Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Latest on the Wildfire

At sunset Tuesday night the smoke from the wildfire turned into a huge orange plume.  A firefighting helicopter hauling a large red bucket came flying along in front of the orange plume and would have made a great photo, except I couldn't get to my camera and install my telephoto lens in time.  This photo was taken from my back yard...

I did get a silhouette of the helicopter flying back for more water, though.

Here are more pictures of the fire overlooking the Arabian horse farm...


The fire line heading down the hill over my neighbor's horse walker...

As it got darker outside, my camera lens stayed open for a longer period of time, so the pictures became blurry.  I couldn't find a tripod tall enough for this job, because I had to perch precariously on a fence or stool to look over all the fences.  There was nothing to brace the camera against.

The sun had set and it was fairly dark out by this next picture, but the camera let in so much light that it still looks like day.

This is a picture from this morning overlooking my round pen.  I was able to set the camera on a fence and got a clearer shot.


17 comments:

Wazzoo said...

GEEZ!!! It looks like it's coming right at you. Are they saying anything about evacuation?

Mrs Mom said...

Dang NuzMuz- be careful out there please. Dont wait too long to get the heck out of Dodge for a bit if you feel the need. (This from a former FF who has been in a few wildfires in years past.)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

The latest news reports say that fire has burned 2,000 acres, 100 residents were evacuated, and 2 buildings have burned. They are not asking anyone in my neighborhood to evacuate. It's burning so quickly to the north because there is a lot of fuel in the mountains -- trees close together. I'm sure if it came down out of the tree line it would slow down. There's a lot of grass, sage, and dirt between us and the fire.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Oh, and the fire was human caused, of course. I'm telling you I live with a bunch of idiots.

appydoesdressage said...

Wow that doesn't look good at all. Good luck and hope you don't have to evacuate. Hopefully they will get it put out quickly!

Jeni said...

Holy crap Nuz ~ I'd still have a plan with all the critters to get out of there. Plan for the worst, hope for the best is my motto!

Be Safe!
~Jeni

Linda said...

Looks dangerous. I imagine the smoke you're dealing with is bad, too. Stay safe.

Mikey said...

That looks so close!!

Cheryl Ann said...

Nuzz, be safe! I know that while the big San Diego fire was burning last year, a lot of people had breathing problems. That sure looks scary!

Crystal said...

Wow that sure looks scary and close!

fernvalley01 said...

That is scary close! I s the air quality ok?? Do stay safe my friend and if you need to go , go ! the only things irreplaceable are you and your loved ones

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Holy Crap!!!!

That's so close to be able to see the flames. My heart would be racing!

Stay safe, k?

~Lisa

Johara said...

Be safe! KBUL said the fire was only 20% contained this morning. :(

Cut-N-Jump said...

I hope you and your animals are safe as well as your property if you should have to leave. Wishing you all the best in what could easily turn into a scary situation.

Of course the fire was caused by people. Seems the majority of them are.

Wazzoo said...

I remember as a kid, my family use to live in Imlay, NV. When Star Peak would catch on fire, it was very scary to see. Glad you are staying safe!

Katharine Swan said...

Wow, how scary! That looks so close! I'd better hurry up and get to the more recent posts, and make sure nothing bad happened to you, your family, or the horsies. :o(

achieve1dream said...

Yikes! That's way too close!!! Good thing I don't live there because I wouldn't be nearly as calm as you are.