Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day Trip

I finally got together with my psychologist friend and drove with her into the mountains to find my mother's Native American friend and discuss various mysteries of the universe.  After getting hit over the head with reality day after day, it sure was nice to get out and talk about possibilities beyond the realm of the mundane.

Of course, I had to stop at every old barn and cabin along the way to take pictures.  I've got a bit of a barn obsession now.  I guess old barns represent slower times for me.  I won't call them simpler times or easier times or less stressful times or even better times, because it's hard to compare my life to the lives of others when I haven't walked a mile in their moccasins. 

We visited a creek and a river where I fished with my father when I was a child.

I asked my psychiatrist friend for her assessment of my nosy neighbors' behavior, but she was just as baffled as I am.  She thinks that they have picked up on my unusual sense of awareness and are either frightened by it or fascinated by it.  They are probably used to being able to observe other people without the people knowing, but I always seem to know when they are watching me, which for some reason makes them watch me more.  She didn't have any suggestions on how to deal with them.

My mother's Native American friend was very warm and open about her beliefs.  She discussed topics such as the afterlife with me.  I told her about the dancing crow doll, and though she wasn't familiar with the doll or it's meaning, she did tell me that I should have kept the doll if it was my mother's favorite thing.  She said her own dolls are very special to her.  I later read that most Native American tribes create dolls that symbolize various things and some are considered to be sacred.  I also stopped at a Native American trading post, and the owner did say he carried those dolls at times, so it is likely that my mother bought hers there.

On the way home, we had to stop at Walker Burger just for the experience.

This is the little roadside hut where they cook the food.  Yum.

This is the little park they created beside and behind it for people to sit. 

They decorated it with all kinds of interesting items.




7 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

That looks like a lovely day trip. Glad you got out in pretty scenery (old barns are beautiful) and had a nice visit with your friend. A burger joint like that looks like they would cook up some good burgers.

Cheryl Ann said...

What a cute burger place! We'll have to look for it next time we are up there.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I sure do love road trips! That hamburger place looks very cool. I'm glad you took the time for yourself and your friend and even met up with your Native American friend.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds like a wonderful road trip and a getting away from it all is just what you needed.
I'm glad you went back to Walker Burger again. I remember how magical and special it had seemed to you the last time you visited.

~Lisa

Dreaming said...

I feel a sense of peace and well-being, just from looking at the pictures of your trip. I bet it was a great retreat from all that has been going on in your life!

Crystal said...

Sounds like a perfect day away from your nosy neighbors! I love old barns too (and new ones) and have lots of pics of them as well.

achieve1dream said...

That is a really pretty place to stop and eat.

That's actually pretty funny that your psychiatrist friend is baffled by your neighbor's behavior. Just proof that they are bizarre lol.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. :)