Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Cave

You've heard of the term "man cave."  I've been spending a lot of time in the garage lately sorting through boxes of stuff and making decisions on what to keep, what to throw out, and where to store things.  I drag a chair in there and flip through old yearbooks from the 1950's.  It's rather enjoyable being in the shade with a soft summer breeze floating in.

However, literally every time I am out there, my nosy neighbors magically appear out of nowhere and sneak up on me.  As soon as I spot them, they take off, but I always wonder how long they had been watching me.  There was the one time in which two vehicles in my driveway blocked my view, but I kept hearing noises.  When I finally walked out to investigate, I found my neighbors pulling out of my driveway.  They had been parked in my driveway just a few feet away from me for quite some time and I wasn't aware of it.

Another time I heard nothing, but just happened to look up to see the woman in her car idling at the end of my driveway just staring at me sitting in my garage.  When I caught her staring, she drove off.

In the most recent event, my son had a friend come over to visit.  He parked his car in our driveway, which was fine.  A few minutes later I heard a car door slam.  I thought, "J's not leaving already, is he?  He just got here."

I walked out of the garage onto the driveway, but didn't see J in his car.  I looked all around confused, trying to figure out who slammed a car door, because all of our cars were empty.  Just then my nosy neighbor's car appeared out of the trees at the end of my driveway and she raced up the road to her house.  I had been putting around in the garage talking to myself, just saying innocuous things like, "This can go here" and "That can go there" and probably farting out loud, but it still bothered me that the woman parked on my property and got out of her car to eavesdrop on me. 

She was most likely investigating J's car also, since she had never seen it before.  Every time a different car shows up in our driveway, all the neighbors get curious and start asking questions because we don't have visitors often.  Anyway, now that I know what kinds of activities lure this woman in, perhaps I can set up a trap for her and hide in the trees with my camera.  I've tried that in the past, but the offenders didn't show up and I just ended up wasting my time, but right now that woman has a 100% success rate in materializing out of thin air and trespassing on my property each time I'm in the garage.

Unfortunately, my son won't be around to participate in my dastardly deeds anymore, so I may have to pull a Blazing Saddles move and make some dummies of myself while I wield my camera.  He's leaving for one last hurrah in the pole vault pits and then flying to his university.  It's time to do a household makeover.  Hee hee.

12 comments:

appydoesdressage said...

You could be very cruel and make a stop stick to put in your driveway. Some long nails added at a slant through a piece of wood about 8-10 feet long. Then they would certainly pay the price for trespassing?

Mikey said...

lol, I can just picture you making up dummies. You should totally do that, lol. I sooo want to see video of your weird neighbors sneaking around.

Reddunappy said...

OMG Nuz Muz, I would absolutely go postal!!! I am telling ya!!
I just cant believe the stuff you have put up with, your crazy neighbors, at your house and your moms!!! OMG again!! YOu are a saint!!!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

It's very interesting...and sickening...to see what kind of scavengers people turn into upon someone's death. We have experienced much in that department as well. So I'm not entirely surprised to hear about your mother's neighbors. But it is still sad to have to deal with that crap when you are left to deal with estate business.

As for your local neighbors...WTF???

There is seriously something wrong with the people in your neighborhood. Are you going to try to capture them on film (digital) so you can possibly get a restraining order to keep them off your property?

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, I like the dummies idea! My gosh...they certainly are NOSEY!

Wazzoo said...

I'm a lurker who enjoys your blog. I don't know how you do it. Those people would drive me nuts. I would end up putting up a HUGE sign telling them just what I think. How old are these neighbors? I hope you can catch them on camera and put it on YouTube. Then send it to the police and get them for harassment.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Maybe just getting signs that say "This area monitored by security cameras" or something like that and posting them on the Nosy side of the property??? Maybe even buying cheap cameras and putting them up here and there?

Harbor Freight tools has a cheaply priced driveway monitor you may be interested in. Lets you know when they pull in at least. Some of their stuff is cheaply priced because of cheap quality, but you can find things like this that would save you some time and hassle while catching them in the act.

Gotta warn you though, it may be far worse than you suspect. They may be doing this far more than you already know about.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Wazzoo - They are in their 70's and 80's.

Cat-N-Jump - I already have cameras, driveway alarms, motion-sensor lights, special locks, signs, etc. and they all fail me for one reason or another. These people just don't care. They are not affected by anything I do other than when I film them or take their pictures.

There is no cheap or simple solution, plus what is "cheap" to most horse owners is expensive to an unemployed person like me who is currently paying my own family's bills, my dead mother's debts, my handicapped brother's bills, and putting my kids through college.

This intrusive neighbor issue has been going on for 6 years now and I've tried everything to keep these people out of my business. Just this morning I was in my garage and I knew the woman had to be lurking around somewhere, but I couldn't see her. I went back in the house, turned around to look out the window, and she stepped out from behind a tree, then proceeded to tip-toe back and forth between each end of my driveway, pretending to be walking her dog while she waited for me to come back outside so that she can hide behind her tree again. Unfortunately, I couldn't film her, because my farrier was showing up to trim hooves.

Those who have been reading my blog a long time know all of my failed attempts at trying to regain my privacy... planted trees and horses ate them. Planted other trees and the winter killed them. Tried to come up with $20,000 to build a wall, but county codes prevented me from building one high enough that they can't see over it. Tried to buy chain-link privacy strips and my husband forbade me from spending the money. I'm just praying for a miracle, so I can move. I have no support from my family in moving, though. It's way more complicated than anyone can imagine.

Also, regarding the stop stick suggestion from ADD, did you know that if someone comes onto your property without permission and trips over a hose, they can sue you? At least that's the way it is in my state. One homeowner shot a man who kicked down his front door, and the homeowner was tried for murder. The judge said the homeowner should have asked the stranger what he wanted before shooting him! It turned out that the guy was on drugs when he kicked down the door and he didn't know what he was doing. So, does that mean being on drugs makes it legal to do home invasions? This world is so screwed up.

Maia said...

These people are beyond belief. Who do they think they are to harrass you like this. I hope you can get them on camera.

Tell us about your household makeover.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Your neighbors are very creepy. It's wrong of them to set foot on your property and park their cars in your driveway like they do. I don't know how you have endured that for 6 years.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Maia - The household makeover was more of an empty threat. All parents threaten to take over their kids' rooms when they leave for college. All I'm doing it making room for my mother's stuff. We did rip all the wallpaper off the bathroom wall, but are waiting to get some time and money to actually paint the walls. Paint is outrageously expensive now.

achieve1dream said...

Aww you're going to miss your son I bet. You guys always have so much fun together. I hope he has fun in school.

I like the idea of the nail strip to ruin their tires lol. If they complain about it just say you'd moved a board full of nails there temporarily because you weren't expecting anyone to pull in. Hehe so would serve them right. Jerks.

I'm glad you're enjoying your time going through your mother's stuff. I hope the weather stays pretty for you, although it would be really cool if a storm cloud of hover over you neighbor hehe.