they always have to say, "Well, you wouldn't have those problems if you didn't have horses."

It bothers a lot of people in my circle that I do own horses.  It's sort of a sore spot with them, so I have to train myself not to talk about the horses around them lest I set myself up for snotty retorts.  I suspect their annoyance is stemming from envy.  A lot of people believe that only the super rich own horses.  (HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!)  I think they are jealous in the same way that one might be jealous of someone who drives a nice car.

I didn't question owning horses when I was employed, but now that I'm stuck in a position in which I work every day, but without a paycheck, and have no time to get a paying job, I worry.  But I'm sure it will all work out.  It always does. 

Almost as if the universe didn't think I had enough bad luck, I realized today that my Canon PowerShot XS10IS camera was missing.  I asked my husband if he or my son borrowed it, but they didn't.  I know I had it with me when I did the photo shoot using my Nikon camera at the animal shelter last Monday.  I had to think back to what car I drove.  I opened the trunk and there it was, hot as an open flame.  Somehow its case had popped open and the camera had rolled out in the trunk of the car.  It sat there in hundred plus degree heat all week.

I tested it out and it doesn't take pictures every time I press the shutter release.  It's also sluggish in starting up and auto focusing.  I'm annoyed to say the least.  Did I really need this?  Was it really necessary?  Is there some kind of lesson I'm supposed to be learning from all this loss I've been experiencing?  I mean, it's not like I was robbing a bank when the camera fell out.  I was volunteering my time to help find homes for homeless pets.  It's true that no good deed goes unpunished.

Oh yes, it could have been worse.  It can always be worse.  But let's not discuss that, because once you mention worse possibilities, you create them.  I'm trying really hard to keep my eye on the prizes in life and put blinders on to avoid acknowledging the existence of bad stuff, but the bad stuff keeps jumping in front of my face.  No, actually it's more like the bad stuff keeps biting my leg.

It's not even the 4th of July yet and we've already got wildfires going, probably started by idiots illegally playing with fireworks.  Every year Nevada advertises all over the place that fireworks are illegal, but some dumb jerks always have to get their rocks off by making big noises and burning down our state.  It won't surprise me if some day we burn down our entire country celebrating its independence.  Really?  Can't we think up safer traditions to show our appreciation for our freedom?

In other news, my son turned 18 this weekend!  I have no more children -- just adults who are my offspring.  He also won first place in a pole vault tournament and broke his personal record.  He's clearing the bar at 14' 9" now.  Since good things are happening for him, I'm living vicariously through him. 

7 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I am going through that 'Is it all worth it?' stage right now. I feel so depressed and lonely and wonder if having horses and being alone is better than living in town and having the opportunity to socialize with other people. Everything costs so much all the time that I don't know when I'll ever get my finances in order again.

Haha, your kids will always be your kids, they'll just be grown kids. At least, that's what mine are. And they still cost money all the time too!

It looks like Bombay is healing. I know with my surgery, for weeks (months) afterwards I would have pus pockets. The doctor said it was the body rejecting the inside stitches. It's crazy how much they charge though, isn't it?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I can totally relate to money flying out the window all at once. As you know we are a one-income family and my van is developing necessary maintenance issues all at once. Replaced the fuel filter and a worn tire this past weekend and will be replacing another tire and the battery next weekend. Then the kids have summer camps coming up this month, the propane tank is on "E" (worrying about having to take cold showers and not having hot water for dishwasher and clothes washing), the water bill has skyrocketed due to me having to water the veggie garden and fruit trees (no fruit this year due to the drought and winds, though, but I don't want them to brown out and die from lack of water) and full up the thirsty animal's water buckets due to the heat and dry winds. And I've got some horse lessons and the ACTHA ride I want to sign up for. Major seepage going on around here.


Hang in there. Once your Mother's house is sold, things will become easier.


And congrats to your son! And a bittersweet birthday for you. Congrats for raising a fine young man.
~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I just found out that my son also broke the meet record, and the meet was a part of the Junior Olympics. They had people competing from all over the west coast. Now I'm even more impressed!

Val - It's good to know that pus pockets are normal this late in the healing process. I'm sure that after all you've been through recently, you are questioning things.

Lisa - I kind of measure my level of desperation with water. If we start running out of water or our well breaks, then I know it's time to avoid spending money on anything but getting our water back. Losing hot water is still messing with one's basic needs.

Mikey said...

Congrats to your son! That's quite the accomplishment. Will we see him in future Olympics?!
Bombay looks good, it's healing up. I do understand how you feel with the horses. Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing too. I think it would be easier w/o them, but I can't imagine life w/o them. Wouldn't it hurt your heart?
Then I think of all the things I could be doing that I would like to do, ya know, like go places, lol? A beach somewhere.... sigh.. tough decisions life brings us.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Yes...Definitely congratulations to your son. VERY impressive.

Having been born into a horse family, I guess I have never contemplated life without them, but I do remember talking to people when I lived in AZ and when they found out I had 4 horses, many of them asked if I was independently wealthy. Should have seen their eyes bug out when I told them that was only a fraction of the number of horses my family owned. LOL

Twice now, my husband has turned down lucrative over-seas positions where we all could have moved with him...because I was unwilling to give up years of my horse's lives. I never thought twice about giving up Saudi Arabia, but giving up China was hard. However I have never been on the receiving end of continuously annoying neighbors that prevented me from enjoying my horses nor have I had to deal with repeated and expensive vet bills.

Sorry about your camera. I'm sure that if you didn't have so much on your mind, you wouldn't have forgotten it. Stress takes it toll on a person after awhile and you have had more than your fair share.

fernvalley01 said...

Congrats to your sone. And I hope things turn around for you soon!

achieve1dream said...

Happy Birthday to your son and congrats! :D

Sorry things suck right now and I totally agree with that stupid it could always be worse crap. It seemed like whenever someone would say that then things did get worse. I've changed it to it could always be better and guess what it has! I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I hope my new motto will work for you too.