Friday, August 12, 2011

Forget Planet of the Apes...

It's planet of the skunks over here.  Yup.  I got woken before sunrise again by my husband running through the house screaming for me to keep the dog off the bed.  He said a huge skunk somehow got into the yard.  I leaped out of bed and scooped Scrappy up (Midge is smart enough to avoid skunks), and Scrappy was soaked in skunk oil.  It got all over my pajamas.  I dumped him in the tub and put together the best concoction I could, having only 1/4 of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the house.

On his previous skunk attack, I couldn't find Dawn liquid soap.  They don't sell it in my town for some reason.  However, on my last trip to my mother's house I found one and a half bottles of Dawn and jumped for joy.  Although, had I known this skunk problem was going to be never-ending, I would have gone to the market in my mother's city and stocked up on Dawn.

I stupidly dumped some baking soda as the last ingredient in my concoction, and the entire liquid bubbled up and spilled like witch's brew all over the kitchen counter and floor.  I know how to mix the stuff -- I was just half asleep.

Yesterday I had so many appointments and errands to run that by 3:00 PM I hit a wall and was in too much pain to do anything other than lay on the couch.  I literally couldn't walk, and still had several loads of laundry to do.  I pushed through it and swore that I would not do anymore laundry for at least 3 more days.  Then this skunk thing happened, and guess what I'm doing less than 12 hours later?  Laundry.

My husband couldn't figure out how these skunks keep getting into our dog run, because it is surrounded by 5-foot high chain-link.  It turns out that there are holes under the fence behind our well house, but that still doesn't explain how they get into the section we keep closed off for the dogs.  They must be able to squeeze between the gate and the post.  I'll have to find a piece of plywood to cover the gate.

I returned home from my trip to my mother's house only to have several people call me over a period of two hours and book up the rest of my week and weekend.  It's that time of year when me, my pets, and my vehicles are all due for maintenance.  Somehow it all falls on the same week twice a year.  Well, we no longer have health insurance because my husband's employer is going broke, so we are now required to dump a percentage of his paycheck into a special account, which we are supposed to dip into when we need to pay medical bills.  However, our deductible is so ridiculously high that we'll never get to a point where we can even tap into that account.  Everything is coming out of our pocket right now in addition to my husband's paychecks being considerably smaller.  My husband saw a dentist and an optometrist recently, and we have to pay for all of it ourselves.

So, I promptly cancelled my dental and optometry appointments.  I'll clean my own teeth and borrow other people's old glasses as my prescriptions grow too weak to keep up with my loss of vision.  Unless the dogs need shots, I'm not taking them in for wellness exams.  I know when they are sick and what weight they should be.  In all my years of owning dogs I have never had a vet find a problem I didn't know about during a wellness exam.  Anyway, despite my efforts at canceling appointments to save money and time, I still managed to get overbooked this week.

I innocently took my truck in for a long overdue oil change only to be told that I need a freon and coolant replacement.  I suspected as much, because I had no air conditioning on the way home from my trip.  I'm lucky my radiator didn't overheat driving up to the summits.  After doing the job, I was then told I had to bring the truck back in between 2 to 4 days so that they can make sure that no air bubbles built up.  Argh.  Like I've got time for that.  They should have told me this catch before doing the task to make sure I could spare an extra hour over the next 2 to 4 days.  It really bugs me how so many people just assume that everyone has spare time.

The next 36 hours are going to be intense for us.  We have to juggle a lot of activities such as picking up a horse from a training center, getting our son to the airport in Reno while he is in Fresno, so that he can go to Phoenix and check-in at his university by 7:30 AM on Sunday morning.  The poor kid has to travel to three states within two days, because his schedule is so tight.  We can't afford to have any more skunk attacks or to have anything unplanned happen right now.

I've been hoping that a job in my line of work would open up locally, but I live in a farming community, so I have to travel long distances for high tech jobs.  Ironically, a high tech company just moved here from another state a few months ago and opened up a position that I am qualified to perform.  I got excited and decided to get my resume in order, but then paused.  With my schedule being so insane, could I really pull off working full-time?  We need the money, but my life has to seriously settle down before I could hold a full-time position without having a nervous breakdown. 


Breathe said...

then again you might be able to hire someone to give you a hand.

Our lives are too busy. I suspect our ancestors had much more time. somehow the labor saving devices have just created more labor.

It's weird.

Mikey said...

Breathe is right, our lives are too busy. It's so hard to find a way out too. I'm making some big life changes very shortly in order to simplify my life. It's just too much, as I'm sure you know. We kill ourselves trying to do it all and yet still fall behind. Very very frustrating. I feel for you, I really do.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Decisions, decisions. Only you know what you should do.
I wish there was a way for you to do consulting work, so you could work from home and have more flexibility...if that's even possible from home anymore.
There's always positives and negatives with all work opportunities. The challenge is to figure out what you are willing to live with.

I just hope the skunks stay off your property. (The furry ones, and the human ones, too)


Cheryl Ann said...

You know, this summer, while off from school, I've got very little done...sigh..and school starts the 24th...I had to take my car in for new brakes and then return the next morning because they didn't grind the rotors properly...(pulling out hair...)So I lost 2 days there. I need to get my German Shepherd for shots and know I don't know when I'll be able to do that. I hear 'ya...there's NEVER enough time to get everything done!

Vaquerogirl said...

Ugh the eternal dilemma! Work that pays or work that dosen't! I feel for ya sister- I have gone through the same thing. Still getting that paycheck sure is nice-
But having the time to put our lives in order is nearly priceless..
Good luck with all of it!

Dreaming said...

It's amazing how things pile up.
Regarding time...I found that when I had a job I still managed to get things done that needed doing. I guess I learned to pick my priorities. It's kinda like having children - they require a lot of time... but we manage!
Hope your week is productive, but not overtaxing!

Tell those skunks to stay away! Yuck!

achieve1dream said...

Yuck. I'm glad we don't have a problem with skunks. I hope the board helps keep them out.

We have no health insurance either. It sucks!! I'm avoiding the doctor now unless absolutely necessary. I'm also forgoing all preventative/maintenance visits for now, except my thyroid. It's mandatory unfortunately. Sigh. And expensive! I hate lab work.

I hope things settle down soon. It would be so awesome if you could get that job.