Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Scar, The Fuzz and More Fuzz

Bombay has something to say.

My boo-boo is looking and feeling much better.

My husband and I went on a short geocaching trip this morning.  As we were about to back out of our driveway a Sheriff's Deputy drove up our road.  I had to pause to see where he was headed.  Can you guess?

Where else?  He drove to my annoying, weird, nosy next door neighbors' place, but he couldn't get in, because they had their front gate locked.  Hmmmm.  It was almost as if they were expecting him and wanted to keep him out.  I watched for a little bit, but it didn't seem like anyone was going to let him in.  He just sat there doing surveillance.  I wondered if he was looking at the suspicious, wrecked car that magically appeared one day.  I guess there's no need for me to call the police now and give them the license plate.  I'm sure they know about it now.

You know how I say that these people shouldn't be allowed to board animals, none-the-less babysit kids?  Well, yesterday I was standing in the kitchen window rinsing a dish when I saw my neighbor woman come racing up the street in her car, looking in her rear view mirror and smiling.  A short time later the little boy she babysits came running up the dirt road with her dog on a leash and they were both chasing the car.  The dog lunged ahead, pulling the boy right off his feet and he slammed down onto the road face first skinning his hands and knees.  The dog took off after the car.  The boy got up in tears and the woman didn't even stop or come back to get him.  He had to limp back to her house.

Anyway, we started our geocaching journey and missed the first cache, because it turned out that the street we were looking for did not have a street sign.  We should have just been watching the GPS coordinates.  I wasn't interested enough to turn around, so we moved on to the next cache.  This was our second attempt to find this one.  We couldn't find it on the first try because there was too much snow.  This time we found it.

Then we stopped at the equestrian center to visit Gabbrielle.  Apparently, she isn't learning her lesson, because she has even more scars on her body from other horses kicking and biting her.

We found a second cache fairly easily and moved on to a third.  I didn't know that the road I had to take to get there was a dirt road.  I wish Google maps would differentiate between the two.  Part of the reason why I chose to go geocaching was because I thought it was an activity I could do safely without my lousy luck forcing me to vomit up another several hundred bucks to fix an unexpected problem.

We found the third geocache in some sage brush and my husband said, "I'd like to kick the butt of the next person who hides a cache in sage."

It is terrible.  When you move a branch, the stink gets up deep in your sinuses and you get an instant headache.  I've had a runny nose and have been sneezing ever since this trip since 2 out of 3 of the caches were hidden in sage brush.  So, while I was signing the third cache, my husband was playing with some red ants that were trying to move a stick.  I noticed that the ants were crawling on our shoes and trying to get up our pant legs, so I said, "Let's get out of here before we get bit," but it was too late for my husband, and of course, he's allergic to ant bites.

So, that was the end of our trip.  We had to go straight home for the Calamine Lotion.  That was when my husband found that while off-roading in my mother's car, we broke a heat shield in the wheel well and it was hanging down dragging on the tire.  Dang it!  It's not something that can be fixed with a few screws, because the other half of it is broken off and missing.  We will have to take the car into a mechanic and get the part replaced.

I'm at my wits end with these unexpected expenses.  I just can't take it anymore.  I'm going to climb into bed and stay there until someone comes to me with good news, which hopefully will mean that my luck is turning around for the better and I can get back to living my life minus the endless drain of my pocketbook.  The best news I can offer is that we've got lilies:

My poor son came home from his sports camp half a day early with a violent stomach flu.  He was so sick that he couldn't even speak to me.  He just said he was sick, ran for the bathroom, and then passed out on his bed.  He didn't look like my son, though, because some boy at camp took some electric clippers to his hair while he was sleeping.  The kid said he didn't like my son's rat tail.  The boys in this area are very anti rat trail and anti mullet.  For some reason long hair on men scares them.

So, in order to repair the damage, some kids finished shaving my son's head and gave him a Mohawk.  He's fuzzy on the sides and has a thick shock of hair in a stripe right down the center of his head.  He does look handsome in it, but he's as far from being a punk rocker as anyone I know.  He sure is going to give the students at his new university the wrong impression about who he is.

If there is anything I've learned this year, it is that I have absolutely no control over my life.  If bad things are going to happen, they are just going to happen and I can't do anything to stop it.  In fact, the harder I try to avoid problems, the harder they seek me out.  I just want a little simplicity in my life.  I want to be able to drive a car without breaking it.  I want to be able to hand-water my pasture without tripping over the hose.  I want to be able to take a shower without getting attacked by a spider.  I want to be able to eat a sandwich without dripping something down the front of my shirt.  I want to be able to pump some antibacterial soap into the palm of my hand without it ricocheting off my palm and splattering all over my shirt, or worse yet, into my eye.  Okay.  I'm done with that rant.

Now onto what happened this afternoon.  I walked outside to get the mail and didn't see any vehicles on the road.  I always look around, because sometimes my nosy neighbor takes me by surprise and follows me to the mailbox either on foot or in her car.  She did it to me the other day when I heard an engine start up and saw that she was parked behind my barn.  Anyway, as I began walking across my lawn I heard voices laughing very loudly in a mocking manner.

I looked around, but didn't see anyone.  It felt like they were right next to me.  Then I saw a green car slowly moving behind the pine trees on my driveway.  I knew it was one of my nosy neighbors' friends.  This woman has been practically living at their house, and if she catches neighbors out and about, she forces religious pamphlets into their hands.  I wanted to avoid her, so I headed in the opposite direction.  Once she passed, I finished my trek to the mailbox.

I passed my husband on the way in the house, as he was out hand-watering some dead spots on our lawn.  He came back into the house a couple of minutes later and said that the Sheriff was back and he was looking my husband over really well.  I looked out the window and saw that the Sheriff was standing on my nosy neighbors' porch talking to them.  He had his back to me.  The woman started pointing at my friend's house and the officer kept looking over there.

Then the woman started pointing at my house, and the officer turned around and looked directly at the window I was looking out.  I don't know if he saw me or not, but he kept looking back at me.  Then the woman went back and forth between pointing at my friends' house and pointing at my house.  After about ten minutes, he got in his patrol car and left.  I was half-expecting him to knock on our door, but couldn't imagine what the heck was going on.

I find it rather telling that the officer showed up just minutes after the neighbors arrived home with their friend.  I suspect my friend reported them for something and was watching for them, and was able to notify the Sheriff's office when they got home.  That would explain the timing.  But I don't know what the complaint would have been beyond the strange wrecked car showing up on their lot or perhaps the little boy being allowed to have the run of the neighborhood.  I know that my friend has complained that the woman has been letting the little boy she babysits run over to her farm and pester her all day long.  He hits her up for conversation at the crack of dawn, because his parents drop him off at the neighbors' house at 5:00 AM and his babysitter doesn't want to have to deal with him, so she just shoos him outside the second his parents drive off.  I know because they always happen to drive up right when I'm in the horse paddock in my pajamas, and they do their usual park and stare.

Ha ha!  I like it.  Instead of being a Park and Ride, my nosy neighbors' front lot is a Park and Stare.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll eventually find out why the fuzz was so persistent in paying a visit to my annoying neighbors.  Whatever it was, it sure looked like the woman was trying to turn the blame on my friend and me.  I know for a fact that she is incapable of taking responsibility for her own actions, because when I've asked her to stop some of her more annoying behaviors in the past, she just pointed the finger at someone else and said, "But he is worse about it."

8 comments:

Mikey said...

Wow. Just wow. I'm curious as to what it's all about too.

Breathe said...

Well, let's hope they are being instructed on privacy laws.

One can hope.

As for the tragedy trail, I hope you get a break from that road!

fernvalley01 said...

Weirder than usual! You wanna just come up here and camp in my back yard, I am too busy to bug you , and no one will look for you here. we are a safe place to hang out if you don't mind swarms of mosquitos

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Mysterious!

Bummer about the geocaches. I don't like sage ever since Apache OD'd on it last summer.

Hooray that Bombay's wound is almost completely healed!
More about Gabrielle, please? Photos?

~Lisa

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That's curious behovior of your neighbor and the police.

Bombay's leg is looking much better. His coloring is so much like my Annie that I have to just stare...

Cheryl Ann said...

Your neighbors are just WEIRD! Good news about Bombay, though.

Anonymous said...

Strangely satisfying to see the fuzz at the problem neighbors', isn't it?

Bombay is looking good!

achieve1dream said...

That woman is just nuts!