Thursday, August 18, 2011

Road Test

I took some pictures of the fire late last night and tried bracing my telephoto lens on the fence while the lens was open, but it still shook. It's almost impossible to hold a camera still for 30-seconds without mounting it on something. But the pictures turned out really cool...

I thought the white thing at the top of this next picture was a star, but it turned out to be a helicopter headlight...

The road is still closed because of the fire. This sign was placed in a location that I'm sure won't make the mail carrier happy. He likes to drive right up to the mail boxes without getting out of his jeep, because he has a bad back.

My perfectionist neighbor is repaving her driveway AGAIN...

With the noise next door and all traffic in the neighborhood being routed past my house, I decided to put the horses out into the thick of it for some desensitization.

Trucks don't bother them anymore as long as they are eating.

After a while the neighbor's driveway pavers did something that spooked Gabbrielle and, of course, she ran to her mama.



9 comments:

Dreaming said...

The pictures are awesome! The fire seems so close - but I believe you said it is heading away from you - hope so!
You are right to take advantage of the learning experience at your door step! That's great for the horses!
Stay safe!

Leah Fry said...

Scary stuff! Stay safe out there.

Great pix of G.

Breathe said...

I'm catching up - certainly a great deal going on. Hope they get that fire fully contained.

Glad ms gabby is home - so she is under saddle, right? Wasn't sure how far along her training got. At least she didn't get seriously hurt. Our trainer has horses in for training and so many times some random thing will happen right when the owner is coming. One pair of horses who came in together for training were doing fine, then suddenly the gelding started kicking the snot out of the mare. They had been here for 45 days and nothing had happened to even indicate this would happen! Just a bunch of scratches and cuts, but I saw it happen.

Crazy.

Crazy.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I bet you're so glad to have her home :)

~Lisa

Crystal said...

I like the effect those pics of the fire have! looks so cool.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

My desensitization experiment didn't work out so well. When it came time to remove the horses from the pasture, we found that Gabbrielle had torn the skin off her legs in patches as if she took off running, fell, and slid over rocks and grass. Now I've got more vetting to do and the riding has to be put on hold again. I'm so tired of this. Does anyone want some suicidal horses that can never be ridden?

Cheryl Ann said...

Ha! I have a spooky horse, too, in Sunni. I don't know if he will ever be ridden safely...sigh...I know how you feel. Glad the fire is moving away from you. Be safe!

Katharine Swan said...

"Does anyone want some suicidal horses that can never be ridden?"

LMAO! I almost spit chai on my computer screen over that one. :-D

It occurred to me that your horses have the same personalities that children would have in that birth order. Lostine is the bossy oldest child, Bombay is the independent middle child, and Gabbrielle is very definitely the baby, looking for her mom and older siblings to take care of her! So funny!

achieve1dream said...

Gabrielle is so gorgeous! I love the picture of her head up and her tail over her back. So cute! Sorry she got hurt. I know how frustrating it is. Chrome is always getting hurt too.

I've tried taking pictures of stars at night and mine did like the helicopter picture. It is actually really cool. Some of them made shapes and letters lol.